Profile for kiki > Reviews

Toothy! (Dirty Bertie)
Toothy! (Dirty Bertie)
by Alan MacDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars A laugh out Loud read for boys, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Toothy! (Dirty Bertie) (Paperback)
Dity Bertie - Toothy is part of a collection of books about Dirty Bertie that range from noisy picture books through to chapter books. They are not designed for people of a `sensitive' disposition! But those that love smells and rudeness, like most children do will absolutely love them.My 6 year old boy loves them.

Toothy contains 3 short stories, Toothy!Zoom!and Hot! all of which are stand alone stories.

The book is ideal for free readers and for getting those reluctant boy readers into reading. These are very funny stories written in a style children find hilarious and we shall certainly be getting some more Dirty Bertie books.

The Case of the Stolen Sixpence (Maisie Hitchins)
The Case of the Stolen Sixpence (Maisie Hitchins)
by Holly Webb

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read and a lovely example for all young girls, 10 May 2013
This is a detective book with a difference as the hero is a young girl called Maisie who is inspired by her hero the famous detective Gilbert Carrington. The story is a simple one in that Maisie has to solve the puzzle of the missing sixpence in order to help George the butcher's boy get his job back. It is set in Victorian London.
We loved this book as it was a great story, written well with lovely pen and ink style illustrations. It was also lovely to have a strong female character who was determined to be herself. A great example for all young girls.

The Missing Kitten (Holly Webb Animal Stories)
The Missing Kitten (Holly Webb Animal Stories)
by Holly Webb

5.0 out of 5 stars A sweet Kitten read for all cat lovers, 1 Mar. 2013
The Missing Kitten is a lovely sweet little book that will appeal to all cat lovers. I must admit that I read it as once I picked it up I could not put it down as I wanted to know what happened to Bootle! My daughter who is 7 read it easily too and loved how cute Bootle was.

It is written in a lovely style with a few black and white illustrations I would like to have seen a few more to help keep the younger reader interested.

The description of Bootle and how he thinks remind me so much of when my cats were kittens and of course my daughter wants a kitten now.

It would also be a great book for children to read who are moving or changing school as it deals with how Scarlett feels and the worries that she has.

This book did not appeal to my boy and I would suggest that it is more of a girl's book.

Night of the Howling Hound (Undead Pets)
Night of the Howling Hound (Undead Pets)
by Sam Hay

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 1 Mar. 2013
My children grabbed this book as soon as it arrived as they loved the title and the cover image! They started reading it straight away and remained engrossed in it.

The book is about Joe who is the protector of undead pets, zombie pets that he has to help pass to the other side. It is part of a series but they do not need to be read in order and the story stands on its own.

There are black and white illustrations to keep little ones interested and what we really liked is that the pages go dark when Joe is in the dark.The portrayal of the zombie dog is brilliants and my children loved the description of him drooling and his deadly zombie farts!

The chapters are a nice size for young readers and it is written in an easy read style both my 5 year old boy and 7 year old girl loved it but they do love all things gruesome!

Devonshire Tea 40 Bag Box of Quality Tea, Devon Blend
Devonshire Tea 40 Bag Box of Quality Tea, Devon Blend

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Cuppa, 15 Oct. 2010
A lovely colour and a perfect flavour for a refreshing brew - would highly recommend