Profile for Aerin > Reviews

Content by Aerin

Aerin

Page: 1 | 2
What a Lady Needs for Christmas (MacGregor Book 4)
What a Lady Needs for Christmas (MacGregor Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 7 April 2015
I was attracted to the premise of the book (playing the hardworking, world-weary hero against sheltered members of the aristocracy) and it didn't let me down. On the whole, it was well-written and engaging. I like that the children read like children, and that the book addresses social issues.

However, the author has a curious preoccupation with national stereotypes that proves rather trying. In addition, some minor errors were spotted - the middle name of Mr Hartwell's daughter appears to change partway through the story, and a few prepositions have gone missing.

The Duke's Disaster (True Gentlemen)
The Duke's Disaster (True Gentlemen)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 7 April 2015
This was a really compelling read. Each of the characters was well-developed, even the minor ones; the hero and heroine were sympathetic and I enjoyed their interactions both with each other and the supporting cast.

Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Anti Chip Top Coat 13.3ml
Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Anti Chip Top Coat 13.3ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Use it quick!, 19 Mar. 2015
Really, really like this whenever I get a fresh bottle - goes on easy, dries fast and is super shiny. However, I don't do my nails that often (every few weeks) and I always find that the remainder of the bottle goes gloopy before I'm even halfway through. Attempting to use it then produces an unpleasantly thick, lumpy layer of polish that later "shrinks"... I assume this is due to solvent evaporation (and since this is a really quick drier, it must evaporate pretty quickly!) Overall, I like it, but don't think it's worth the price for how little use I get out of it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2016 11:10 AM BST

Christmas in The Duke's Arms
Christmas in The Duke's Arms

4.0 out of 5 stars Some of the best, 23 Dec. 2014
I really enjoyed the first three stories in the book and the fact that they all tied in. Although I thought that the first was by far the most charming, they were all engaging and believable. I also liked that the male heroes were responsible, slightly stodgy-seeming, "good-looking English gentlemen" - a bit of a change from the usual devilishly charming "rake with a heart of gold".

I was a little puzzled by the final story, which seems to have been inspired by a certain not-so-secret agent (whose exploits I do not follow). Perhaps because of this (I must not have got the in-jokes!), or because it didn't fit my expectations of a Regency romance, I didn't enjoy this one as much.

Finally I have to congratulate everyone involved on the lack of grammatical errors and typos. Much more professional than many Regency romance novels thus far encountered.

Buster Bathroom Plughole Unblocker 300ml
Buster Bathroom Plughole Unblocker 300ml
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 7 Dec. 2014
One of the pitfalls of student housing is that you often discover there has been no shower trap in the house for years = a hairy situation indeed. I've used this a couple times in various houses and it has always worked, but I can't compare it to any other products out there.

Dental Morphology: An Illustrated Guide, 1e
Dental Morphology: An Illustrated Guide, 1e
by Geoffrey C. van Beek B.D.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent reference, 19 Nov. 2014
This gives an excellent overview of its subject - I think many undergraduate students will find that course material on tooth morphology is still largely based on this. There are still other books out there that may supplement this e.g. by having full-colour pictures or more detailed diagrams of the teeth in question, or yet more information. However that is a point and not a criticism in any way - in this modern age there are always so many sources of information for anything you could want to know.

Harty's Endodontics in Clinical Practice
Harty's Endodontics in Clinical Practice
by Bun San Chong BDS(Lond) LDS RCS(Eng) MSc(Lond) MFGDP(UK) MRD PhD(Lond) FDS RCS(Eng) Dr.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant little book, 19 Nov. 2014
A brilliant little book that gives an excellent overview of endodontics in a logical order. The style is excellent, making for easy reading and it's the right size to tote around for reference. I feel that the authors make an effort to give balanced views of different approaches to endodontic treatment and weigh up the evidence. I think this is really important as different clinicians/schools may have different (valid) views on things and this can be confusing for the undergraduate student; having these views discussed in one's set text is a good reminder that we don't know all the answers yet!

Due to its size, this is not the most comprehensive book ever. However, the references at the end of every chapter are extensive and should provide lots of further reading for those so inclined. The authors also signpost references to review articles, useful for those of us who don't make a habit of going through lists of citations.

I really cannot fault this text; this is how more textbooks should be written.

Bistrotea Vanilla Peach Flavoured TeaPods (Pack of 1, Total 32 TeaPods) (Organic)

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong vanilla peach flavour, caffeine content?, 13 Sept. 2014
I should start by saying that I think this is a bit gimmicky - how much effort is actually involved in squeezing a teabag! I get that this could be a very useful product for "on the go", but then I think string and tag bags serve much the same function (and some of the newer pyramid-shaped ones allow the tea leaves much more space to infuse).

That said, I am a bit of a tea snob. Also, I bought the product anyway (still love a good gimmick, me).

I have to say that it did taste (overwhelmingly?) like vanilla peach, and several family members (non-tea drinkers) liked it also. I think it would be nice as an iced tea. It's not the most economical product, however, and for this price I would rather indulge in a loose-leaf tea. If you're looking for convenience and a strong peachy flavour, this might hit the spot.

I have one minor niggle about the packaging/product information - it would be great if we were told what kind of tea (green? black? rooibos?) was in the product! For example, the product info here says this is caffeinated, but it is described as a "Red Tea" on the "Grand Collection" product page. I understand red tea normally means rooibos, and this is what it tastes like to me. My mum cannot have any caffeine, so I would like to know!

Pickard's Manual of Operative Dentistry
Pickard's Manual of Operative Dentistry
by Avijit Banerjee

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a let-down?, 4 Sept. 2014
This book makes a valiant attempt to consolidate up-to-date information on many subjects. This makes it a good starting point for further reading. However, I personally find the information organised (or not!) in such a way that it is impossible to easily refer to, if, say, one wanted a short course on caries (there are bits and pieces in at least four chapters which you have to hunt down using the index - not impossible or particularly difficult, but somewhat inconvenient). I do think dental undergraduates like myself would benefit from having this book, but I wonder how useful it might be for the more experienced dentist. I'm a little disappointed that I don't like it more. Perhaps it is just my personal preference.

MACK'S® Dreamgirl Soft Foam Earplugs (10 Pairs)
MACK'S® Dreamgirl Soft Foam Earplugs (10 Pairs)
Offered by Ana Wiz Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fit, comfortable, 23 April 2014
I'm a small person with proportionate ear canals and these are the only earplugs I can keep in for extended periods and don't leave my ear canals sore. They're very soft and easy to compress, which makes them easy to squeeze into my ears... I have to say they definitely don't block out the sounds of people talking, but they do block creaking stairs/dripping taps/typing sounds that I often find more annoying. Plus they're pink, so hard to lose!

Page: 1 | 2