Profile for Raych > Reviews

At the Sign of the Sugared Plum
At the Sign of the Sugared Plum
by Mary Hooper

5.0 out of 5 stars an interesting and exciting read, 17 Jan. 2005
Once again Mary Hooper has created an awsome book and described the characters so you get a real sense of them. I feel Hooper has done well in producing a story of the well-known plague crisis. Before reading this book I only knew snipits of what happened during the plague but Hooper has made me much more informed and given the plague a new and personal touch- I feel as though I was really there all those years ago!
This is an exciting read, there are a few unexpecteds and some thought-provoking bits, too. If you've ever read a Mary Hooper book and enjoyed it you WILL love this, and if you haven't you'll probably find this an enjoyable read too !

A Gathering Light
A Gathering Light
by Jennifer Donnelly

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST read for all!!!, 17 Jan. 2005
This review is from: A Gathering Light (Paperback)
Well what more can I say? As you can see from all the other reviews this book is WELL worth the read. Donnellly totally captures the reader into Mattie's world. The story is fantastic, there are lots of twists along the way, lots of emotion, you will feel shock, cry and laugh!
I absoloutely loved this book, I don't want to go into too much detail but this book is so cleverly written, the language is beautiful, you get to really know the characters, you can feel the scene, the plot is amazing. 'A gathering light' tackles so many different issues there really is something in it for every single one of us.
For my English Speaking and Listening I had to review a book and I chose this one, although I'm not a very good speaker I still managed to get loads of people asking me more about the book after my speech and lots of people have since read it and thoroughly enjoyed it ! (including my teacher)
A totally different story based upon true events written in such a beautiful way with such a vast number of issues, huge variety of emoiton, so much you can relate to, what more could you possiblly ask for out of a book?! As the name suggests this book shows the world that there is hope and you can be whoever you want to be. There is more out there for us all!
Highly enjoyable, totally engrossing, you won't be able to put it down and what's more you'll want to read it all over again! If only more books out there were like this one !

Megan
Megan
by Mary Hooper

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent - read the whole series in 1 night!!!, 30 Dec. 2004
This review is from: Megan (Paperback)
When I was younger I loathed reading, then a few authors helped me find my passion for books and Mary Hooper is one of those. I absoloutely love all the books of hers I've read and I was well aware the Megan series was a huge hit and after much anticipation I stumbled across the series in a bookshop and being as greedy as i am bought the whole lot ! I then raced home (ok- not quite) and i sat down on my bed and read and read and read until i had successfully finished the whole series !!!
Needless to say this series did not let my high expectations down, it is an excellent story, Hooper rly conveys the true feelings one might feel having discovered ur pregnant at such a tender age. She captures a whole host of emotions and the reader will be immediately drawn in and the excitement of the story never falls! This series is not just about pregnancy and the responsibilites that come with it; it is also about a normal girl caught up in a world which brings many obstacles and the way in which she has to cope and overcome these and what this leads to.
I can not highly enough praise this series- if you're interested in teenage pregnancy then the series is an excellent start although if you are pregnant yourself it would help to get a more practical help guide as well. And if you're just looking for a really good read then you've found one. If you're looking to give a book/series as a gift to your teenage girls in your life then I am almost certain they will love it and love you for showing them Megan's world.
It actually surprises me to say that I haven't re-read the series since that night because I have been enjoying many many other excellent books out there but I do so hope to read this series soon and I am sure I will keep it and give it to my daughter(s) if I have any. Other Mary Hooper books are also very very very good and if you like one; you will love them all !
It was a long time ago I read this series and I can still feel the emotion held within it to this day so it has truly left its mark. Bottom line: Loved the book, teenage pregnancy well captured, enthrilling read, well worth the read(s)! SO READ IT TODAY!!!!
p.s. hoped this review helped!