Profile for Mark Appleby > Reviews

Content by Mark Appleby

Mark Appleby

Sagittarius Rising
Sagittarius Rising

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best first chapters you will ever read, 27 May 2014
The first chapter in this book is one of the best that I have ever read. The main body of the book covers the authors training on very basic trainer aircraft and charts his progression as a pilot through-out the war, covering a couple of tours on the western front and also on the home front. I found the chapters about the home front particularly interesting as I have always viewed the air war during this period as a particularly French affair. The book also charts the rapid technological development of aircraft during this thankfully relatively brief period of our history, and also covers the transition from Royal Flying Corps to the inception of the Royal Air Force.

The Author seems to come from a relatively privileged background, and his writing style is of his era and social class. However, the book does not really suffer for this, and the author comes across as a decent, honest person, doing his best under circumstances most of us can only really begin to imagine.

Towards the end of the book the Author talks briefly about his brief career after the end of the war, particularly about his relatively brief time in china, I found this part of the book a little maudlin and overly poetic. For me it detracted from a book that up to this point I had enjoyed very much. I was interested in what happened to the author after his experience in the war, but felt that he should either have finished the book at the end of the war, or to more fully describe his later career. I would, However, not want this to put anyone of this otherwise excellent book, the last part is relatively brief and after all, this is just one persons subjective view.

Conqueror (Conqueror, Book 5)
Conqueror (Conqueror, Book 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Book, 17 May 2014
I have read all the conqueror series, and really enjoyed them. The latest book is up to Conn Iggulden's usual high standards. I really enjoyed it, and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys well written and intelligent historical fiction (I would give it 4.5 stars if I could, but reserve 5 stars for really significant work).

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars A perfectly good travel adapter., 3 Mar. 2014
I Travel a lot, and this does exactly what I want it to do, I can charge an I-pad and I-phone at the same time using the USB ports and also plug in a laptop if I need to, I have used it in the US and Europe with no problems, and also use it when about in the UK to cut down on chargers. The design is a bit boxy, but apart from that I am more than happy with it.

BestDealUK Portable Flexible Roll Up 49 Keys Electronic Soft Keyboard Piano
BestDealUK Portable Flexible Roll Up 49 Keys Electronic Soft Keyboard Piano

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but no wonder., 3 Mar. 2014
I have recently started taking piano lessons, and while I have a decent Yamaha electric Piano at home, I spend a lot of time working away from home on a ship. I thought something like this would be good for travelling with, and practicing while away. I had modest expectations, which it has failed to meet, I guess it does what it says on the Tin, but the sound is so awfull it makes my teeth itch. I am giving it to my eight year old niece so she can annoy my sister with it, and fully expect to see it in a charity shop sometime soon.

Think Like a Bird: An Army Pilot's Story
Think Like a Bird: An Army Pilot's Story
by Alex Kimbell

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 3 Mar. 2014
I have recently passed my private pilots licence, and I saw this book recommended on a flying forum that I visit. It was highly recommended, and no wonder, it is an excellent book about a relatively short period of the Authors life, from his initial pilots training, to serving operationally in the middle eastern area. I particularly enjoyed reading about his training and operational flying, but you do not have to have a great interest in aviation to follow, and enjoy the story, as it is about much more than flying.

My only problem with the book is that I was left wanting to learn more about the Authors following career and life.