Profile for TVOR > Reviews

Content by TVOR

TVOR "The Voice Of Reason" (W Yorks, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Philips Series 5000 Hair Clipper HC5450/83 with DualCut Technology, Titanium Blades and Cordless Use

2.0 out of 5 stars Give these a miss., 12 July 2016
After 6 months of unhappy ownership, this clipper is being relegated to the body hair and balls department.

I've been doing my own hair for 20 years on and off and these clippers rank as one of the worst I've tried. I've had a few Phillips models and have officially given up with them now.

I have close cropped hair (thinning on top), which this trimmer is okay at. #3 or 4 on top, a #2 round the back and sides. The main problem is the flimsy guard on this clipper which has resulted in me making tramlines and bald patches above my ears when I'm trying to do the sides and grade in around that area. Any uneven pressure results in the blades going too close to the skin. It's happened a number of times.

I've had to go to the barbers that many times now to tidy the mess up its ridiculous.

simplehuman - Code J, Custom Fit Bin Liners, 100 Pack - 30-45 Litre
simplehuman - Code J, Custom Fit Bin Liners, 100 Pack - 30-45 Litre

4.0 out of 5 stars but it's a nice big pack of bin-liners that fits nicely in the ..., 22 Jun. 2016
Not an awful lot you can say about bin liners I suppose, but it's a nice big pack of bin-liners that fits nicely in the kitchen cupboard under the sink and seemingly never runs out! Awsome. I will buy again when they eventually do.

Mindware Travel Qwirkle Board Game
Mindware Travel Qwirkle Board Game
Offered by a1 Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic game, 22 Jun. 2016
Fantastic game for those quiet moments with the kids, on a rainy day or to get out of the sun for an hour or two on holiday. Me, my wife and our two boys love this game. My 7 year old lad has an uncanny eye for double qwirkles!

Anker 6ft / 1.8m Nylon Braided Tangle-Free Micro USB Cable with Gold-Plated Connectors for Android, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Sony and More
Offered by AnkerDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Best one I've had so far, 22 Jun. 2016
Better than cheaper cables I've bought in the past for reaching to the back of the car and charging the kids tablets when we're on longer drives.

I use one at home too, for charging the tablet while i'm using it.

The length of the cable is good and it's sturdy, but as with most of these cables if you're using the appliance that you're charging, the connection with the charging port has become slightly loose giving an intermittent connection. I think a gentle squeeze with a pair of grips will do the job when I get round to it though.

Anker Car Charger 24W / 4.8A Dual USB Travel Car Charger PowerDrive 2 for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus/ 6s / 6s Plus, iPad Pro / Air 2 / mini 3, Samsung Galaxy Note Series, S Series & Edge Models; LG G4 / G5; Google Nexus 5X 6P; and Other iOS and Android Devices (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 22 Jun. 2016
Not much to say here, this is a fantastic car charger. Sits snuggly and discretely in the 12v socket and I can charge my android and iphone at the same time. Charging times are quick with around 70% charge in the 40 mins it takes me to drive to work so very handy for when I've forgotten to charge the work phone overnight.

I've got a pair of 6ft usb cables for when the kids are watching their tablets in the back on longer journeys too, and it keeps the batterys topped up nicely, meaning the kids are happy and we're free from nagging and moaning up front!

Car Phone Mount, EcoSuma Air Vent Smartphone Car Mount - Cell Phones Car Mounts, Car Phone Holder with 360° rotate for iPhone 6s Plus, Samsung S6 Edge, and Other Smartphones
Offered by Yuchi Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh..., 22 Jun. 2016
This looks like a great idea and sort of worked, for a very short period of time. The holder tends to bounce around a fair bit due to changes in the road surface. I went over a pothole, not particularly quickly, which caused the phone to bounce and on it's way back down it just kept going as the grips that hold onto the air vent slats snapped.

My search continues for a good phone holder for the car!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Extra Long 2 Meter Micro USB To USB Cable (Pack Of 5) (BOS-27U) Braided Tangle Free [Type-B] [Micro USB Cable] Free 30 Days Money Back Guarantee [18 Months Warranty]

1.0 out of 5 stars Updated review... rubbish., 30 Sept. 2014
EDIT: June 2016

Okay, so I've finally got round to updating my review... hopefully it'll stop some of you wasting any money.

