Profile for Mr. Richard Artes > Reviews

Content by Mr. Richard Artes

Mr. Richard Artes "richard_artes"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
I, Woz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon - Getting to the Core of Apple's Inventor
I, Woz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon - Getting to the Core of Apple's Inventor
by Steve Wozniak

3.0 out of 5 stars I was expecting more., 30 Dec. 2015
I was expecting more. It seems Steve Wozniak is writing this book to 'set the record straight' in his own words, so there are a few repeats of the same thing, that he did not quit Apple because he was upset, or his marriage collapsed because he was too much at work.
There is a lot of detail about the teenage years and the effort he put in by himself to produce innovative engineering designs. I was hoping for more details about his work at Apple, but maybe he is saving them for another book. The majority of this book is about the first years at Apple (Apple I and II) and then his move to the TV remote control company, he doesn't go into any details about later work at Apple. So this book is a bit lop-sided in my opinion. It reads like a transcription of interviews given by him, so he concentrates on the things he thinks are important, rather than tell the whole story. There is a lot missing. I liked Steve Jobs book by Walter Isaacson much more, maybe because he is a professionally writer and writing from a distance, instead of Steve Wozniak doing it in his own words.
If you are a child of the '80's and remember messing about with HP calculators, or home computers, or building electronic circuits in your bedroom, then this book will revive some memories (TRS-80? Atari ? Commodore PET? ) but not that interesting to someone wanting to read the whole Apple history.

DK Eyewitness collections: Dinosaurs. Facts at your fingertips
DK Eyewitness collections: Dinosaurs. Facts at your fingertips

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, 22 Jun. 2015
Our kids are fascinated by this book, I have to read it pretty much 5 times a week. Great facts and pictures, brings the dinosaur world to life.

The Natural History Museum Dinosaur Torch and Projector
The Natural History Museum Dinosaur Torch and Projector

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, really well executed., 4 Mar. 2015
Great idea, really well executed. Nice bright torch and fun pictures. I gave it 1 star less than 5 because the picture sizes are not that big. At a far distance they are bigger, but really hard to see. Apart from that a great gift for young kids (3 plus).

Brainstorm Toys Animal Torch and Projector
Brainstorm Toys Animal Torch and Projector

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, really well executed., 4 Mar. 2015

David Jason: My Life
David Jason: My Life
by David Jason

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read., 4 Mar. 2015
This review is from: David Jason: My Life (Hardcover)
This is an interesting book if you have followed David Jason's career. But it doesn't have a lot of interesting stories for someone who hasn't. I would have liked to have some of the events in depth, some more description around the stories. Other than that, a really interesting read, lots of name dropping of the luvvies of the 60's, 70's and 80's. He really did hang around with the stars of British TV and stage.

Black Books - The Complete Box Set [DVD]
Black Books - The Complete Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dylan Moran
Offered by joe4books

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic. I laughed so hard I cried., 11 Dec. 2011
Fantastic. I laughed so hard I cried. The combination of Bill Bailey, Dylan Moran and Tamsin Grieg is brilliant. I would love to own a shop that I could close whenever I liked. And the sign on the door says 'Closed' on both sides.

South from Granada (Penguin Travel Library)
South from Granada (Penguin Travel Library)
by Gerald Brenan

3.0 out of 5 stars I preferred Laurie Lees books about Andalucia, 11 Dec. 2011
I preferred Laurie Lee's books about Andalucia, they have more insight and written better. Gerald Brennan seems to be the typical stiff Brit abroad; just observing the natives and not attempting to mingle means you get a very expat view of Andalucia. He mixes with the Brits and describes their days together which doesn't tell you much about Spaniards or Spain.
He also describes the flaura and fauna way too much for me; I would prefer if he had met some spanish families and described what they talked about; life of the typical Spaniard, etc.
But readable, just don't expect too much.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2015 3:49 PM GMT

A Moment of War
A Moment of War
by Laurie Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not as good as his other books, 11 Dec. 2011
This review is from: A Moment of War (Paperback)
This book was written in 1991, which is almost 60 years after the events happened. I find it hard to believe Laurie Lee could remember in that much detail the minute things that happened 60 years previously. But maybe he could; or maybe he made really good notes at the time.
This book is a really interesting experience of war; the little details of Spain and the Spanish people make it fascinating read.
But it's not as goood as the previous stories (As I Walked Out and A Rose For Winter) which were brilliantly written and always make me want to read them again.
I suspect if Laurie Lee had written this book in the 60's he would have written it differently and with more detail.

If you want to read the book and don't want to spoil the end, don't read the next sentance.

The whole point of the book seems to be the last page, when he returns to London and his girlfriend says "I've been through absolute hell. I even went to a public phone-box one night, can you imagine that?"

Icons of England
Icons of England
by Bill Bryson

2.0 out of 5 stars this is not Bill Bryson., 22 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Icons of England (Paperback)
I was hoping for some Bill Bryson style, insight, quotes... but nope, just a lot of washed up drivel from people who miss their childhoods. Save your money and buy something funny!

Total Pop!: The First 40 Hits
Total Pop!: The First 40 Hits

3.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 28 Nov. 2010
Nostalgia fans will like this, but looking back we came a long way since the electronic pop of the 80's and 90's.

I'm not sure how this qualifies as 40 hits, as some didn't make the top 40!!! How is that a hit ?!?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2011 8:14 AM BST