Profile for IntensiveCareNurse > Reviews

Content by IntensiveCareNurse

IntensiveCareNurse "IntensiveCareNurse" (UK)

Page: 11-20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30
Ventura Screw On ll A Aluminium Carrier - Silver suitable for 24"/26"/28"
Ventura Screw On ll A Aluminium Carrier - Silver suitable for 24"/26"/28"

5.0 out of 5 stars FAB! Fits 20" wheel bikes (folders) too!!!, 22 Aug. 2012
I purchased an excellent "Saxon" 20" wheel folding bike, which are known to have no rear rack as standard but I needed one for panniers whern cycling on holiday...
I did study the picture of this universal rack for some time (as it is not shown as applicable for bikes with wheels less than 24"), before deciding that it would probably fit anyway so decided to take the plunge. My main concern was that I might have to take a couple of inches off the lower "V" bars, drill further mounting holes and (perhaps) fashion a couple of small brackets from spare alu sheeting to make up the reduction in clearance resultant by reducing their length.
No trouble (I thought) to anyone having a few tools plus hacksaw & being just a tiny bit "handy"...

The first thing I noted on its delivery was the lightness but relative strength & quality of the item. The main body is constructed from aluminium, & it really did look decent value for money.
All the fixings & fittings are really good quality & there are enough to do the job in all but the most unorthodox situations. The instructions can be gleaned by simply having a quick glance at the very simple schematic drawing (although there are instructions written in English too).
I'm happy to say that it went on straight away without any modification, just leaving an extra 2 inch gap between it & the rear mudguard (which decreases the chance of panniers interfering with the wheels anyway). It looks perfect, could easily be original to the bike, is totally rock steady (although recommended carrier weight is 25kgs, so I wouldn't suggest offering folks "backies"... God, that takes me back...!) & looks fantastic.
I cannot personally see what bike this kit wouldn't fit having someone fitting it who has basic tools & can wield a spanner.
Im happy to see that it would also have easily fitted my Dahon 20" wheel folding bike (which already has a rack).
I hope this at least gives buyers some confidence in the item should their bike fall outside of the exact product description.
It is a fab kit for the money & I cannot fault it...

Kryptonite Kryptoflex 7 Foot Cable Bike Lock
Kryptonite Kryptoflex 7 Foot Cable Bike Lock

5.0 out of 5 stars IT IS WHAT IT IS (Im hoping it never gets tested)!!!, 22 Aug. 2012
This is meant to be the best quality 1cm security flex that you can buy, and as this hasn't been tested as yet, I have no reason to disbelieve it. It certainly looks the business & is good value for money & is perfect for locking front wheels & removable seats to an existing lock.

Having said that, (and I apologise here in advance if the following advice is teaching grandma's to suck eggs...):

I do urge people looking for security for their bike to understand that any thief worth his salt can still get through this cable with just decent quality snips in only a very short time.
You therefore need to anchor the bike to an immovable (eg steel post) object via a decent heavy duty lock & chain or shackle lock (google "Sheldon Brown" online, but preferably secure through rear wheel & frame together if possible). Try not to leave room for a thief to get a small "bottle" jack in the "D" of a shackle lock if using this mode of security (try to buy the shackle that fits your bike snugly & just has room for a post).
I suggest that for evey £10 you spend on bike, you spend at least £1 on lock... (and start at no less than £20).
The Sold Secure Silver Kryptonite Kryptolok is a decentish sub £25 shackle for anything up to around £200 new, for example. Their Evolution lock is just a few quid more and is Sold Secure Gold (see my other review, as I have one).
Please however remember that if a thief good at what he does wants your bike, he will have it... The trick (unfortunately for others) is to move up the ladder by getting him to move onto easier pickings.

Other tips:
1) Lock bike outside cafe's, pubs, places here plenty of people are visible just inside (the thief does not wish to be disturbed by an irrate owner/punter).
2) Park where monitored by CCTV (although most thieves would not be massively deterred)
3) Make sure the post/fixing you attach to does not allow your bike to be simply lifted up & over it!
4) The item you attach your lock to must not be construed to be actually much weaker than your lock (although attaching to anything immovable offers another layer of security).
5) A good independant reviewer of all bike locks (attack tested independantly) is "Bike Radar" (just google it). Be wary, as the odd sold secure gold lock does not rate particularly well in their practical testing.

I hope thats of help to some (sorry if you read that lot & knew it already)...
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2015 11:13 PM BST

The McCollection
The McCollection

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect second rate tales... An absolute treat of a collection..., 30 July 2012
This review is from: The McCollection (Kindle Edition)
Well, well, well... After having read a few of Brendan Gisby's other offerings, I suppose I didn't really expect to find this collection of Scottish short stories (chosen by Mr Gisby himself) wanting in any way...
My praise on Amazon is all getting a little repetitive, so I'll state here clearly that I have no connection whatsoever with Mr Gisby or any of his associates.
The various tales in this reasonably sized volume delighted me consistently as they shocked, amused, repulsed and saddened me in turn.
Great toilet reading & despite this not being reflectional of the literary quality in any way, I do blame the books' contributors for the eventual & consequential loss of feeling in my legs!
This is a fab collection of tales well worthy of the short story genre.

