Profile for IntensiveCareNurse > Reviews

Maypole MP9432 4.1 - 5.0m (14-17') Breathable Caravan Cover
Maypole MP9432 4.1 - 5.0m (14-17') Breathable Caravan Cover
Offered by Auto-Accessorize

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 28 Dec. 2012
I had previously spent well over £250 for small fitted caravan covers from a specialist company. This was mainly because I have a much shorter (in height) pop-top caravan, and standard covers (like this Maypole one) are far too long...

Having said that, costing over £100 per year having the cover on all year round (as 2 years was as long as my covers had previously lasted before becoming infiltrated on the top with mildew), the tailored cover route was getting a tiny bit pricey... I therefore took the plunge as concerns a universal fitting Maypole cover due to a shrinking budget.

Please bear in mind that although green covers look better, it is scientific fact that the silver colour reflects UV light better & is therefore slightly better at protecting your caravan....
Having said that, you may well rate aesthetics over practicality (and there is not that much in it).

I did expect the Maypole material to not be quite as good quality as the fitted covers, but was surprised to find it as good, and perhaps even a little better quality. The cover was (however) no heavier to place on the caravan.
Two zips, which are both at either the facing front or rear of your caravan, depending which way you put the cover on (it doesn't matter as both ends seem exactly the same) allow for easy access to doors placed on either side IF close to the front or rear. If your caravan door is more central, then access with the cover on might well be more complicated.

Should your caravan be a pop-top (like mine), then things are complicated slightly by the 3 foot or so of excess skirt you are left with... Having said that, the cover has an elasticated hem that can be lifted to whatever point of height around the caravan so that the excess is lifted out of the way underneath (I hope that makes sense). There are four straps which comfortably pass under the caravan for securing & full instructions (plus do's & don'ts) are included.
Even my little pop-top Eriba looks pretty good under this cover & is well protected, having said that, I am using some cheap bungee cord to wrap around the lower part to stop high winds getting under the cover.
No such problems exist for owners of standard (non pop-top) caravans, as you will find that the cover wall height will be pretty close to the walls of your model (at around 2.2m).
Yes, it does look baggier than my fitted cover, although this is the only drawback... As these covers are constructed from material designed to be water resistant, but also allow moisture to evaporate out through the material, the extra bagginess is probably even an advantage.
I am very pleased with mine & will never buy a fitted cover (at those ridiculous prices) again.

Maypole covers are a brand well known for their excellence (Kampa is another good make), but I would advise care as concerns a cover without a similar pedigree (as covers that do not breathe properly can effectively damage your caravan).
Please ensure you measure your caravan length carefully, and simply buy the cover size that is just bigger than that. It sounds obvious, but your handbook will supply the caravan length INCLUDING the hitch... The actual caravan body will of course be shorter (be careful)... No hitch cover is supplied (unlike with expensive fitted covers).

A last word of caution... PLEASE SHOP AROUND EVERYWHERE TO GET THE BEST PRICE.... I have seen up to TWICE the lowest available price charged by usually very competitive outlets... I will say no more...
I hope that lot's helpful to someone out there..

Maypole MP9435 6.2 - 6.8m/ 21 - 23ft Breathable Caravan Cover
Maypole MP9435 6.2 - 6.8m/ 21 - 23ft Breathable Caravan Cover
Offered by RRD Automotive

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 28 Dec. 2012

I hope that lot's helpful to someone out there..

Maypole MP9532 Caravan Cover, 4.1 - 5 m, Green
Maypole MP9532 Caravan Cover, 4.1 - 5 m, Green

5.0 out of 5 stars No point buying fitted covers..., 28 Dec. 2012

I hope that lot's helpful to someone out there...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2015 9:48 AM GMT

Shell House
Shell House

4.0 out of 5 stars Poignant & at times very moving..., 24 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Shell House (Kindle Edition)
Again, I find myself breaking my resolve as concerns writing Kindle reviews (as so few people seem to look at them)...
I found the author here to excel at her construction of characters. Far from just making them believable, the text explores their deepest & innermost feelings to the extent that belief in them overwhelms.
The inevitable sadness underlying events & the deeply explored family dynamics were wholly insightful, insightful to the extent I found myself reflecting on the similarly parallel dynamics within my own family system... I have rarely found an author so eloquent as concerns this & the reader is quickly drawn into the book due to their quickly formulated familiarity with the characters.
The tale was believable at first, but perhaps threw me a little mid-point, as the main character invents a fictional outcome of events (this is difficult to explain fully without creating a spoiler).
This, perhaps, was a necessary foil in which the author sought to divide the difference between the imagined & actual story outcomes.
I found myself relieved when I finally realised that this segment of the book had been an intentional fiction created by the main character, as it had begun (slightly) to challenge my belief in the tale. The sense of realism that returned near the end of the book put the tale firmly back on track for me, however.
This, for me, was a free Kindle download, although I would encourage its purchase unreservedly should it develop a modest price-tag.
Gayle Curtis is (I believe) an exceptional writer, and I would be interested to find out what processes in her own life have led to her own ability to create such insightful character studies.
I will be looking out for more work by her.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2014 11:19 AM GMT

