Profile for P. H. Payne > Reviews

Content by P. H. Payne

P. H. Payne "payneph" (England)

A Tour of C++ (C++ In-Depth Series)
A Tour of C++ (C++ In-Depth Series)
by Bjarne Stroustrup

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and Sweet, 27 Dec. 2013
This is a great supplement to TC++PL4, it expands nicely on the tour in that book, providing just enough detail on language and technique. It has definitely helped my transition to C++11.

A very nice feature of the book is that it includes a summary with references to the parts of TC++PL4 from each chapter, making it very easy to expand on it's coverage where this is required or desired.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Clear Explanation of an elegant language, 5 Feb. 2013
Found this book in the UEA library whilst looking for something else. Couldn't stop reading it but since I am not a student I couldn't take it home so I bought my own copy.

It's great - very clear explanations - interesting exercises and I really like the Miranda Language and environment.

I wish it was more widely used, it's such a clean language, more elegant than SML and simpler than Haskell. Not that I am a expert in either of these other languages but Miranda just gelled with me :)

Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1500 Years
Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1500 Years
by S.Fred Singer

5.0 out of 5 stars Timely and Informative, 4 Feb. 2013
I found Singer and Avery's book to be very informative and refreshing.

The minority of bad reviews are from individuals who have made up their minds
about this important and interesting question. The belief that our climate is getting appreciably warmer because of our activities and that this will lead to dreadful consequences is not a fact, it certainly has not been proven mathematically.

I find it very worrying that this book has attracted criticism from individuals using words like 'irresponsible'. We all need to keep an open mind and open scientific debate is to be encouraged. As a member of the public I expect the scientific community to offer a balanced view and certainly not to brow beat the public or indeed the less zealous members of their own community.

Clearly human activity has a bearing on the climate but I have wondered for a long time how credible a lot of environmental and climate science actually is. Singer and Avery shine a strong light on the 'evidence' and as a by-product describe some very interesting aspects of natural science.

Moreover the authors are experts in the field and it is entirely appropriate for them to express their doubts and of course to posit alternative explanations.

Worth a read.

HP W7STR32 10-inch Notebook (Red) (Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Windows 7 Starter)

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved My Bacon, 22 Dec. 2012
This little beauty just saved me from all sorts of problem whilst away working abroad.
Unexpectedly I needed to do some programming for a Client and I was able to use this little
machine with Linux Fedora 17 to develop software, ssh to remote machine, Skype my Clients and generally deal with an emergency cleanly and efficiently.

It's atom chip has 4 cores at 1.6hz each which is more than adequate for everything I have asked of it. I have 2 Gig of memory installed which does help and I would recommend this enhancement.

[phil@HPMini C]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep bogomips
bogomips : 3325.18

How much CPU do you need? Most people have no idea how to utilise it anyway!

I have read lukewarm reviews of this machine but they seem to either complain that it is
small which is a ridiculous comment given that is the whole point or say that HP let them down rather than the machine.

The keyboard is nice and crisp. The Screen clear and bright, and battery life is exceptional. Given this machine cost me 280 pounds including the additional 1 Gig of RAM I cannot complain. So whilst a Macbook Air might be thinner and more funky it is also 4 times the price and nothing like as versatile as the mini with Linux installed. Moreover this machine is just as portable as say a Samsung Galaxy tablet but much more powerful and useful for a software engineer.

Techniques of PROLOG Programming: With Implementation of Logical Negation and Quantified Goals
by T. Van Le

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and exceptionally clear., 18 July 2011
A relatively unknown yet very well written book on Prolog and AI. A great many worked problems and an interesting
implementation of the 'non' predicate for true negation in Prolog.

The Art of PROLOG: Advanced Programming Techniques (Logic Programming)
The Art of PROLOG: Advanced Programming Techniques (Logic Programming)
by Leon Sterling

5.0 out of 5 stars In a different league, 11 July 2011
Prolog is a beautiful language, and this is a beautiful book.
Gentle, thorough, with many interesting examples, it emphasis
strongly Prolog as a Logic Programming Language. Gorgeous typography,
lovely cover.

I agree with O'Keefe: 'The Craft of Prolog' that it is a perfect second
book on Prolog after Clocksin and Mellish: 'Programming in Prolog' because it grounds
the knowledge gained whilst reading their less rigorous tutorial introduction.

I doubt you will be disappointed with your purchase.

Logic for Problem Solving (The computer science library)
Logic for Problem Solving (The computer science library)
by Robert A. Kowalski

4.0 out of 5 stars logic for problem solving, 21 April 2009
Product was delivered quickly and the description was largely accurate. However on closer inspection I found that certain passages within the book had been underlined badly with blue pyro spoiling the generally very high standard of the book. Nonetheless worthy of 4 stars.

The Scheme Programming Language
The Scheme Programming Language
by R Kent Dybvig

5.0 out of 5 stars K&R for Scheme, 29 Feb. 2008
Dybvig's book is an excellent but terse tutorial and reference on Scheme.

Writtem in the tradition of Kernighan and Ritchie 'The C Programming Language' it provides a complete description of the language in a very short amount of space.

I found this approach in keeping with the Language, scheme is a small and very expressive language.

It sits on my desk next to K&R, Hanson, Stoustroup, Graham, Stevens and Steele.

Solitary Fitness
Solitary Fitness
by Charles Bronson

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Material - Astonishing Value, 4 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Solitary Fitness (Paperback)
I have been training for 20 years mainly for a number of sports including Judo, Rugby League, Cross Country Running and Fell Walking. Over the years I have bought many books on fitness, weight training and sports conditioning.
When I first saw this book I bought it mainly out of curiosity, but as I read the book it became apparent that I had seriously underestimated the quality of the material therein.
I started to follow the 'Solitary Way' training plan 10 days ago and I have been amazed by it's suptle power. It has increased my strength, stamina and posture as well as helping me loose 2 kilos of body fat. I feel sure that I will ultimately build a training program around Bronco's system combined with Cross Country Running, the man himself sadly has no opportunity for outdoor pursuits.
Whilst the Exercise plan itself forms the heart of the book, there is a great deal of other material in the book directed at healthly living, good diet and advanced conditioning. All in all it represents stunning value for money, and whilst it is a rough diamond of a book (like it's author) it is the single most useful fitness book I possess.