Profile for Kate > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Faber-Castell Polychromos Colour Pencils Tin Of 12
Faber-Castell Polychromos Colour Pencils Tin Of 12
Offered by PriceQualityService PQS

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely quality pencils shame about the colour selection, 10 Sept. 2017
Fantastic pencils. I have used Fabre-Castell pencils for nearly thirty years (indeed I still have my first set in a draw). These pencils just keep getting better. My only criticism is that a tin of 13 pencils really doesn't need to waste the space by putting in a black and a white. A darker blue would have been nice too as both blues in the selection are quite light.

Moleskine Watercolour Notebook
Moleskine Watercolour Notebook

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous smooth paper, 10 Sept. 2017
Wow. What great paper. I am using this book for day to day sketchbooking. I love the Coptic style binding, which allows me to lay the book out flat and get a full landscape across two pages. I have used pencils, watercolour and ink pens successfully on this (although I haven't yet tried a heavy wash). The paper is a lovely, slightly off white colour, traditional to moleskin books and it feels buttery smooth. In terms of absorbency the paper isn't the most absorbent watercolour paper I have ever used, but I guess that's the compromise in order for you to get the smoothness of the paper. It does the job I want it to do as a watercolour paper that works with other mixed media.

The Edge Nails Silk Nail Strip 18inch
The Edge Nails Silk Nail Strip 18inch

5.0 out of 5 stars Nail as good as new, 10 Sept. 2017
I split my nail about half way down on my right thumb- a tear running about a third of the way across my thumb nail bed. Excruciatingly painful and almost impossible to avoid catching and certainly too painful to pull or cut off. I was therefore deighted that this product (coupled with a nail resin that I bought) did such a great job. The silk mesh was easy to cut to size and I found painting the nail with resin first, then laying the mesh on and finally painting it with the resin again gave my nail a good hard coating. Left to dry and then filed down a little it was almost invisible. Nothing has washed it off, chipped it or caused it to tear and my nail is as good as new!

Pen and Ink Drawing: A Simple Guide
Pen and Ink Drawing: A Simple Guide
by Alphonso Dunn

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, straightforward and easy to use, 10 Sept. 2017
A fantastic, straightforward and inspiring text book for those with some basic drawing knowhow who want to extend their skills a little further and begin to use ink in their work. I have been sketching on and off for 30 years, mostly self taught and with varying degrees of success. This year I have decided to get a little more serious and focus on the process of drawing a little more with a view to perhaps completing a Foundation Art course next year. This book is ideal for helping me prepare for that. There are simple exercises in the book, which can be completed anywhere. The book is made from sketchbook paper and has areas in the margins where you are encouraged to have a go or just exercise your pen a little. This feature makes it highly interactive and I found it a little addictive as well as I wanted to complete and fill the book with lots of little rehearsals and practices all the time. I did find it handy to have a sketchbook with me as I was reading as I sometimes wanted to copy a drawing or carry out an exercise more than once. A great text book that I will cherish and return to for years to come. If only every art text book were this good!

The Fox Busters
The Fox Busters

4.0 out of 5 stars Darker than his other books, 8 Sept. 2017
This review is from: The Fox Busters (Kindle Edition)
Bought this after we had read some of DKS's other books. This one was older in tone and had a darker undercurrent. Not sure I liked it quite so much. A number of animals die in the story and I felt that although our eight year old kept up with the story it was probably more appropriate for an older child.

Farthing Wood Collection 1: "The Adventure Begins", "In the Grip of Winter" v. 1 (Animals of Farthing Wood)
by Colin Dann

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, 29 Aug. 2017
We all know nature can be brutal, but I had to stop reading this half way through. Not a nice read at all!

Rotring 1904812 Tikky Graphic Fineliner Pen - Set of 3
Rotring 1904812 Tikky Graphic Fineliner Pen - Set of 3

3.0 out of 5 stars but not as good as either the Pigma Micron series or the Mitsubishi ..., 29 Aug. 2017
These pens are the Rotarings disposable pen. A quick grab and go. Plus points: the ink is dark (much darker than others in the same category), it's permenant and can take heavy watercolour washes. Down sides, the ink seems to feather and spread (especially the largest sized pen of the set), on some types of paper. Overall an ok sketching pen, but not as good as either the Pigma Micron series or the Mitsubishi Eye range.

The Queen's Nose
The Queen's Nose

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect bedtime reading for an 8 year old!, 29 Aug. 2017
This review is from: The Queen's Nose (Kindle Edition)
My 8year old son has a predilection for action books, the more monsters and fights the better. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of these books too, but they are not always the most suitable thing to read before bedtime. Over the last two years we have sought high and low for 'compromise' stories. Those of a slightly more gentle nature that nevertheless tickle his fancy. The Queen's Nose has been our greatest success so far. The story is lighthearted and entertaining. There's magic and animals a plenty too. Best of all we have been able to have endless discussions about what each of us would do with our seven wishes. We have now branched out and bought some more of Mr King-Smith's books and can attest to the fact that they are all as good as this one!

Highland Fling
Highland Fling

1.0 out of 5 stars Just dreadful, 29 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Highland Fling (Kindle Edition)
Absolutely dreadful. Weak and predictable plot, irritating characters and the protagonists had about as much chemistry as a tea pot. Don't bother!

Artgraf Water Soluble Carbon Disc
Artgraf Water Soluble Carbon Disc
Offered by Hyatt's All Things Creative .

5.0 out of 5 stars One block does so much!, 17 Aug. 2017
A brilliant product. The versatility offered in just one small block is fantastic. I use this in combination with a fountain pen containing permenant ink and a water brush. Dry it can be used to give grainy over textures. You can then brush water back over it to blend it into washes. You can use a wet brush to collect ink straight from the block, which gives a very dark black ink, or you can use a pallet to mix up a wash and apply that way. I have also used it like water colour and wet the page first, applying washes from the block that way. My favourite aspect is that once dry the ink is permenent meaning you can use it in various layers, for example you can use dark ink straight from the block with a wet brush, allow a few seconds to dry then go back over with another light wash of the ink and it doesn't blend or run!!! This block saves me taking a whole load of other kit out with me and I can achieve varied pen, ink and wash pictures with just a water brush, ink pen and my artgraf carbon block. NOTE- if you want something that will rub out don't confuse this with the artgraf graphite blocks. This is an ink block which give permenant fixed ink results when dry.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4