These cables didn't last very long at all. My initial enthusiasm was short lived as one by one, they stopped doing the job they were bought for. Whether it be faulty connectors or fault in the wire I couldn't say but these wires were not fit for purpose and went to the bin at least twelve months ago. I'd say they probably worked properly for a couple of months each.

Avoid.

Original review...

I've had these for just over a week now and they are well made and the three that I have used from the box so far have performed well.

I can now use whatever gadget I'm charging whilst it is charging, without having to lean at a daft angle towards a plug socket!

The cables are tangle resistant as described which is very good.

I have noticed that the Micro USB plug which inserts into your device is slightly longer than those on the OEM charging / data cables which may lead to some leverage on the port on the device, so you need to be careful but haven't had any issues.

The Micro USB inserts snugly with no wobble and it's not likely to fall out easily at the slightest tug.

Kitsuné Maison Compilation 4
Kitsuné Maison Compilation 4

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor selection, 16 Jan. 2014
I'll be honest... I only bought this so I could get my hands on Stay On The Outside by Whitey as I was finding it difficult to find without resorting to Piracy.

There are a couple of other tracks on hear which are "okay" but the rest appear to be a collection of random white noises jumbled together to provide a far from pleasurable listening experience.

Based on this, I probably wouldn't ever consider buying another compilation by Kisune Maison ever again.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 24 Jan. 2012
Okay, so I read a lot of the reviews on here before before I splashed out. (I went and bought it half price at a well known high street chemist though...).

I have owned the Phillishave 8882 Sensotec for 8 years now and never really got on with it. I've got very sensitive skin under my chin and neck and was always suffering from skin rash and a burning sensation after using it even on hyper-sensitive setting.

I generally don't shave Friday - Sunday so would have a wet shave on Sunday nights with Gillette very expensive and then used the electric for the rest of the week. Sometimes I'd have to revert to Wet mid-week when my face just couldn't take it any more and the Shaver got shelved for a year or so at one point when It was misery to have to do my collar up and wear a tie.

So this new year I decided to treat myself. I was hoping that shaver tech had moved on somewhat in recent years and I was torn between this and the Braun Series 5 foil shaver as a new alternative. However, my beard is thick, grows fast and in several different directions, so the rotary is more suited to me and I was a little bit scared of the foil! With a bold claim for the best shave I'll ever have and a money back guarantee I went for it.

So how is it?

Brilliant. from day one I had no soreness, no rash, no problems at all. I used my regular post shave balm still but never even thought twice about my face all day. All week even.

It's a nice close shave, not as close as a wet shave with a new Fusion, but not a million miles off. It's so much better than my old Phillishave too... no stray hairs left anywhere, the heads really do pick up all the hard to get ones round the neck and jaw area.

Feeling pretty confident at this point, I wanted to test the claims of the 3-day beard out... pretty risky for me by Sunday night as I didn't have a shave on Friday either and I went at a 4 day growth.

It wasn't quick as such, a wet shave would probably have taken the same time with a cleaner result, BUT, it was painless, and stress free. My neck did tingle a little for a short time after I went to bed but by the morning there was no rash. I think I'll probably stick to my Sunday wet shaves in the future but it was good to test sand handy to know that this shaver can be a one-stop-shop for holidays without having to take all the wet stuff too.

I had a quick wet shave in the morning to tidy up round the nostrils and under the sideburns. these areas are where this shaver lets itself down a little and I always have found this with the previous Phillishave, you need to get in close with a blade to sharpen the edges. The trimmer is good for the stray hairs and the nose and ears but not for clean lines.

Battery life is fine for 2-3 weeks so unless you're going away for longer than that the charger thing isn't an issue.

So... get one.

Scar Night (Deepgate Codex Trilogy): Bk. 1
Scar Night (Deepgate Codex Trilogy): Bk. 1
by Alan Campbell

2.0 out of 5 stars Average read... more of a childrens book, 26 Jun. 2009
I read this a while ago now and it's just popped up on my screen again while browsing for something else.

I recall that the book was a little hard going at times, not out of complexity, it just took a long time to start going anywhere.

I can't say it's the best or worst read, I've certainly read much better. I won't be reading any follow ups.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2011 5:27 PM BST