Car Alarm Temperature Thermometer Clo ck Voltage Monitor Meter
Car Alarm Temperature Thermometer Clo ck Voltage Monitor Meter
Offered by WE-PRO

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for cars (beware for caravan)...., 22 Dec. 2012
I have to admit to being quite impressed with this little alarm clock/voltmeter/temp gauge.
I expected it to feel quite cheap, although it does look & feel solid and good quality. My only real initial disappointment was the (appallingly written) English instructions!!! Although it is clear that they are written by someone having only a limited knowledge of English, they are eventually understood if read 2 or 3 times. At least the reviewer stating that there are no English instructions is no longer right (maybe they only added English later).
A greater disappointment was that the blueish night light stays on ALL of the time. This wouldn't have been a problem if I intended it for my car, but I actually needed it to hard-wire into my caravan for use as a bedtime clock that would also monitor the leisure battery power.
I certainly didnt want the night light blazing away all night whilst trying to sleep (and also didn't want the extra battery drain)... With this in mind, I took the item apart (very easy), located the bulb & wired a switch to it.
I basically did this by cutting the positive cable to the bulb & soldering each core of a small speaker cable to the respective cut wire terminals. I then fed the cable through an extra hole drilled in the back of the clock case (again, very easy). Following clock reassembly, I then connected this to a momentary push switch fitted flush beneath the cupboard over my caravan bed... I then permanently wired it into the caravan 12v circuitry (remembering to fit a 2 amp fuse/fuseholder), and located the temperature probe underneath the caravan (via an existing wiring hole).
It is worth bearing in mind that you may have to cut then resolder the temperature wire in order to locate the probe where you want it.
I now have everything I need (and more) from a very tidy looking integrated 12v caravan clock:

The buttons feel quality & very assured in operation (much better than I expected).
The inside & outside temperature gauges are pretty darned accurate, as is the voltmeter (tested against a purpose hand held voltmeter).
The alarm is very easy to set & seems very reliable. Having said that, the alarm is not all that loud (although it is adequate, I would say).
It is also worth bearing in mind that it is really pretty small at 11x4x6 cms (smaller than I expected).
Another review does mention that the display fades in hotter EU countries (it may well do so & so is a very valid comment, but a lot of electronics do not like heat)... As long as it continues to work when I take the caravan to such places (and the display doesn't fade completely), then I feel that this may be forgiveable... I'll report back here if it is a big problem.

The only reason I give this item 4 stars (not 5) is due to the permanent backlight, although I do understand that this is probably a bonus for most car drivers not too worried about the permanent, if minimal, power drain (that's what alternators were built for, I hear you say)...
Had they fitted a button allowing for either permanent or single press light (illuminating the dias for just a few seconds), they would have vastly increased the market for this excellent little clock (to include the leisure industry as well as automotive)...
As it stands, I can't see that many caravanners wanting a bedside clock that is permanently lit... Having said that, the above mod is pretty simple...
I hope this might be helpful to someone out there...

Smart Effects Technoline WT 280 DCF-77 Radio Controlled Clock with Manual Setting Option

4.0 out of 5 stars A very stylish & easy to use clock, but...., 14 Dec. 2012
Amendment 17/3/13: A few months ago I paid just over a tenner for this clock (which I thought good value)... Today I note its now twenty-five quid!!! My advice...? Forget it at anything much over half that price & buy a better value radio clock that more conveniently updates via the UK transmitter. Even though it is a good & stylish clock (see my review below), I cannot continue to endorse it fully based upon that price....

