Profile for Phil > Reviews

Content by Phil

Phil

Chemo Cookery Club: Over 150 Delicious and Healthy Recipes for Your Journey to Recovery
by Penny Ericson

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding New Book!, 9 April 2013
I'm writing this review from my home in Vancouver, Canada since the main Amazon US site will not accept reviews until the book is released here. I managed to get an advance copy of Chemo Cookery Club from the UK where it's currently on sale. What a delight this has been. Why didn't someone think of this before? It's just such a natural. We all know someone with cancer. All of us. Sadly, chemo is also a household word now. This chef has curated her most beloved collection of recipes and re-built them from the kitchen counter up to create delicious food for the love of her life who has been battling bowel cancer. Every recipe pops both to the eye and tastebuds. This book is so worth it and here's why I think so.

There are exquisite dishes on offer from spectacular re-imaginings of classic comfort food to a gourmet's treasured favourites - all accessible to even the most kitchen-averse among us. I must confess that I'm a bit of klutz in that department - well, more than a bit. So I can't express how utterly refreshing this experience has been. It's like having a backstage pass into the chef's secret world - all the ninja tricks and shortcuts that make it all fun and very simple. The reward is devilishly yummy and exotic fare right at your fingertips. At the back of the book you get a 'cheat-sheet' guide through the quick and easy prep of basics like boiling pasta, making hollandaise, roux, wasabi, marinades - even mayonnaise.

My stand-out favorite is the popped oysters. No shucking! Mine were ready from start to finish in five minutes flat. It couldn't have been more simple - or mouthwatering. There's also a very helpful bonus - each recipe includes a nutrient chart along with protein and caloric counts. You should see the 'off the charts' nutrient scores the native Canadian wild salmon earns. It notes the pedigree originates from the Haida First Nations of British Columbia - and as a Vancouver resident, believe me when I say this is far-and-away the best salmon course I've ever enjoyed.

Sweet-tooth fans rejoice - the gems in this section are truly seductive. I was handily kidnapped by the limoncello gelato which is showcased as, "A little tastebud tingling jewel." Oh spring, you temptress, bring forth your precious pleasures. This section of sweeties comes with a siren call that you won't be able to resist. The pavlova is described as an experience, "You get to eat twice, first with your eyes!" which truly describes every dish in this book. The design and photo imagery is as brilliant as the recipes. You'll become very hungry after a few pages - and there are hundreds of those.

The advertising notes that it's a book that lifts spirits. Well, it certainly does that. The promise of big taste definitely delivers here and I understand from media interviews that the chef's Guinea pig-husband is still smiling very large, so I guess it *is* simple: there's no longer any reason to struggle making scrumptious meals.

Bon appétit!