Profile for DJ > Reviews

Sabichi Single Speed Essential Hand Blender, 170 Watt, Black
Sabichi Single Speed Essential Hand Blender, 170 Watt, Black
Offered by Ryness Lighting & Electrical

1.0 out of 5 stars useless due to non-detachable blade, 2 Jun. 2014
Not sure why anyone got away with designing this - it works fine but is impossible to clean as blade part doesn't detach. One for the tip I'm afraid.

Giacomo Puccini: Manon Lescaut - Royal Opera House 1983 [DVD] [2001] [NTSC]
Giacomo Puccini: Manon Lescaut - Royal Opera House 1983 [DVD] [2001] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Placido Domingo

3.0 out of 5 stars a strange little opera, 26 April 2014
This was my first exposure to Manon Lescaut and now I've seen a live production too. I can't get on with the way the story jumps about and still haven't figured out why Manon was exiled. The brother is pretty confusing as a character too.

As for the performance, I enjoyed Domingo but Te Kanawa was pretty unconvincing for me. I'm pretty new to opera so don't take this as a musical judgement, rather a dramatic one!

Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes
Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes
by Daina Taimina

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this in spite of its faults, 26 April 2014
This is really a book for mathematicians and I'm not one of them! But I love the ideas of all these things I don't understand and the references to art and history and, of course, crochet. The crochet involved is pretty simple, in contrast to the geometry.

It's more of a picture book object to treasure than a book I can actually read or use, but no regrets.

Word Origins And How We Know Them: Etymology for Everyone
Word Origins And How We Know Them: Etymology for Everyone
by Anatoly Liberman

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 26 April 2014
I love words and their origins and this book promised to explain more about them. It succeeded in making me realise how complicated the science of etymology is and the common errors which amateurs like myself make in assuming links between words that don't exist.

Unfortunately I found the author's style confusing and irritating. There are lots of linguistic 'jokes' which are terribly unfunny. The book probably makes more sense to a linguistics student than a layperson, but even then could be much more clearly written. I ended up skip-reading it and now it's ready for the secondhand bookshop.

The Body Economic: Eight experiments in economic recovery, from Iceland to Greece
by David Stuckler

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear explanations and a call to action, 26 April 2014
You know how some books take one trite idea and then drag it out into a whole book? Well this book contains a decade worth of astonishing, detailed research in a couple of hundred pages, including full references.

I am halfway through and I'm finding it a troubling, but very worthwhile read. It exposes the awful reality of people who are hit hard by austerity measures and the lie that somehow cuts lead to economic growth. The explanations of economic crises are some of the clearest I've read as a non-economist.

I'm going to send a copy to my (Labour) MP.

Reinventing Your Life: The Breakthrough Program To End Negative Behaviour And Feel Great Again
by Jeffrey E. Young

5.0 out of 5 stars much better inside than out, 2 Jan. 2012
Don't be put off by the title and cover, this is no ordinary self-help book. In fact it is more self-psychoanalysis and its only fault is perhaps the contents are too heavy for someone not actually seeing a therapist.

For me, it is brilliantly insightful. Whole paragraphs resonate uncannily with my life experiences and so have helped me understand why I feel and behave the way I do. I've had longstanding depression and multiple failed relationships and this book really offers me hope in finding a way out of both of these. I am seeing a therapist too and the two work well in conjunction for me.

It is a very (no, extremely)painful process working through the exercises however and not for the fainthearted. However if you, like me, are suffering anyway then you will probably think it worth it. You are effectively bringing subconscious patterns into consciousness where you can understand them, observe them and begin to interrupt them.

Good luck.

Finding the Still Point (Exploring Prayer)
Finding the Still Point (Exploring Prayer)
by Gerald O'Mahony

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous book, God or no God, 19 Sept. 2011
I've been struggling with depression and mood swings for many years but this little book has made a huge difference to me. I'm not at all religious, but it didn't matter. I could interpret God anyway I wanted and most of the book is describing an extremely practical system of managing moods and mood swings. Written by someone who has figured it out the hard way as a sufferer himself - I really felt he knew what the inside of my mind was like.

Ian Pollock's Illustrated "King Lear"
Ian Pollock's Illustrated "King Lear"
by William Shakespeare

5.0 out of 5 stars stunning piece of art, 7 Aug. 2011
I rate this as an artwork in its own right - independent of educational value etc. Ian Pollock's illustrations are equal to the extraordinary language of this play - every line is laden with emotional power and Pollock draws this out. Boxing it off as a cartoon really enhances my appreciation of the written text, and the whole thing is as exciting as seeing it in theatre - better in someways, because one can savour it slowly and re-read as much as necessary to gain the meanings.

Smack
Smack
by Melvin Burgess

1.0 out of 5 stars warning -this is the same book as 'Junk', 12 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Smack (Paperback)
my daughter bought this as she loved burgess's 'junk'. turns out it is the same novel under a different title. not sure why this is not made clear on amazon.

Through Grief: Bereavement Journey
Through Grief: Bereavement Journey
by Elizabeth Collick

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautiful book really worth having, 20 May 2010
I borrowed this from my library after my marriage broke up. It's aimed at the bereaved but a lot in here useful to me too. It is very sensitively written, completely honest and gently encouraging. There are no made-up case studies or exercises, just condensed wisdom and understanding from someone who's lived through grief and also counselled lots of other people.I'm buying a copy now.

Page: 1 | 2