I bought this clock for my touring caravan on the strength of the single Amazon review (at the time... thanks). This despite quite a few other clocks receiving the DCF77 (Frankfurt) radio clock signal attracting complaints as concerns their functionality here in the UK.
The first one I received had to go back to Amazon, as it sounded like a broken box of bits when you moved it (something was clearly broken inside). No hassle with the return service though, and a replacement soon found its way back to me.
I did note with the second clock that there was still a very slight rattle with the clock, which (whilst nothing like the first) sounded like a small bit of loose plastic moving around. I wasn't going to be phased by this though, so inserted batteries & resolved to keep it if it did what it was supposed to.
As soon as the batteries are inserted, the clock (supposedly) automatically searches for the radio signal, which is heralded by 4 beeps and a radio mast signal appearing on the display..... No signal first time...
Despite reinserting the batteries & holding it out various windows (strange looks from the neighbours) to allow a greater ease of signal receipt, the clock would still not gain a signal.
The instructions state that every hour the clock will auto-search for a signal (it didn't after the first hour). They do also state that the clock might be unable to find a signal at first, and so manual setting should be done (remembering to set "-1" to program to UK time, not "0", then pressing & holding the "wave" key).
I have now done this, and the clock is fine, but I still do not know whether the radio controlled aspect will ever work....
The Frankfurt transmitter supposedly has a receivable signal up to 1500 to 2000 km (940-1250 miles) from the transmitter, although my location (shropshire) is only 750 miles...
The instructions do also state that the clock will receive another signal from Frankfurt at 2am (which I suppose will be 1am UK time). Im also guessing that this may be a stronger "pulse" signal that will be more easily received.
To prove this (or not), I will set the clock slightly incorrectly before bed & check if it corrects itself overnight.... If it does, I'll drop a "PS" below, but if not I wont revisit this review until I know it is reliably & regularly receiving the signal.
Slightly disappointing, but....

1) The clock does work on manual, and do I really care if it loses a few seconds a month...? Well, not really if I am entirely honest. More of a "boy's toy" aspect really...
2) It is a good looking clock. When you pick it up, you do expect it to be heavier as it looks quality. It is actually just a plastic clock dressed up to look pretty good though.
3) The buttons feel assured & easy to press.
4) The large numerals are easy to read, and the all in one display of date, day of week, month, time, seconds and temperature give you all the info you really need in one glance.
5) The backlight is a lovely warm blue & stays on for 3 seconds with a single push of the large button on top of the clock.
6) Because it's digital, it doesn't tick (seems obvious, but a bonus for light sleepers like myself).
7) The alarm setting is pretty assured with a clear alarm clock symbol for when it is set, and a single press to assure you of the actual alarm time set (for those of us who worry that the alarm might be incorrectly set or might not go off).
The alarm sound is of the rapid beep-stop / rapid beep-stop variety, and whilst intrusive enough, does not cause a cardiac arrest or give you cause to introduce it to the wall at high velocity..

For around a tenner, I am happy enough with it even if the radio controlled aspect turns out to be a complete flop. Mine could be just a duffer, but I will find out for sure this spring when I take the caravan to Europe (much closer to the Frankfurt transmitter).
As stated, I'll add my findings here in due course (or leave it be if I have no luck).
Mine could be faulty, or the signal might be problematic for the UK (some say it's fine for the UK, some say not). I preferred the Frankfurt transmitter (as I am more often in France than the UK with my caravan), but would advise those intending to stay in the UK to just purchase a radio clock tuned in to the UK transmitter at Cumbria (as there are no UK complaints as concerned that).
I hope this helps someone.

UPDATE: I've finally picked up the radio controlled clock signal... BUT for some reason, the clock gets a really poor reception of the Frankfurt signal from where I live in a large Shropshire town. I don't live in a valley either....
This took about 5 minutes following the transmitter icon flashing on & off, but I had to walk to a large outside open area to do this.
Obviously, I don't want to do this every day, so I am hoping that the signal is now firmly & permanently latched onto... I think this may be a possibility, as the transmitter icon is showing full on even though I have brought the clock back indoors (it just wouldn't receive the signal anywhere in my house).
Time will tell (pun intended)!
The clock only seemed to detect the signal when turned directly facing Frankfurt, which is typically due South East from most places in UK... This is due to a long ferrite rod receiving the signal, which is tucked along the length of the clock. As long as the direct front (or direct back) of the clock is facing flat-on to Frankfurt, you will get the best chance of getting the signal.
You know you are picking the signal up when the transmitter icon begins to flash, anyway.
You can work out what direction this is more accurately by checking your house on google maps satellite mode (from above), then panning out until you see Frankfurt. You will then know which way to face the clock in relation to your house position. It might be that you will need to gain the signal from somewhere outside your house at first (like me).
I have now upgraded the score to 5/5 stars on the basis that the radio controlled function definitely works...

