Profile for Joanne Phillips > Reviews

Content by Joanne Phillips

Joanne Phillips (Shropshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality toy, 6 Oct. 2016
My 8-year-old is so happy, fantastic quality, just as described. Arrived really fast too!

My Little Pony Rainbow Friends Board Game and my Little Pony Rainbow Power Figure bundle (4 items)

5.0 out of 5 stars ... for my daughter - in her words “it was fun and very nice” The bundle contained a game, 16 May 2016
This was a gift for my daughter - in her words “it was fun and very nice” The bundle contained a game, stickers, an activity pack, a figure and all came gift wrapped beautifully. Top quality and fast delivery, perfect if you need a last-minute present or surprise for a special child.

Searching for Summer (The Reluctant Detective Book 1)
Searching for Summer (The Reluctant Detective Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A compelling read, 20 Jan. 2016
‘Searching for Summer’ is a character-driven story that draws the reader deep into Mirabelle’s complicated life from the outset. This well-written mystery delves long and hard into the emotional anguish of a mother searching for her missing teenage daughter, and as such I found it a painful read at times. That said, it’s all not doom and gloom! Mirabelle is a fun-loving character, and the man in her life also makes for a compelling read.

The suspense is well handled, and I felt the pace was just about right throughout. While many readers may not agree with all of Mirabelle’s choices I felt the author went a long way to explain her background, and most parents would probably find themselves identifying with her at times. I note that this book straddles the Women’s Literature and Cozy Mystery categories, but I’m not sure how well it qualifies as a traditional cozy, to be honest. Or literary fiction. Maybe we need a new genre for books like this - cozy-lit. Enjoyable, if not quite what expected.

The House Of York
The House Of York

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read this year, 22 Nov. 2015
This review is from: The House Of York (Kindle Edition)
I was intrigued by the blurb for The House of York – love and loss, murderous intent, abduction, a compelling saga – and having read quite a few of Terry’s previous books I knew I was in safe hands before I started reading. What I wasn’t prepared for was just how astonishingly good this book actually is. Very few authors could carry off multiple first person viewpoints, but Terry Tyler not only carries it off, she makes it into an art form.

The story pivots around Lisa, widowed single mum who falls for wealthy businessman Elias York and finds herself plunged headlong into his complicated family life where nothing is as it seems. Throughout the book we meet other key characters, such as Elias’s sister Megan (my personal favourite), and his brothers Gabriel and Richard. Each section has its own distinct voice, and each chapter will have you riveted to your seat, eager to find out more.

Tyler is the master of the unnerving story line, and this book is no exception – just when you think you know where it’s heading, you are thrust down another ally, and it is the twists and turns as well as the incredibly well-drawn characters that make this book a joy. At times, while reading The House of York, I lost myself completely and the world of the York family became entirely real to me. I did not want this book to end, and I know it’s one I will read again in the future. Highly recommended, five stars.

Silver Rain
Silver Rain

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 18 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Silver Rain (Kindle Edition)
This is an absolutely stunning read. And that is a level of praise I reserve for only the very best books. First of all you have the main characters, Al and Kate, both of whom positively jump off the page and grab you by the hand, demanding you come along with them on their respective journeys. The writing is beautiful and evocative, but never dull; the plot is tight and paced just right; the dialogue is so believable you almost forget you are reading fiction and not merely listening to conversations. I loved Al, he is a flawed character - flawed in all the right ways, the interesting ways - and from the outset I was rooting for him. Kate is so identifiable, complex and conflicted - the perfect foil for Al.

The story - gripping and satisfying all the way - plays out against the backdrop of a beautiful but unforgiving landscape, one that is always present but never takes over from the characters. What is so outstanding about Jan Ruth’s writing, however, is the depth of emotion contained within these pages. Every single character, even walk-on parts, seemed real to me. Every twist and turn of events, while surprising, felt natural and right for the story. Highly recommended - 5 stars. (If I could give it 6 stars I would!)

Holding Back
Holding Back

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable light romance, 19 July 2015
This review is from: Holding Back (Kindle Edition)
Holding Back is a light romance, beautifully written, with characters that engage you from the first page. Told from two points of view, Laura and Daniel deal with the kinds of misunderstandings you might expect on the road to true love - and a few you might not expect! I found the characters believable, the storyline interesting, and the addition of the sumptuous setting of Portugal lifted the book out of the ordinary. I would have liked to have seen the ‘voices’ of the characters a little better differentiated, and the nature of the two viewpoint narrative did occasionally have you going over the same event twice, albeit seen through a different character’s eyes. But the writing carries you through, and the author clearly has a talent for bringing romance alive on the page. One small niggle was the formatting of the Kindle version I read - each paragraph was separated by a line break, usually reserved for section breaks, which made the experience of reading a little irritating until you got used to it. All in all, however, a good read for romance lovers, and an author on top of her game.

Reunion of the Heart
Reunion of the Heart

4.0 out of 5 stars An uplifting tale of love and redemption, 19 May 2015
This is the second of Elaine Jeremiah's books that I've read, and I enjoyed this one even more than the first. This is a sweet tale of redemption and love, an uplifting read, and I'd be happy to recommend it to readers who enjoy easy romance. What I especially loved was the author's engaging writing style, and how she moves seamlessly between back story and the present day. A satisfying read.

Secrets in the Sky: a Saffron Sweeting novel
Secrets in the Sky: a Saffron Sweeting novel

5.0 out of 5 stars and I can honestly say that I loved it even more than Pauline Wiles' first novel, 26 Feb. 2015
I was very lucky to be one of the first people to read Secrets in the Sky, and I can honestly say that I loved it even more than Pauline Wiles' first novel. The main character, Sophie, is so easy to relate to and I warmed to her (and her struggles) straight away. There is so much more to this story than a simple romance - you find yourself absorbed and carried along with the various subplots and twists and turns, which are all done perfectly. Well worth the five stars, this is an author totally in control of her material and definitely one to watch. (I just wish she would write her books a bit more quickly so I could read more of them.)

Writing plots with drama, depth and heart: Nail Your Novel
Writing plots with drama, depth and heart: Nail Your Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars The best so far in the Nail Your Novel series, 20 Jan. 2015
I signed up for this book when it was available for pre-order and eagerly awaited its release! It was worth all the anticipation - Roz's latest book in the Nail Your Novel series is packed with helpful and targeted advice. Writers should never stop learning, which is why I'll never stop reading fantastic books like this one. A must for every writer'a book shelf.

Tiramisu Recipes from Italian Friends and Family (Italian Cookery Books - Desserts Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good enough to eat!, 20 July 2014
As a chocoholic and pudding-devotee, this book was guaranteed to please! The recipes are all surprisingly different and varied - if you're not already a tiramisu aficionado you'll be amazed how many scrummy variations of this dessert there are. I have the Kindle edition but I'm going to order the paperback too so I can refer to it again and again. The instructions are easy to follow, the pictures beautiful, and the addition of the personal backgrounds of each recipe's creator sets this apart from your usual cookery book. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5