Profile for jrs@developcomponents.com > Reviews

Linux Programming by Example
Linux Programming by Example
by Kurt Wall

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent book., 12 Jun. 2002
For me, the most important feature in a programming book is what you are able to do after you read it.
In my case I was able to do almost everything I wanted. This book only teach you how to program for Linux not XWindows, KDE, GNOME, Motif, etc. But I think it's essential for any middle level C and C++ progammer that what to start programming on Linux.
It's very well organized, with simple and very understandable examples. Simple with no unecessary comments or texts, the author goes directly to the subject.
If I could I would give 6 STARS to this book.
I recommend.

The Official Installshield for Windows Installer Developer's Guide (Professional Mindware)
by Bob Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well done, 26 July 2001
This book is very good, actually better than the program from Install Shield. It gives a very detail information about booth Windows Installer and Install Shield. The application still has some problems on version 2.03 but it works well if you read this book. It's because this book teach you how to understand all concepts behind the two technologies, it tells you things about Windows 2000 Administration like ZAW, InteliSense, Remote OS Installation, Active Directory Service and many more. I just loved it. The book is easy to read, and it has a great detail. It's a great resource of information for all programmers that what to build setups for their own applications and for all network administrators as well. Buy this book, my experience in programming and network admin for 19 years must say something to you. During those years a read to many books, some good books, some bad books, but this one is just what I needed at the moment in order to understand a lot o things about installing application on Windows 2000 networks and not only. This book I personally recommend for people that already has some experience about Windows 2000 Administration and/or programmers that are seeking for the best application to install their products, specially if the setup requires non usual installation procedures like, configuring and inserting objects under Component Services or MTS, exporting it to clients, and finally building one single client setup with the client application and the exported component which is my case now. Good reading. To the author, very well done.