UPDATE # 2: The clock did not update overnight... I Know it tried, but the lack of the transmitter icon shows that it failed. I have now found a place in the house that it receives the signal, but unless I want to sleep in the bathroom it still makes the item defunct (at least as radio controlled) for use as a bedside clock.
Conclusion... It will NOT work everywhere, so either take your chances with the Frankfurt signal if needing the clock solely for the UK, or buy one that works on the Cumbrian (UK) signal.
I'm sticking with it, as it will come into it's own for European travel.
I have now downgraded the score to 4/4 stars,

Sorry that was so long, but it might just be helpful to someone!

INSIDE (One Man's Experience of Prison) A True Story
INSIDE (One Man's Experience of Prison) A True Story

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed...!, 10 Dec. 2012
I note that the many existing reviews for this very creditable account rightfully praise Mr Hoskison's account unreservedly & in general terms.
With this in mind, I concur with all that & offer a slightly different perspective.
The author produces a fascinating & unique account in that he reflects on prison life without dwelling on those usual & overused cliches.
The easy & descriptive style in which he writes also forms environment, character & event in the readers' mind faultlessly.
The honest manner in which it is written refreshingly resists the norm, in which the nastiness of inmates is usually laboured upon. Instead the author succesfully identifies the inherent good in most characters, acknowledging their past circumstances & behavioural/environmental influences as leading to their present circumstances. As far as that goes, it was a refreshing experience.
My favourite thing about the book? The author has a great sense of humour... The image of the drunk Francis Rossi lookalike "lifer" posting a pre-flattened piccalilli sandwich to the author (under the cell door after "bang-up") really cracked me up... Similarly amusing scenarios pervade the book.
Very, very funny indeed...

PS: If you like this, you might also like the author's (slightly more sober but excellent nevertheless) other book about prison life "Name & Number". It is described as "based upon real events", but does come across more of a very good fictional piece (with a great twist at the end that would really do a film or mini-series proud).
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2012 9:01 PM GMT

Name and Number: Based On a True Prison Story
Name and Number: Based On a True Prison Story

5.0 out of 5 stars A satisfying page-turner..., 2 Dec. 2012
I need to start this review by stating that I had stopped writing reviews for kindle books. The reason for this is that everyone's taste is different, people clearly hardly ever read them and (worse) those disagreeing with your review appear more than happy to slap you with "unhelpful" votes.
So why have I broken my resolve as concerns this book (which was a free download for me but still seems an absolute gift at its current 10 shilling price-tag)?
The reason is simple... This gritty & fascinating tale drags you inside the prison walls and makes you willing witness to the nightmare scenario suffered by the young inmate, ending gracefully in his ultimate redemption.
Ernest Hemingway always argued that a tale lacking the backing of experience also lacked backbone, and (although he was clearly a pompous old git in addition to being extremely talented) this argument is well validated as the author's work unfolds. At no point in the book did I experience that all too familiar & disappointing head-shake of disbelief, which goes a long way to validate the author's "based on true events" claim.
Having said that, please don't expect a monotonous facsimile of outright fact, as despite it being clearly produced by someone who has experienced life behind bars, the twists and turns of the plot lend incredible excitement to the reader whilst remaining 100% credible... The author is a skilfull writer...
I cannot imagine anyone (at whatever level) not enjoying this fantastic little read, and I therefore risk this validation unreservedly.
The tale has also created another rare event as far as I am concerned.... It has resulted in one of my few Kindle purchases of another work by an author on the basis of the quality of his/her free kindle download...
Considering what an utter cheapskate I am, I cannot really think of higher praise than that...
I wish John Hoskins all the success in his future writing.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 4:34 PM GMT

25 Watt Dimmable B22 Bayonet Daylight Bulb
25 Watt Dimmable B22 Bayonet Daylight Bulb
Offered by Androv Medical

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solution technology, but shop around..., 1 Dec. 2012
OK, these "switch" controlled dimming bulbs are controlled in a slightly unorthodox way, but that really is the only negative that you can level at them considering that all you need to do is plug them in & you're away.

