Profile for Dr D > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Not Waving, But Drowning
Not Waving, But Drowning

4.0 out of 5 stars A v good first album, 11 Aug. 2013
Indie - folk is the best fit description I'm told. My description would be acoustic and vocal harmony out of the top drawer. A brilliant debut album, with 12 lovely songs. All are good, with a real chilling groove gently suffusing through the album. Really liking this a lot. Why no five star review? Well, though it is all very good, there isn't a song that really jumps up and grabs you by throat or sticks in your brain for days on end. Don't be put off however - you have to check these guys out! I think you'll enjoy.

Oko Town
Oko Town

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it from the first play., 4 July 2013
This review is from: Oko Town (Audio CD)
A Swiss friend put me on to these guys, who also happen to be Swiss! Indie pop at it's best is probably the best descriptor. Every song is good here. No duds. Clever lyrics, good vocal harmonies, and a nice beat to all the songs. Reminded me a bit of the Coral at times. Well worth buying.

These Wilder Things
These Wilder Things

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 30 May 2013
This review is from: These Wilder Things (Audio CD)
Ruth's 2010 album, The Garden, did not really grab my attention. Great voice but songs that were, for me anyway, difficult to get into, pleasant enough, but nothing that really stood out. This album I bought because of Mark Knopfler's involvement, and what a difference a couple of years makes. Still the same unbelievably beautiful voice, but now with songs that catch your attention right from the off and make you want to listen again and again. Country/Americana is probably the best description. Banjos, guitars, keys, flutes, fiddles, and some unmistakable Knopfler electric guitar on "Pockets", which is the best song on the album for me. The title track also deserves to be singled out - just sublime! Any criticism? Only minor. I think the last song on an album should be one of the strongest and most likely to click with the audience. Here the last song isn't really in that bracket, and that's a bit of a shame. Always nice to sign off with something truly special. Ruth Moody is going to be a big name in her field - there's no doubt. A very talented song writer and singer. Glad to have found her.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2013 4:16 PM BST

Departure and Farewell
Departure and Farewell
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars I like but it took a little while., 18 May 2013
This review is from: Departure and Farewell (Audio CD)
Never had heard of these guys before and bought the album only after a music contact recommended it highly. Put it on, and first reaction was "that girl has a lovely voice" but nothing else really registered strongly with me. I have listened to it a lot now, and it's a real grower, and I have gone from thinking 3 star stuff to giving it a 5 star rating. The songs are beautiful, tranquil in the main, and dominated by beautiful vocals and keyboard playing. A real chill out album that I can highly recommend.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2013 8:59 PM BST

How About I Be Me And You Be You
How About I Be Me And You Be You
Offered by Giant Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, 10 May 2012
Sinead is generally thought of as someone a few pence short of a pound coin. Perhaps she is - and perhaps she has to be in order to put out an album like this. It's stunningly good in so many ways. Ten songs, all great, all sung so beautifully, and every one of them clicked with me immediately. It's all there emotionally - vulnerability, neediness, love, passion, anger, regret, and a few more besides. Everything felt by your average human! Every word Sinead sings can be clearly made out and sometimes her lyrics are so in your face that they make you wince. Literally. Brilliant stuff musically and lyrically. Your heart will be touched and your own emotions roused. Fully deserving of a 5 star review. A supremely talented lady.

Slipstream
Slipstream

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't do too much for me, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Slipstream (Audio CD)
Bonnie is a classy lady with a great voice and the boys she plays with on this album are clearly brilliant musicians every one. The songs on offer here are a nice mixture of styles and tempos. That said however, the album starts pretty poorly for me I'm afraid. The first few songs are unremarkable and sound "dated" as opposed to "classic". Poor Gerry Rafferty will be turning in his grave - Bonnie's version of "Right Down The Line" sounded awful to me - the worst number on the album by far in my opinion. From track 6, things improve and the album becomes a very enjoyable offering, with the two strongest numbers kept to the end, "Standing in the Doorway" and "God only Knows". Sometimes it takes me a while to get into a song, so I've listened and listened, and listened again, and still feel the same about the first few songs here I'm sad to say. Only a 3 star album for me.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2014 12:05 PM BST

Hello Cruel World
Hello Cruel World

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 27 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Hello Cruel World (Audio CD)
This is the first Gretchen Peters album that I have bought. I therefore can't say how it compares with her other works, but I love this one from start to finish. The album is slow and melancholic in the main, with only a couple of slightly more upbeat numbers. Gretchen's sublime voice is just so full of feeling that it's difficult to believe and a total pleasure to listen to. The piano playing (Gretchen's husband, Barry Walsh)stands out also - nothing complicated but a perfect accompaniment to that voice. For me the stand out number is "Five minutes", closely followed by "Saint Francis". The former song is so laden with sadness, it's difficult to describe the emptiness and lingering grief felt by the character in the song. The effects of a broken relationship still being felt 20 years on. Any complaints? Not really. The trumpet in "Camille" sounds a little out of place to me, but that's it. Tune in and chill out to a lovely album!

The Band Perry
The Band Perry

4.0 out of 5 stars Rising stars!, 19 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Band Perry (Audio CD)
Bob Harris got this young trio onto my radar a week or two back. This is American country music but popularised to the max. It is a very enjoyable offering indeed. All of the songs on the album appealed pretty much straight away. The young lady's vocals are simply stunning throughout. The songs are fine but none are truly remarkable and the same holds true for the band - all fine but nothing mind blowingly memorable played. Everything seems to be a platform for the vocals and because of this, there is a slightly "samey" feel when you consider the package as a whole. Not a major complaint, just an observation. I'm loving the album a lot. Pity the show in London tomorrow is sold out - I would have loved to see them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2012 7:02 PM GMT

So Beautiful Or So What
So Beautiful Or So What
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars So beautiful., 1 July 2011
This review is from: So Beautiful Or So What (Audio CD)
Paul Simon is pure genius and this album is just outstanding. He fully deserves his iconic status in modern music. Elvis Costello writes a review of the album on the sleeve of the CD that is hard to beat and my attept to do the same is so poor in comparison. All of the songs on the album are simply fantastic. Lyrically the songs are so Simon - clever, catchy, witty, pacey, unique, beautiful. His voice is still great and he seems to have little difficulty in reaching highs. Great band with a great groove, and great guitar from Paul. I have had the CD for 2 weeks and nothing else has gone into my car CD player since it arrived. The songs are constantly going round in my head too! It is a long time since a CD has captivated me so much.

Blessed
Blessed

3.0 out of 5 stars It needs a few listens., 30 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Blessed (Audio CD)
This is isn't William's strongest offering by far, and I found it quite difficult to get into. Blessed and Copenhagen were the only two tracks that clicked with me straight away. The others needed quite a few listens before I really began to enjoy them. Plenty - ? too much - of Lucinda's tortured voice and not enough, for me anyway, of her beautiful country voice here. Great guitar work in evidence throughout the album. Stick with it and you'll grow to appreciate Blessed!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3