Profile for M. Gourley > Reviews

M. Gourley

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
A Boy Called Christmas
A Boy Called Christmas

4.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas story full of magical possibilities, 12 Jan. 2017
A Christmas story full of magical possibilities- a well crafted story of humans, elves, pixies, trolls and flying reindeer. This story is believable on why children get presents on Christmas Day from Santa. Well I believed!
4 stars as in some places there was too much descriptions and I wanted the writer to get on with telling the story.
Kids will love it.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
The Ocean at the End of the Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars Worlds within worlds, 7 Dec. 2016
I didn't know what to expect from this book. I have loved 'The Graveyard' and 'Coraline'. As I read it I had to keep re reading pages as it jumped about so much and loads of descriptions which I don't normally like. It's one of those books you read and only when you finish it, realise how brilliant it is- how well crafted it reads. It's a story within a story and illustrates that the imagination is a wonderful thing. The story is a boy whose parents lodger commits suicide in their car at the end of a lane. In doing so he stirs up ancient powers and the only saviours are 3 women who live on a farm at the end of the lane and a duck pond. There are fleas and varmints that eat fleas. Hunger birds- the cleaners that eat everything including the world. At times the descriptions are so vivid that I didn't really want to imagine it! Is there a film? Would be brilliant as a movie.

Twelve Days of Christmas: A bestselling Christmas read to devour in one sitting!

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacklustre Christmas story, 23 Jan. 2016
The beginning had a plot for a good book-the main character Holly wanting to get away for Christmas as it brought back sad memories and so she house sat. The death of her grandmother resulted in finding journals written about her forbidden beau. With the new job of house sitting for a man with the same surname as her grandmother's lover, I thought I was in for a Christmas mystery with a happy ending. Alas not - I got bored many times and quicker flicked through the pages to get the "gist" of it. There was so much dialogue I got confused who was who. It was more like reading a play script and the endless talk of household chores that everyone does around Christmas time. I did like the grandmother's journal entry at the start of each chapter and thought the author could have expanded more in the story. To be honest I didn't like the main character - I thought her rather rude to her house employer as she kept repeating- " it's not what I bargained for" and " I don't celebrate Christmas". In the end there was a happy Christmas ending type story but rather surreal to say the least.

TUFFskinz iPhone 6 Plus / iPhone 6S Plus (5.5" screen size) Genuine Leather Flip / Wallet Stand Style Case (Pink Crocodile Print)
Offered by TUFFskinz

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the cover- leather will last and the pink is ..., 30 Oct. 2015
Love the cover- leather will last and the pink is not to loud. Fit's my new iPhone 6 Plus like a glove and protects the screen from scratches. Able to add bank card or money in slots if I'm heading out to the shop and don't want to carry my bag.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for people with tinnitus, 15 Sept. 2015
Work well but not for me as I have tinnitus and it makes it worse. Without the earplugs I can hear the background noise which drowns out the tinnitus - a bit.

Fitflop Women's Super T Low-Top Sneakers, Mink, 5 UK
Fitflop Women's Super T Low-Top Sneakers, Mink, 5 UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Small and narrow shoes, 15 Sept. 2015
Too small- very narrow and not what I expect from fitflops

LEUCHTTURM1917 345176 Pen Loop, self-adhesive, white
LEUCHTTURM1917 345176 Pen Loop, self-adhesive, white

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit my moleskine diary, 19 July 2015
Perfect fit my moleskine diary

Creative Writing: A Workbook with Readings
Creative Writing: A Workbook with Readings
by Linda Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to help you through a creative writing course, 19 July 2015
Great book. Bought this for a writing course - was recommended and is also used by open university. Glad to say my course wasn't that expensive !

365 Journal Writing Ideas: A year of daily journal writing prompts, questions & actions to fill your journal with memories, self-reflection, creativity & direction
by Rossi Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for journalling ideas, 19 July 2015
Great book for writing tips- gets you writing again- loads of ideas and can use it again and again

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat your way through your opponents - great chocolate chess set, 19 July 2015
Christmas present - chess player lloved it. Can now eat his opponents

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4