Profile for m > Reviews

m

Fred Dibnah's Ups And Downs Of Chimneys [DVD]
Fred Dibnah's Ups And Downs Of Chimneys [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fred Dibnah

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a proper-job documentary. If you only buy one Fred DVD, then this is it. It's fascinating!, 4 Oct. 2015
This is footage shot by an independent firm, but is professional broadcast quality. Indeed the highlight - showing how Fred ladders a chimney - is shot from a hugely expensive massive tower platform hired in for the shoot.

Unlike today's TV programmes it's a relaxed pace which really allow's Fred's personality to shine through. This means that there are steady shots (none of this new-angle-every-two-seconds nonsense you get on modern TV), no 'scary drama about to happen' voiceover of modern documentaries which make delivering Cornflakes in an Eddie Stobart lorry sounds like climbing the north face of the Eiger, and no irritating chirpy incidental music.

What you do get is excellent footage, no 'wallpaper', and a highly competent DVD that makes it feel like you are with Fred every step of the way.

This is not at all like the BBC series - it's much, much, better and highly recommended. I never bother posting reviews, but enjoyed this so much I thought I would. Incidentally, I saw a crappy quality clip on YouTube, which prompted me to take a punt and splash out for the DVD

BookBook - Brown Leather Case for iPhone 4/4S
BookBook - Brown Leather Case for iPhone 4/4S

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, just brilliant!, 26 Feb. 2012
I bought this because I like the feel and look of leather and didn't want a case that shouted 'expensive phone'. It's easy to slip in apocket. I keep one credit card and a couple of notes in it - so it's handy when I pop oit with just my car keys, and don't want to take my wallet (it's a man thing). Also, the leather means that unlike some products, it's less inclined to slip out of a pocket. It offers good protection for the phone and is juts fantastic. It's almost as good as the phone itself!
Mel

Hear My Words, Choral Classics From St John's College Cambridge Choir
Hear My Words, Choral Classics From St John's College Cambridge Choir

5.0 out of 5 stars Oustanding, just oustanding!, 24 Jan. 2011
I have to say that I am NOT a choral fan (although I have very wide musical tastes, liking everything except opera, house and garage!). Indeed, this is the first choral work I have bought for many years.

Like many people, I've often heard Il salmo Miserere mei Deus by Allegri. But, as I arrived back at work after lunch today, I was just about to get out of the car when this new recording was being played on ClassicFM.

I was spellbound by the clarity, tone and range - even on my old FM radio in my 10-year-old Astra. At that point I had decided to buy it. So, I'm converted. And, happily delighted too.

As a P.S., I should mention that I don't normally write reviews for sites such as this, but it's the most remarkable recording I've heard for a long while.