Bosch Isio Shape & Edging Li-Ion Shear
Bosch Isio Shape & Edging Li-Ion Shear
Offered by Allgoods Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavily used 2 years, Still going strong..., 27 July 2012
I have a very big garden with around 50 metres length of 7 foot high hedging. I ordered the isio 2 years ago on the basis of reviews, secretly thinking that although it would be useful for those small jobs, I would probably have to get somethiing with a 240v lead to do the garden jobs properly... I was wrong...
A single charge takes around 2 hours & lasts for around 40 minutes continuous use.
Despite being only 3.6v, it is an extremely powerful tool (make sure you keep the other hand well away) and cuts through branches up to 1cm thick (I kid you not). It might have to "champ" a bit on the bigger branches, but does (after 3 or 4 "bites") get though them. With conifer hedges it cuts very quickly & efficiently at first contact. I find I can trim back about 8-10 metres length of a 7 foot high conifer hedge within the 40 minute (or so) charge time.
Because of the smart (no memory loss effect) LI-ION battery, I find the power & battery charge time still similar to first use 2 years ago.
It does have a safety button so that it is not possible to get fingers anyway near the blade with the hand actually operating it (do not be tempted to "feed" material into it with your other hand).
It is very light & comfortable to use, but will not (for safety reasons) operate with the charger wire plugged in.
It is amazing the amount of cutting you can do on one charge. If I have a lot to do, I simply go on to another garden job during its recharge time.
Mine came in a smart steel tin & it also has a blade attachment that can be swapped over for trimming the grass (which I also use to trim around trees & edges after mowing). It is competent for this but its real attraction (to me, at least) is its excellence as a hedge trimmer.
Get one & you won't be disappointed.

Perixx PERIMICE-201PII B, Wired PS2 Optical Mouse - 3 Button - 1000dpi Resolution - 1.8m Cable - Black
Offered by Perixx UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously low price, but best mouse I have owned!!!, 17 July 2012
I have owned a few optical mouses (or should that be "mice") over the years, so ordered this one for £4 not quite believing the positive reviews that accompanied it.
My findings are that this is the easiest to use & most fluid mouse that I have ever owned.
It seems that I can actually point to a destination more quickly & accurately than I have been able to before, whilst the buttons feel more assured in use.
It is not a USB mouse (as I initially thought), although this probably makes it even easier to use straight out of the box without any hardware conflict issues. I simply plugged it in to the circular green mouse port & Bob was my uncle...
Don't spend any more.

Pathfinder Shropshire, Staffordshire & the Heart of England: Walks (Pathfinder Guide)
by Crimson Publishing

4.0 out of 5 stars Purchased 1996, Still used now..., 16 July 2012
If you only buy one walk book for the Midlands, this is the one you want.
I actually purchased this 1n 1996, and have now done most of the walks more than once (I actually did the Stiperstones walk only yesterday). Some I have done many times.

My very favourite walks from this collection are:
1) Bridgnorth and the River Severn.
2) Ludlow.
3) Bewdley.
4) The Long Mynd.

All of the walks have their own particular charm.
This series of books always gives you a reliable parking & starting point, and all walks are circular in nature, so that you end up back at the car.
Walks are split into 3 categories; green, blue & orange, ranging from easy to challenging. Distances typically stem from 4.5 to 8 miles, although there are 2 that are 10 & 11.5 miles respectively.

Criticisms? There is only one, although it is typical of walking publications in general.
Even when I purchased the book in 1996, many of the walks listed stiles & gates that were sometimes no longer there... Also (on occasion) stiles might have been added and/or the right of way (which is mandatory & cannot be denied to walkers) has been slightly "modified" by landowners...
This stems from the walks having been formulated many years ago, with subsequent editions of the book not fully incorporating changes.
They are however 99% correct & will always lead you in the right direction... If you do become slightly puzzled en-route it is always easy to get back on track, and this even adds to the fun of the walk. Looking at the excellent large OS map included with every walk always seems to put me in the right direction.
I am not convinced that (even now) this book has been updated, but would appreciate (and bow to) any comments on this as concerns the newer editions.

This is a really excellent walk book. It also says a lot about its construction that (although now dog eared), it is still very much in one piece after 16 years of hard use. The new copies, which I have looked at in bookshops, are of the self-same quality.

Pathfinder North Wales, Snowdon & Offa's Dyke (Pathfinder Guide)
Pathfinder North Wales, Snowdon & Offa's Dyke (Pathfinder Guide)
by Crimson Publishing

4.0 out of 5 stars Purchased in 1998, still used now..., 16 July 2012
If you only buy one walk book for North Wales, this is the one you want.
I actually purchased this 1n 1998, and have now done most of the walks at least once.

