Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now
Profile for Anna > Reviews

Content by Anna

Anna (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F**k: How to stop spending time you don't have doing things you don't want to do with people you don't like
by Sarah Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars There is far more to this book than meets the eye., 25 Oct. 2016
This is not a book about swearing, it is a vivid guide to working out what you should actually care about, spend precious time and energy on, and how to deal with complex human relationships about which waste you so much of your life worrying, with no resolution.

People who don't like the F word being used so often: substitute Care About and read on, this book is a gold mine.

People who are content with bland clichés such as 'always look on the bright side of life' to deal with horrors which come their way: this book is probably not for you.

Pointless and silent arguments in your head about family members? Read this book and grow calmer, having resolved with the brilliant flow chart, what is and what is not, worth caring about.

Endless dithering over domestic decisions? Read the Venn Diagram and analyse to your near-instant benefit.

I have to add that this book is very American and multiple references meant nothing to me. I even made a list but having done that, don't feel the need to type it out in an online review. Non Americans can easily read past those references and still get the basic message, so lucidly described within these pages.

I came across this book in time of need. It served me very well, and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants something more direct - and well-written - than facile glib trite phrases or psychobabble.

Bravo Sarah Knight, and I've never read nor intend to read, the tidying your socks drawer book. Who Gives A about socks drawers when there is so much else to be tackled?

VonHaus Storage Organiser Carry Case with 4 Clear Drawers & Adjustable Dividers - White - Great for Art/Craft/Hobby/Sewing Storage
Offered by DOMU UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Oct. 2016
I ordered this with keen anticipation to organise all my sewing things. It was a huge disappointment.

The case is far too small for all the things which sewists acquire as they go along: it wouldn't even accommodate half of mine. It isn't even good for just thread spools and bobbins, since only half the plastic dividers are removable. Some thread spools are too wide to put into the drawers and then close them. There is nowhere for scissors, snap-fitting tools, reels of tape/bias binding and other large items except the one large compartment under the lid which was instantly filled to overflowing. The more I got into it (having removed every single little plastic divider), the more it seemed like a pointless exercise in transferring half my accessories into another place, only to have nowhere to put the other half.

This would, I think, only suit people who do tailoring a lot, if all they want is somewhere to store their bobbins and needles and other tiny things.

I have requested a return/refund, which is a first for me on Amazon.

Numatic HVR200A Henry A1 Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner plus Kit A1, Red/Black
Numatic HVR200A Henry A1 Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner plus Kit A1, Red/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, 4 Aug. 2014
After a lot of research, to my own astonishment, I finally went for it and bought the Henry to replace my second Dyson. Hitherto I'd been a 15 years+ Dyson fan.

The Henry is not only quieter - about half the volume - but it has such awesome sucking power that (so far) there is no need to use the extra switch for that. Having said that, strangely - but I am very glad - it coped with slip rugs too, which the Dyson used to scream at and refuse to clean.

One filter bag already in place (I checked) and some more provided in the packaging. Assembly easy. The winding wheel for the power lead is much appreciated; I always disliked having to yank around the Dyson's long long long lead. The Henry's lead unwinds as you move.

There's a little clip to stow the upright pipe for storage too - nice touch.

Have not tried the stairs yet nor any accessories.

Pstyle - Female Urination Device
Pstyle - Female Urination Device

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 19 Jun. 2014
Tried it once then gave up. The sides are too hard, the entire thing is too short, there are no instructions as to whether to position it inside or outside the relevant area.

Fail. Waste of money.

Shewee Extreme - Pink
Shewee Extreme - Pink
Offered by Dales Distribution Ltd.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 19 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Shewee Extreme - Pink (Misc.)
The pointy end is too thin and hard, difficult if not painful to get into position. I tried repeatedly but got tired of changing my undies afterwards. Not well designed in my opinion, I am truly surprised that this device is so successful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2014 9:54 PM BST

Skipping Christmas: Christmas with The Kranks
Skipping Christmas: Christmas with The Kranks
by John Grisham

2.0 out of 5 stars Very American humour?, 9 Dec. 2013
Dire. I gave up at about page 85 because life is simply far too short to continue with an unfunny and disappointing book like this. None of the characters engage you, the narrative is plodding and the plot unbelievable for anyone who does not give a fig about what the neighbours think at Christmas.

The Terrible Privacy Of Maxwell Sim
The Terrible Privacy Of Maxwell Sim
by Jonathan Coe

3.0 out of 5 stars At least I finished reading it, 16 Mar. 2012
I hardly ever read fiction these days unless they are good old favourites. Now and then I try an unfamiliar author.

I nearly gave up on this book but made it through to the end. I found it strangely disturbing - which may be what the author intended - and also depressing, which is probably not.

One of the blurbs on the front or back cover is along the lines of "very funny". Is it? Not to me.

Another one for the charity shop, since I won't be re-reading it.

A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
by Chrissie Wellington

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 5 Mar. 2012
This is such a good book. I have not finished reading it yet, but felt compelled to come here and write a review.

I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in cycling, running, competitive sports, endurance, athletics, determination, and good writing.

She writes well - as you'd expect from a 1st-class degree + masters + a good career - and this is before her sports achievements even start. She writes so engagingly that as I read it, I think 'I'll only read a few pages now' but she draws you in and another 20 or 30 pages are read - I have to put the book down, otherwise I'd read it all on one gulp.

Her travels world-wide in the pursuit of her athletic career astonish me. Her determination and enthusiasm should astonish anyone interested in these sports, but not at that peak of athleticism to do it themselves.

If there were a 10-star rating system, I'd give this book 10, a first for me.

This lady should be honoured, somehow, in her own country. Sports personality of the year? OBE?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2012 10:38 AM GMT

Panasonic KX-TG8220E White / Silver DECT Digital Cordless Phone with Answer Machine, Colour Digital Display, 200 memory & Caller Display ( TG8220 e ) - NOTE: UK Model (Single Handset)

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but, 19 Oct. 2010
I had one of these in the house and needed to replace a corded phone/answerphone in the office, so bought another one.

Good - rings six times before answerphone picks up, unlike previous office answerphone which picked up after four rings.

Good - messages are stored until you manually delete them, unlike previous phone which only let you hear them once. You had to be fast on the pen and pad because you'll never hear that message again.

Good - small footprint, fairly easy to understand over-lengthy instruction book.

BAD - I have just found out, the hard way, that this device does not support *52# Call PickUp. This is mentioned nowhere in the over-long user manual. Had I known this in advance I would not have bought it for the office environment.

OK for home, not much use for multi-phone office environment.

Tourist Guide Wine Regions of France 2010 (Michelin Green Guides)
Tourist Guide Wine Regions of France 2010 (Michelin Green Guides)
by Cynthia Clayton Ochterbeck

2.0 out of 5 stars Stupid mistake casts doubt on rest of book, 28 Aug. 2010
I bought this book to research one region only: Beaujolais.

The Beaujolais region starts on page 116. On page 117 it states that the location is "South of Lyon, in the Rhone Alps."

Even though I have never been there, even I can tell that this is a glaring error and I am astonished that it made it through proof-reading. Beaujolais is North of Lyon up to Macon. The Rhone Alps are indeed south of Lyon, which in this book is chapter 12 entitled Vallée du Rhone, as shown on the inside front cover.

Additionally, the map on page 119 shows three suggested driving tours. Many roads are marked 2. Yet the detailed description of route 2 goes nowhere near these roads. Indeed, none of the three suggested driving tours go anywhere near these roads. Is one supposed to guess when one gets there and starts driving around?

I cannot comment on any other chapters nor their accuracy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3