Profile for Dr. Carlo N. Colacino > Reviews

Content by Dr. Carlo N. C...

Dr. Carlo N. Colacino "CarloNicola" (Birmingham, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics: A History of Football Tactics
by Jonathan Wilson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good historical overview biased by some personal judgements, 24 Mar. 2014
This is a very good book about the evolution of football and its tactics. Very complete and easy to read. However the author has some personal biases that sometimes go against historical facts. I certainly appreciated reading about Eastern European teams and their often neglected contribution to the evolution of the beautiful game. But some other teams mentioned by the author, and some managers, do not deserve a place in the list of football wonders. 1954's Uruguay for example were clearly inferior to Hungary, yet they deserved a place too in this book, since they changed the way South American teams played. 1975's Dynamo Kiev were a fantastic team, but the inclusion of the very mediocre 1986's Dynamo team is unjustified, even though the manager was the same. In conclusion I enjoyed reading the book but I strongly disagree with many of the things Mr. Wilson writes.

Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory
Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory
by Robert D. Klauber

5.0 out of 5 stars The first book to read on QFT, 24 Mar. 2014
This book is really what I wished I had read when I was a student: it is written with the student in mind. Calculations, even lengthy ones, are done step by step, ideas are clearly explained and repeated over and over, wholeness charts help readers link different concepts and have an overall view of the subject. I recommend this book to all theoretical physics students and to physicists of all research areas who want to learn the basics of Quantum Field Theory.

The same review can be found on amazon.it, where I purchased the book.

Probability: v. 95 (Graduate Texts in Mathematics)
Probability: v. 95 (Graduate Texts in Mathematics)
by Albert Shiryaev

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 24 Mar. 2014
This is by far the best book on probability I have ever read. A masterpiece. In an epoch in which most probability books are marred with useless pseudophilosophical discussions "bayesian v frequentist", this book explains clearly what probability is and unfolds the beauty of Kolmogorov's measure theory, the foundation of all probability approaches. Every single chapter is excellent. I have hardly encountered a book where the only criticism I have is "it does not cover all the aspects of the subject" (no book ever does, but this is really the only shortcoming of Shiryaev's book). Every scientist who wants to learn probability theory or who is involved in data-analysis should read and study this book with the same devotion and enthusiasm with which Christian monks read the bible.

Beginner's Albanian (Hippocrene Beginner's Series)
Beginner's Albanian (Hippocrene Beginner's Series)
by Anila Mayhew

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of money, 17 Mar. 2014
I chose this book because I want to learn Albanian and there aren't many books available. I was utterly disappointed: all the speakers speak with a very thick American accent, apparently neither of them (a male voice and a female one) is a native speaker, they are probably Americans of Albanian origin. It would be like learning Italian from Americans of Italian origin. What a waste of money!

Relativistic Hydrodynamics
Relativistic Hydrodynamics
by Luciano Rezzolla

5.0 out of 5 stars Fundamental book about Relativistic Hydrodynamics, 16 Jan. 2014
(I have purchased this book on amazon's Italian site. This is basically a translation of the review I have posted there.)

This is a fundamental book, the ultimate reference for those who want to learn relativistic hydrodynamics. The books starts with a very thorough review of General Relativity (GR), it is not intended as a textbook for GR, but the review is well done and complete. Afterwards the authors deal with the many physical processes where both GR and hydrodynamics play a role. The theory is well explained, the book is never heavy on the maths, I myself was probably expecting more pages on computer codes used nowadays for numerical simulations of complicated astrophysical processes, but this is the only shortcoming -a minor one- of this book. Excellent work, which is about to become the reference book for the next 20 years, a must for all those researchers who work in this area and for everyone interested in learning the subject.

Think Rugby: A Guide to Purposeful Team Play
Think Rugby: A Guide to Purposeful Team Play
by Jim Greenwood

5.0 out of 5 stars The companion to total rugby, 12 Nov. 2013
I consider total rugby the ultimate guide reference, this think rugby goes even deeper and explores some of the concepts that were introduced in the other book. Total rugby is probably a book that each player should read on their own, while think rugby is more a book that the coach should read in the dressing room. Excellent.

Total Rugby: Fifteen-man Rugby for Coach and Player
Total Rugby: Fifteen-man Rugby for Coach and Player
by Jim Greenwood

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the ultimate rugby reference, 12 Nov. 2013
I am a former rugby player and, although I have not started a coaching career, I enjoyed reading this book. Finally I understood many aspects, facets of the game that had remained a bit elusive when I was a player. I was a fly-half and played instinctively. Why were certain moves so effective? Why did I chose to kick in certain occasions and to pass the ball in other? Very clear, I wish I had read the book 20 years ago, I would have been a more effective Tactical Decision Maker.

Complete Idiot's Guide to Vision Boards: Picture the Future You've Always Wanted... and Make it Happen
by Marcia Layton Turner

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not bother, 12 Nov. 2013
This book sums up all the fallacies of the new-agey positive thinking movement. Pseudo-scientific claims, words and words on such profound concepts auch as spirituality and happiness without going into depth, a very poor prose.

Modern Statistical Methods for Astronomy: With R Applications
Modern Statistical Methods for Astronomy: With R Applications
by Eric D. Feigelson

5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent, 12 Nov. 2013
I own many books about probability and data-analysis, I love the subject. This book is excellent, probably not the book to purchase if you want to learn the basics about probability theory -the book does not claim to be a course on probability theory- but certainly the book to have if you know the mathematical theory and want to apply it to real data from astrophysics. Lots of enlighting examples, a very clear section on software and on R, a programming language widely used in the data-analysis community. Well done.

Lemongrass and Ginger Cookbook: Vibrant Asian Recipes
Lemongrass and Ginger Cookbook: Vibrant Asian Recipes
by Leemei Tan

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for Asian cuisine, 12 Nov. 2013
I really like this book, I have tried a few of the recipes and most of them have been up to my expectations. Well written and clear. I have given the book only 4 stars because some of the ingredients are not easy to find and because I would have liked to have more recipes -the chapter about India is very limited, this is my opinion- and because there is (almost) nothing about Middle-Eastern food, but otherwise I would recommend it to everyone who likes the food from the Orient.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2014 8:23 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3