Profile for Peter Lau > Reviews

Peter Lau

VeloChampion Tornado Sunglasses - Black
VeloChampion Tornado Sunglasses - Black
Offered by Maxgear Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Crashed my bike; nose pad arm broke. Probably saved my nose instead., 5 April 2017
I'm here mainly to share how the sunglasses did in a crash.

I braked too hard going downhill and flew over the handlebars, landing on my helmet (and sunglasses!) and slid ~20cm on asphalt. Had several stitches above my lips, strained my right wrist and fractured my left index finger.

But the sunglasses remain mostly intact. As in the attached photo, the right nose pad arm broke, and there are a few small scratches on the lens. Everything remained in one piece - nothing detached or shattered to become shrapnel in my face. In fact, if I were to ignore the misshapen nose pads, I could continue using the sunglasses.

Seeing as the nose pad arm broke, I suspect it would have been my nose breaking instead if I didn't have the sunglasses, regardless of my helmet.

On a happier note, before the crash, the fit was excellent. It curves around my face just right - hardly any wind leaks through the top, but the small amount of space at the bottom helps ventilation, allowing the humid air from my sweaty face to escape, instead of condensing onto the lenses.

I bought a second pair, so that it might save my nose once more if I were to crash again.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Wacom Bamboo Pad Light Touchpad with Digital Stylus - Metallic Grey
Wacom Bamboo Pad Light Touchpad with Digital Stylus - Metallic Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Software service has 1 bug. Otherwise mostly performs as advertised., 27 Jun. 2015
Driver and software: there is bug with the software service WTabletServiceCon, such that occasionally (with no identifiable triggers in my case), the polling rate would drop from the normal 100Hz to an unusable ~4Hz, requiring a restart of the service WTabletServiceCon to fix this problem. A search in Google suggests that this problem seems to be rather common among many Wacom tablets, not just the Bamboo Pad.

Pen: I think it's nice that the pen can be slid inside the pad for storage. Very lightweight at about 8.5g, which is quite a bit lighter than most pens for writing.
The tip goes in a little as you touch the pen down on the pad, giving tactile feedback.
There is a side button on the pen, but my opinion is that this button is too stiff, and I find it difficult to keep the cursor on the spot while I press this button.

Touch control: I disabled touch because it seems that the pad often thinks my palm is giving inputs, especially when I hold the pen higher than it can detect.

Pen control: My screen has resolution 1920x1080, and I use an area of 25mm x 44mm (0.98" x 1.75") on the pad. It tracks perfectly, in that I can't perceive any tracking errors. I'm using this in place of a mouse for controlling the computer.

Pad: The bottom has rubber feet to prevent sliding. The usable area with pen is quite a bit smaller than that for touch. There is a button on the pad, which is supposed to act as left / right click, but it doesn't work for me.

Redragon Perdition 16400 DPI MMO High Precision Programmable Laser Gaming Mouse, 18 Programmable Buttons, Weight Tuning Cartridge, 5 memory profiles, 12 Side Buttons, Power Button, Breathing Light, Omron Micro Switches

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised., 7 Aug. 2014
I have been using this for a month and so far it performs as advertised. For your information, my computer is Windows 7 and my "mouse pad" is a 300 x 300 x 1 mm PTFE sheet.

Sensor: no detectable tracking errors at 16400 cpi, no detectable cursor drift or angle snapping, no acceleration by default (can be changed)

Weight: too heavy for me with removable weights but centre of mass slightly too far forward without removable weights, since the cartridge for removable weights is quite far back.

Feet: very slippery from day one to now. No perceptible change in shape or slipperiness due to wear, after one month..

Surface: different to the other kinds of non-slip found on other mice, but does its job. I don't recall ever having slipped my hand in this month.

Cable: the outer layer looks like and feels like nylon or some other kind of fibre which can be hold force. Feels very durable. Only problem is that its surface is rough and sometimes catches the edge of my mouse pad.

Buttons: Side button 11 is quite stiff. (requires about 4 times as much force to activate, compared to other side buttons) All other buttons click well. The side buttons are slightly angled so gripping the mouse tightly is unlikely to activate them by mistake, but if you angle the direction of push then not a lot of force is needed to activate the button.

Driver: macros you record yourself have a long delay when activated (about 1.5 seconds), making them unusable in games; standard actions (left click, right click etc) and built-in macros (triple click, Ctrl, Shift etc) have no detectable delay. Package comes with a small CD with driver software; it is also available from the official website.