Profile for L. Morris > Reviews

Content by L. Morris

L. Morris

Transforming the Difficult Child Workbook: An Interactive Guide to the Nurtured Heart Approach: For Parents, Teachers, Practitioners and All Other Caregivers
by Howard Glasser
Edition: Perfect Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Every parent should read this book, 20 Jan. 2017
I was definitely sceptical when this book was recommended to us. Our son had been a nightmare for years and we were clutching at straws. Reading this book really helped us to interact with our son in a way that helped him to improve his behaviour. I am about to recommend it to a colleague at work - which is how I found myself here writing this review!

Ruby and MongoDB Web Development Beginner's Guide
Ruby and MongoDB Web Development Beginner's Guide
by Gautam Rege

1.0 out of 5 stars Was quite useless, 4 Nov. 2013
Even at the start of the book I discovered that the instructions to install the various items just didn't work. I spent a couple of days working out how to get everything installed and continued to work my way through the book. The book should really be called "Ruby web development with a tiny bit of MongoDB" - The Ruby On Rails part of the book is very thin in detail and the MongoDB part is almost non existent.

The ONLY useful information I got from this book is the name of the object data mapper "Mongoid" - I've just saved you some money, go and buy something else :)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 26 Sept. 2012
Holds as well as any other I have used (except the one which made my 'tache practically plastic), and is the only one I have found that not only doesn't smell horrible but actually smells like you'd want to lick it :-)

MongoDB and PHP
MongoDB and PHP
by Steve Francia

1.0 out of 5 stars OMG, utter rubbish!, 26 Sept. 2012
This review is from: MongoDB and PHP (Paperback)
The first thing that struck me about this book is that it is hardly a book at all. At a mere 62 pages it is more of a white paper / tutorial / pamphlet.

Having spent a day or two reading a few free tutorials on the web I was further disappointed to realised that I already knew everything I read in the book, and more on top of that. The book even suggests using ->skip() for paging, but website tutorials claim it is better to filter out the previous pages instead as it is faster to select the subset than it is to select the whole and then have the cursor skip X results. This was just one of the useful things I have learned for free on the web which wasn't mentioned in this "book."

I really can't believe I just paid £13 for this, and it is absolutely beyond me why a good publisher such as O'REILLY would have published it.

If you buy this book then you are too stupid to program, get another job/hobby :-)

God Virus: How Religion Infects Our Lives and Culture
God Virus: How Religion Infects Our Lives and Culture
by Darrel W. Ray

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 17 May 2010
I will keep this short. If you want to understand what goes on in the mind of someone "with religion" this is the book for you, it also describes how religion assimilates itself with culture and what techniques it uses in order to spread itself.

Definitely worth reading, I enjoyed it very much!

Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea
Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea
by Charles Seife

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, 13 Oct. 2009
The first chapter (chapter zero) is rubbish, I nearly put the book down thinking it would be a novel. Thankfully it is a very short chapter and I continued reading. The rest of the book is absolutely brilliant!

Who'd have thought the number ZERO had such a history?

READ IT!

C# in Depth: What you need to master C# 2 and 3
C# in Depth: What you need to master C# 2 and 3
by Jon Skeet

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 21 Jan. 2009
This book starts off with the most simple additions to the language, and then builds up your knowledge step by step until you are finally reading how to implement a LINQ provider.

I think Jon explains this stuff very clearly, in great depth, and in a very progressive and logical way. If you want to learn about extension methods, type inference, lambdas, expression trees, LINQ provider implementation, then buy this book!

I've just read a book on LINQ (LINQ in Action). Having read Jon's book I was really disappointed with it, Jon's book taught me much more about LINQ than this entire other book does.

LINQ in Action
LINQ in Action
by Fabrice Marguerie

2.0 out of 5 stars Anti climax, 21 Jan. 2009
This review is from: LINQ in Action (Paperback)
As I started to read the book the information in it was very basic. As I progressed the information started to get much more interesting and I started to get quite excited about my purchase.

Unfortunately this book is mostly a "How to use LINQ" and doesn't cover the "How to implement LINQ" topics very much at all. Considering this is an entire book dedicated to one subject I was disappointed to read (paraphrased) "The topic X is quite big so wont be covered in this book". It's a book dedicated to LINQ, I expect the large complex subjects to be covered!

The main reason I was interested in this book was because I wanted to learn about IQueryable and IQueryProvider. Seeing as this book is dedicated entirely to LINQ I expected advanced topics like this to be discussed in depth. Unfortunately this subject is barely touched. A simple example of how to do LINQ to AMAZON is shown, the example is a bit of a hack-together solution rather than using the proper abstract approach. When the book moves on to discussing the proper approach instead of attacking the subject in depth and explaining it (IQueryable, IQueryProvider) it merely gives you a link to someone's blog and tells you to

01: Download the source from that URL.
02: Override 2 methods on the classes from that URL.
03: Copy/Paste this code from earlier.

I wanted the book to go through what the guy on the blog went through, to know what the guy on the blog knows in order to implement what he did. I don't want a book to tell me to go and read someone's blog, I can do that without buying a book!

I learned a lot more about LINQ from reading Jon Skeet's C# book. It covers extension methods, lambdas, type inference, expression parsing, IQueryable and more.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2015 2:17 PM GMT