My very favourite walks from this collection are:
1) Llangollen, Castell Dinas & Horseshoe Falls.
2) Ty Mawr and the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct.
3) Chirk.
4) The Great Orme (views to die for)!

All of the walks have their own particular charm.
This series of books always gives you a reliable parking & starting point, and all walks are circular (or a direct return where a circular is not possible) in nature, so that you end up back at the car at the end.
Walks are split into 3 categories; green, blue & orange, ranging from easy to challenging. Distances typically stem from 2.5 to 7 miles, most being around 5 miles due to the more challenging terrain in the walking region. The bulk of the book contains walks that would pose no challenge to the average occasional walker. There are 3 longer walks that are between 9 & 10 miles respectively.

Even when I purchased the book in 1998, many of the walks listed stiles & gates that were sometimes no longer there... Also (on occasion) stiles might have been added and/or the right of way (which is mandatory & cannot be denied to walkers) has been slightly "modified" by landowners...

This is a really excellent walk book. It also says a lot about its construction that (although now dog eared), it is still very much in one piece after 14 years of moderate use. The new copies, which I have looked at in bookshops, are of the self-same quality.

August Lion® Black Leather Case for Amazon Kindle 4 Wi-Fi, 6" (will only fit £69 Kindle)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cheaper alternative, 14 July 2012
The only difference with this leather case is that the front & rear outer skin covers are made of the cheaper PU leather. The quality & finish is however far better than my wifes cheapo 100% PU leather one.
When your kindle is open (the cover folds back), the rest of the case is in really good quality perfectly stiched leather.
I have had mine over a year, and it is still in absolutely perfect condition.
It is a good firm fit for the Kindle & gives confidence that your reader will be protected if dropped (I am not so sure with my wifes).
This is a really good durable buy for those not wishing to spend the kind of money the 100% leather ones go for.
I do recommend that you shop around for one, as they are not only for sale on Amazon & do vary in price a lot...

Microsoft Comfort Curve USB Keyboard 2000
Microsoft Comfort Curve USB Keyboard 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly reliable, some great hot keys, but perhaps not the best choice for everyone..., 14 July 2012
I purchased this keyboard thinking that it would be actually easier to type, and although Im sure that this is the case for those "fluent" in 2 handed typing, it actually seems to make things harder for me!
This is basically because as a mature student many years ago, I quickly learned to type my work through necessity & without any kind of formal introduction... As a result of this, although I can type quite quickly now, I can only do so mainly with 1 hand and without looking away from the keys!
Pretty pathetic really, but there are a few of us about...
Because of this, I find that this "ergonomically" designed keyboard does not work best for me & I often hit other keys adjacent to those I am aiming for due to the curved nature of the qwerty keys.
Other than that, the keys feel perfectly balanced, and there are useful direct keys that save time & quickly access the web, mail program and can scroll web history back & forwards. There are also volume, mute & play/pause controls for your media player.
I have now had mine for over a year and have spilt squash on it, but it still works perfectly well.
It is not the easiest keyboard for me to use, but that's because of my typing ineptitude & not the fault of the keyboard...
I would recommend it unreservedly to someone who can type properly.

Thompson's Lucky Star: The Story of a Stalag Survivor
Thompson's Lucky Star: The Story of a Stalag Survivor

4.0 out of 5 stars A documentary..., 13 July 2012
I purchased this book having been quite impressed by other stories by Brendan Gisby.
It is basically a short documentary that expands upon a very basic & starkly written diary penned by a British prisoner of war in a German Stalag WWII POW camp.
It is written in a documentary style, which whilst in no way typical of Mr Gisby's more usually colourful hand, seems highly necessary due to the fact that Corporal Thompson revealed so little about himself personally within the diary from which the book is constructed.
The text therefore makes few assumptions in elaborating upon the character's diary entries, but does manage to expand greatly upon them via historical research and (towards the end) via reference to Mr Thompsons later post-war life.
It does give a slightly more 2-dimensional perspective upon the WWII POW experience than the norm, which I think is down to the neccesity of documenting things in a very matter of fact way occasioned by a limited insight into actual diarised events.
A product of an association between Mr Gisby & a Mr Thompson (possibly a relative of the books' hero), Gisby's usually insightful & vibrant character studies appear quite reasonably absent due to the importance of retaining a documentary style. I also suspect that Mr Gisby's sum knowledge of the hero as an individual was most likely gleaned from the co-author & diary alone. Having said all of that, I am however unsure as to the extent of his involvement comparitivelty to the (seemingly first-named) co-author, Mr Thompson. It could well be that Gisby is not the presiding author of this work.
It was however an enjoyable & insightful read and (I believe) was the best that it could have possibly been given the raw evidence upon which it was constructed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2012 8:47 AM BST

Page: 11-20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30