Profile for Mr. S. J. Riley > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. J. Riley

Mr. S. J. Riley (CITY MANCHESTER ENGLAND)

Man City European Champions
Man City European Champions
by Eric Eastern

1.0 out of 5 stars side splittingly funny, buy a copy whilst you can................., 2 Sept. 2012
What makes me really chuckle about all the so called 'reds' is they call us bitter blues?! This from a club who's fans went to the expense to have a counting clock denoting our trophy free years installed at OT (paid for by a Dublin millionaire apparently, well he wasn't going to be a mancunian was he........), until we lifted the FA Cup. Then when we win the league in 'Fergie time' their hatred for all things sky blue intensifies even further. The best thing for me though about Reds in general,is those who have plenty to say (and let's be honest, they are well represented in every town and city the length of Britain), are the very ones who rely solely on the comfort of Sky Tv either in their comfy armchair or down at the local. Actually go to a match though?! What can't get a ticket (lie), I work (so do the rest of us), it's too expensive etc, I can't be bothered (most common answer). In the meantime, thank you for your continued interest in all things City! Happy to be Blue :-)

Disintegration [Deluxe Edition]
Disintegration [Deluxe Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars Another valuable addition for all you incurables out there.........., 16 Jun. 2010
Ok so if you're into the Cure, you were always going to add this to the collection. However I have found other groups are keen to fleece the fans by making one or two subtle changes to material you already have umpteen times, and stung you for plenty of money in the process. Not so with the Cure, this stands up along side the previous Deluxe Releases, and at the price I paid via Amazon, represents even better value than ever before.
The Album and Entreat are of course familiar to most of us, but the real treat for me was a little gem hidden amongst the 20 demos and outakes also included here in a 3 disc set (which also has the tastefully done plastic packaging and extended sleeve notes with unseen pics).
The gem I refer to is titled Pirate Ships, a solo effort by Lancashire's finest, Mr.R.Smith.
The track simply blew me away, had it made the album and a single I'm sure it would have been another classic. I played it to the wife, who despite not seeing them since the 80's, still likes to listen to them, and she was in full agreement - The best unheard Cure track we've certainly come across. Buy it while you can, there is something for everyone on these three discs. Enjoy!!!!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2011 9:31 AM BST

England 'Til I Die - A celebration of England's amazing supporters: 1
England 'Til I Die - A celebration of England's amazing supporters: 1
by David Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars for the fans, by the fans...................., 25 May 2010
Whilst enjoying the delights of Kazahkstan with England last year, I came across a leaflet asking England fans if they wanted to contribute to a book about, us, the fans. I thought, it's worth a bash, and if nothing else, it would make such a pleasant change from the rows and rows of Hoolie books to be found, somewhat disparingly, under the topic of sport. I dropped the editor a line by email with my thoughts, not expecting him to contact me back saying he loved the story and could I provide more. A few months later and the end result is, Im delighted to say, out on the book shelves, and I have no doubt that this will sell, and sell and sell! Get your first copy whilst you can, as this will be reprinted many times!!! It simply has it all, genuine stories of hardship, undying loyalty from a group of fans who suffer from the disease which got me all those years ago - OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder!!!). You will feel as though you are actually on the journeys with fans, experience the highs and the lows, fancy sneeking in to Turkey when anyone with an English passport is refused entry??!! It's all here. I for one can't wait for Volume's 2, 3 and 4 etc. Well done David Lane, and yes, I will share that beer with you in Graz!!!

Love (Omnibus Edition)
Love (Omnibus Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cult - Love - Omnibus edition, 28 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Love (Omnibus Edition) (Audio CD)
Can't thank the band, the label, and amazon enough for this product! Its outstanding value
for money. I wasn't sure about ordering at first, having purchased the album on its original
release. But there is so much material here, and the packaging is fantastic. Really recommend it to anyone who's thinking about getting it, you will not be disappointed! Well done Amazon
for the price, best value CD box set I've ever purchased. - The Cult Crew - Manchester (CityFC)
England

Hosannas From The Basements Of Hell
Hosannas From The Basements Of Hell

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh at your peril................!, 10 April 2006
This latest offering from Killing Joke is right up there with the best of their work. The title song and single - Hosannahs -
is every bit as punishing as Money is not our God from the Extremities album from 1990. Its a return to their roots, no Dave Grohl to promoto this time (and enormous credit to Benny on the sticks - I'm sure Big Paul would approve. Geordie still manages to produce harmony and melody amongst the madness. Raven's bass playing is as mean as he looks. As for Jaz, well his performance is akin to the devil being alive and well on earth, and seeing as though the devil has all the best tunes, I'm beginning to wonder.....! My message would be - go out and buy it - and play extremely loud!!!!