Profile for Miss K. L. Oakley > Reviews

Content by Miss K. L. Oakley

Miss K. L. Oakley "Red Queen" (England)

How to Write your Undergraduate Dissertation (Palgrave Study Skills)
How to Write your Undergraduate Dissertation (Palgrave Study Skills)
by Dr Bryan Greetham

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, listen well all undergraduates!, 17 Sept. 2013
Having bought an earlier edition for myself during my degree, I proceeded to buy four new copies: one for my sister, two for students I am mentoring and one to use as an example book. It covers all the key areas of dissertation writing from choosing an appropriate topic, to question phrasing and contents ordering (take heart, once you're formatting you're home and dry!).
Although the assistance of a good dissertation tutor is indispensable, at 2am when you're determined to finish the chapter you're working on and you just need some support on methodology or how to set out your literature review, this is the book that will save your sanity.

Good luck in your dissertation writing!

Early Learning Centre - Poster Paints and Brush
Early Learning Centre - Poster Paints and Brush

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pots for taking on adventures, 17 Sept. 2013
I bought these paints for a recent training day I delivered to a group of teachers and children. We took the paints to the woods and to the beach, used them for a variety of uses: rock painting, leaf printing, signal making, etc.
The paint seemed to be of a good quality and applied well to all of the surfaces used.

Quentin Blake Collection 10 Picture Flats Books Set Pack in Zip Lock Bag
Quentin Blake Collection 10 Picture Flats Books Set Pack in Zip Lock Bag
by Quentin Blake

5.0 out of 5 stars Presents for children, 17 Sept. 2013
I bought these books as leaving presents for children in my class. They arrived swiftly, well-packaged and of a high quality. The stories themselves are Quentin Blake classics that range from silly rhyming tales to sneakily concealed cockatoo capers. Young children (under 8) will delight in these and older children (18+) will find themselves smiling at the characters and their absurd adventures. For those wise souls in the middle (9-17), they may say they are "for little children!" but you will probably find them craning their necks to hear what happens at the end.
An essential for any library and for any self-respecting teacher or parent!

A Beautiful Mess Photo Idea Book
A Beautiful Mess Photo Idea Book
by Elsie Larson and Emma Chapman

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Mess shows you how, 17 Sept. 2013
Having followed Emma and Elsie's blog for some time, I was delighted to find they were writing a book. I preordered and Amazon delivered the book early, HOORAY!
A bright, good quality volume full of photographs and tips for capturing life on film. A pleasure to read and lend to (book-jealous) friends. I have bought a second copy for my sister and anticipate re-reading and referring to the tips and photo-inspiration within this book for years to come.

I look forward to their next book!

Girls Eric Carle (The Hungry Caterpillar) Birthday Card
Girls Eric Carle (The Hungry Caterpillar) Birthday Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, high quality card, 17 Sept. 2013
This card is made of lovely thick card, almost like the watercolour card. The design is bright and clear. The card comes with a pretty envelope.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for journaling, photographs and memorabilia, 17 Sept. 2013
As a keen "would be" scrapbooker I have always struggled to commit to a whole book. Whether it was a busy life getting in the way of evenings gluing and embellishing or a layout that I just couldn't figure out, perfectionism seemed to interrupt my projects until they all ground to a standstill (I have four different scrapbooks for different years all in various states of non-completion on the bookshelves alongside boxes of bits and pieces)... And then I found Project Life. At first, I had seen it on a lifestyle blog and was drawn in by the pretty patterns and promises of an easy (scrapbooking) life. I tentatively ordered a pack of cards and photograph pockets at the end of July. Almost two months on and my scrapbook looks fantastic; yet I don't think I have spent more than five hours compiling the 20+ pages (12x12", summer is a busy time!). I think I have genuinely found a sustainable and beautiful looking solution to recording life. The range of packs is fabulous, just Google Image "Project Life" and check out the albums other people are creating.

The Design A photo pocket pages have two sizes of pocket. Four for your 3x4" cards and four for 4x6" cards or photographs. The pockets are sturdy and stand up to repeated rearrangements and thick cards embellished with memorabilia.

Becky Higgins Project Life Core Kit - Jade 380040
Becky Higgins Project Life Core Kit - Jade 380040
Offered by Craftie-Charlie Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Super simple, splendid scrapbooking, 17 Sept. 2013

The Jade kit has a huge range of journaling cards (a few polka dot ones thrown in for good measure!) which include repeating patterns of cute drawn cameras, string writing and chevrons. I've used one of every design, simply because they are lovely!

Weleda Skin Food for Dry and Rough Skin
Weleda Skin Food for Dry and Rough Skin
Offered by Greens Pharmacy

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, rich moisturiser, 17 Sept. 2013
I received a sample of this moisturiser in a beauty box a few months ago. Since then I have bought tubes for myself and two friends who commented on the lovely fresh smell and incredible results. Weleda Skin Food really seems to nourish the skin and excels with problem areas (elbows, feet, etc.) as well as more unorthodox applications (I put my tube in the fridge after I caught the sun, it worked wonders to cool and soothe my irritated skin).
After two months, my tube has run out (used at least daily) and I have placed a subscription order with Amazon. If you are unsure about spending £1 then buy the 30ml tube which is £4, you won't be disappointed!