When (on the other hand) considering fitting low energy dimmable bulbs designed for a rotary or touch dimmer switch, there really are a few things you have to take account of first... (& I only include this info to underline the convenience of the product under review... apologies to the initiated):

1) You cannot just fit dimmable bulbs (ones that work with an actual dimmer switch) without ensuring that you also have a compatible dimmer switch fitted.
Existing conventional dimmer switches typically have a rating anywhere between 40 and 400 watts (to manage conventional bulbs which are 40 watts or above). If you try to use an existing dimmer switch rated at this wattage, you are likely to either blow the dimmable bulb (which will be typically rated at 20w or below) or (at best) have flicker at mid to low dimness setting.
This is why so many complain of "flicker" with this type of bulb.
You are only likely to have a compatible dimmer switch already fitted if that circuit has previously been fitted or modified to manage low energy dimmable bulbs. Unscrewing one from the wall will confirm this if in doubt.
An appropriate dimmer switch is one in which the entire bulb load for that circuit sits within its watts rating range [IE a 0-120w dimmer will manage a circuit of anything from a single 1w bulb up to 6 x 20w bulbs (120w)].
2) A low energy dimmer switch meeting the requirements of your low energy bulb(s) total wattage will cost £10 at the very cheapest. Dimmable bulbs designed to work with this switch cost around £7 & above.
3) If you are fitting a dimmer to a circuit that contains 2 switches (share a common circuit), you also need to ensure that the low energy dimmer has a push on/0ff (not turn on/off) switch.
All this amounts to a minimum cost of £17 to create 1 single bulb low energy dimmer switched circuit... Thats a lot of money if you plan to convert the whole house.
4) I do have a low energy 9 bulb LED dimmer circuit (controlled by dimmer switch) in my kitchen, and the range of dimming is quite disappointing (probably only between 50% and 100% at best with quite a low lighting level at full whack).

Comparitively, these switch dimmable bulbs (different makes all use the same technology) have the following advantages:

1) They cost under a fiver each (Hint: LOOK AROUND elsewhere on Amazon) and are fitted in a jiffy without messing. You just screw them in (if you already have standard on/off switches) & you're done.
2) If, on the other hand, you need to change an existing dimmer switch to a standard on/off switch to work with these bulbs (as I did in 3 different rooms), they only cost a quid each delivered (check out another four letter word auction site).
That's just £6 max per single bulb circuit.
3) The mode of operation might sound fiddly (please see the other positive reviews for this item, as it is well explained elsewhere), but it quickly becomes second-nature & is nearly as simple as using a dimmer switch anyway.
4) 20w max equals 100w comparable light output (although I would reckon more like 80-90w in reality, which is still very bright). All low energy bulb manufacturers (I find) tend to exaggerate their comparable brightness levels a little...
5) In comparison to my prior experience of bulbs dimmed by a dimmer switch, the dimming range is far, far better with these switch dimmables (easily 5% to 100%).

All in all, they are a very easy & cheap solution to fully controllable & low energy lighting.
At a shilling short of a fiver a shot (at the time of buying & from the lowest priced seller), these were also the cheapest anywhere (and I looked just about everywhere)!
Recommended unreservedly (AT THE RIGHT PRICE, THAT IS). I repeat, shop around...

Varilight Dimmable Energy Saving Light Bulb
Varilight Dimmable Energy Saving Light Bulb
Offered by 1StopElectrics

3.0 out of 5 stars Good technology, but consider all alternatives if on a budget...., 1 Dec. 2012
OK, I know that this bulb will apparently work with a dimmer switch, although there are some important things you need to take account of before assuming they will work with the dimmer switches you have already fitted at home for conventional bulbs.

The alternative: "switch" controlled dimming bulbs, are controlled in a slightly unorthodox way (with a normal on/off switch), but that really is the only negative that I can level at them considering that all you need to do is plug them in & you're away.
I therefore offer the pro's and cons of either dimming method in the hope that it might be of use to someone.

When considering fitting low energy dimmable bulbs designed for a rotary or touch dimmer switch, there really are a few things you have to take account of first... (& I only include this info to underline the problems associated with the product under review... apologies to the initiated):

This is why so many complain of "flicker" with this type of bulb.

Comparitively, switch dimmable bulbs available elsewhere on Amazon (different makes all use the same technology) have the following advantages:

That's just £6 max per single bulb circuit.

All in all, my experience with all types of dimmable technology tells me that "switch-dimmable" bulbs offer the cheapest & most simple solution to fully controllable & low energy lighting. They can be purchased elsewhere on Amazon for around a fiver (shop around)

If (on the other hand) you do really want a rotary dimmer bulb (with which you do need a rotary dimmer bulb as advertised here), just ensure that you also fit a dimmer switch that fits the amperage of the bulb in question...
I hope that helps someone.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2015 6:28 PM BST

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30