Profile for Avid reader > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
SECRET CRIMES a gripping crime thriller full of suspense
SECRET CRIMES a gripping crime thriller full of suspense

3.0 out of 5 stars POOR, 4 July 2016
I bought this book with high hopes after reading the reviews which it has to be said are all positive. Sadly I found the style of writing very wooden, as we're the characters. I've read similar books before where the main characters (usually police officers) are women and the storyline is taken over a little by dwelling on how women in the work place are hard done to and it spoils the storyline as far as I'm concerned. (I'm a woman who held down a decent job, just get on with it, sorry just get on with it. Not for me I'm afraid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2016 12:43 PM BST

The Killing Lessons
The Killing Lessons

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 13 Aug. 2015
I enjoy a good police thriller of this type but found this book couldn't keep my attention. Whilst the basic serial killer storyline was ok I found the character of Valerie Hart quite tedious. I read a lot and appreciate that swearing and bad language are par for the course, however, in my opinion, there was an unnecessary use of the "C" word on this occasion. Not for me, sorry.

Stranger Child
Stranger Child

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Stranger Child (Kindle Edition)
All I will say about this book is "buy it". It's a great read, literally couldn't put it down. The ending was very open perhaps there will be a follow on.

Black Wood: A deliciously dark thriller with a shocking secret at its heart (Banktoun Trilogy)

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 13 Mar. 2015
Can't say that I particularly enjoyed this book. I didn't find the storyline, which as a previous reviewer said, tended to go backward and forward, very interesting. It certainly didn't make me want to keep reading into the wee small hours.

BABY SNATCHERS (A Detective India Kane & AJ Colt Crime Thriller)
BABY SNATCHERS (A Detective India Kane & AJ Colt Crime Thriller)

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many characters making the storyline complicated, 21 Feb. 2015
When I read the reviews I thought this book would be for me. Not the case. There are far too many characters. I found myself forgetting who was who which is not a problem I usually have. I eventually started skipping pages resulting in not finishing the book.I found the character India totally unlikable. Don't bother.

Behind Closed Doors (Detective Inspector Louisa Smith Book 2)
Behind Closed Doors (Detective Inspector Louisa Smith Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Feb. 2015
I've read all of her previous books and on the whole enjoyed each one. Unfortunately I found this storyline a little unbelievable and slightly confusing at times which made it a bit hard going. I couldn't see the point in putting all the witness statements and case information into the storyline, it was a bit of information overload and didn't add anything to the storyline. The print was so small I couldn't even read them properly! Sorry but I've read better.

Deadly Stillwater: A compelling crime thriller (Mac McRyan Mystery Series)
Deadly Stillwater: A compelling crime thriller (Mac McRyan Mystery Series)

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!!! And not in a good way., 27 Dec. 2014
No wonder this book was "free". I've given it one star, but I'm not quite sure why. I read a lot and occasionally come across a book which I can't finish. This is one of them. There were too many characters, too much unnecessary detail and very little story and it was poorly written. I tried to stick in but found myself skipping pages hoping the story would improve. It didn't and I gave up in the end. I'll keep it on my Kindle just in case I'm desperate one day!

Unforeseen: A Thriller: (Tenth Anniversary Edition) (Thomas Prescott Book 1)
Unforeseen: A Thriller: (Tenth Anniversary Edition) (Thomas Prescott Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 2 Dec. 2014
I don't think I've read anything quite so boring. I found myself skipping chunks but stayed with it to the end. Don't think I'll bother with this author again.

Because She Loves Me
Because She Loves Me

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as The Magpies, 18 Sept. 2014
Didn't enjoy this as much as The Magpies. I found the storyline a bit tiresome. I can't believe that he took Charlotte back, I thought she was as nutty as the murderer! I'm sure he would live (or not live) to regret it. Not my favourite recent read.

Lastnight: The 5th Jack Nightingale Supernatural Thriller
Lastnight: The 5th Jack Nightingale Supernatural Thriller

4.0 out of 5 stars "Not the end!", 6 Sept. 2014
"Another excellent read, if not a bit "samey". I'm sure Jack will be back. Not quite sure how or when, but he'll be back, I hope!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4