Profile for txacoli > Reviews

Strapped [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Bonenfant
Offered by Gayfilmlover

4.0 out of 5 stars Well acted and entertaining, 29 July 2012
This review is from: Strapped [DVD] (DVD)
I can't add a great deal to those reviewers who have gone before me, but I wanted to add my own thoughts as this film deserves to be seen.

It's true that The Hustler (for we don't know his real name) moves around this apartment building, often finding his way out blocked. He is destined to meet various people, all of whom pay him for some form of sexual/intimate activity and along the way, he learns about them and about himself.

Does that sound twee? Well it is a little, but don't let that put you off. The story is told with great care and the acting in it is superb. Ben Bonenfant carries the film and my favourite encounter is with Sam, the older guy who lives in the leaky attic apartment. There's a real tender moment here to be savoured which tells us more about The Hustler than words ever could.

As for the ending, well I'm not going to give it away. The director could have chosen any number of options and who knows if this was the right one. I enjoyed it and I finished the film feeling that I had experienced an hour and a half of classy queer cinema, instead of the usual superficial, badly acted rubbish that is put out to appease us gay men. Buy or rent this DVD.......you won't be disappointed.

E-Cupid [DVD]
E-Cupid [DVD]
Dvd ~ Houston Rhines

2.0 out of 5 stars Light, fluffy and oh so predictable!, 15 July 2012
This review is from: E-Cupid [DVD] (DVD)
When I watched this film, I didn't expect anything epic, so my expectations were already low. It's a good job really, as the film lowered them even further with each passing minute. Don't get me wrong, I like these soft, fluffy films as much as I like ones with a story and it depends on my mood which one I want. So, me and the hubby sat down to this one last night and quite frankly, I would have been better off rearranging the kitchen cupboards; at least that would have been more productive.

The plot is poor and what bit of it there is was flagged so far in advance that even an amoeba could have worked out what was coming. The acting isn't that great (although there are one or two guys in it that don't do so bad) and there was so much sugary-sweet sentiment in the story that afterwards I felt like I needed a test for diabetes.

I've seen worse, which is why I've given this 2 stars, but it wasn't that good either.

Bonnie Pointer - Expanded Edition
Bonnie Pointer - Expanded Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars At long last!, 30 Jan. 2012
I am a massive fan of all things Pointer Sisters shaped and have longed for this album to come out on CD since the shiny silver discs were invented. Apart from the fact that this album is pure brilliance in audio form, true to BBR's previous issues, it carries every conceivable remix and version possible. I should also point out that BBR always do the most magnificent job of restoring tracks and whilst absent-mindedly listening to "Tie me to a tree" earlier today for the first time on the disc, I was aware of some background noise. I listened intently.....it was the percussion!! My vinyl copy muted it so much. For me, that is the joy of this company. They obviously love their work and ensure that tracks are heard the way they were intended to be heard when originally recorded and mixed. Buy this CD, you won't regret it.

Incidentally, there is a release of Bonnie's 1984 album "If the price is right" due out in the spring but from another company. I've never bought anything from this company before (Funky Town Grooves) and have no idea what their quality is like. It is worth mentioning that once BBR start releasing an artist's catalogue, they like to release the ENTIRE catalogue where possible, so unless someone can tell me that the spring release is going to be worth it, I'll hang on in the hope that BBR will release it themselves in the near future.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2013 3:56 PM GMT

Hot Together
Hot Together

5.0 out of 5 stars Another BBR success, 5 July 2011
This review is from: Hot Together (Audio CD)
I love The Pointer Sisters - let's get that fact out of the way. I know that what I am going to write will be biased in favour of the girls because quite frankly, they could have sung the phone book and I would have bought it! Having said that, "Hot Together" was never one of my favourite albums of theirs at the time of its original release as it relied so heavily on the synth sound, which was becoming a little tired by then. With the passage of time though, I've come to view this as a superb slice of 80's soul/pop which has matured into the album you hear today.

In terms of this release, BBR have done their usual sparkling job on the remastering and the booklet. Reading that is all part of the experience of getting their CD's as there is always so much information to be gleaned from it, with input from Anita & Ruth as well as others involved in the making of the CD. The remastering is as sublime as always and makes for a perfect listening experience.

For me, the 12" version of "Mercury Rising" is alone worth the price of the CD. Such a fabulous, sultry song with Ruth Pointer exhibiting her falsetto skills and the girls showing their more daring sexual side. Of course, there are other highlights on here with "Taste" being a personal favourite and on CD for the first time ever, a rare B-side, "Translation", which is a track I'd not heard before......and I thought I had all their tracks!

Buy this, enjoy and then pre-order the double CD of "Breakout" which is due to hit the shops soon.

So Excited
So Excited

5.0 out of 5 stars Reaching their peak, 7 May 2011
This review is from: So Excited (Audio CD)
Trapped between the success of the girls' "Black and White" album and coming just before the seminal "Breakout", "So Excited" didn't do as well as expected on release. I remember little or no publicity for this and here in the UK at least, hardly any TV appearances. The first single off the album in the US was the rather weak "American Music", which for me is my least favourite track. There are so many other gems on here, but the failure to publicise "I'm so excited" when this CD was initially released is unforgiveable. Instead, it was re-released after the phenomenal success of the singles from "Breakout", became a huge hit and was added to that album as well.

There are some superb tracks on here, showcasing Anita, Ruth & June's amazing vocal dexterity, personal favourites being "I'm so excited", "All of you" and "If you wanna get back your lady", which was the single that never was. BBR have also worked their magic on the remastering, which is sublime as are the liner notes. All this as well as the extra tracks makes this CD reissue one I would heartily recommend to anyone who loves gold standard soulful/pop music.

Holding Trevor [2007] [DVD]
Holding Trevor [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brent Gorski
Offered by fat_buddha

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire!, 7 May 2011
This review is from: Holding Trevor [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
Oh boy......if you're a masochist (or if you're buying this as a gift for someone, a sadist), then sit through this pile of junk. It's poorly acted, the sound quality is appalling, the stereotypes are out in abundance and the plot - such as it is - is paper thin. It's rare that I switch a film off part way through, but with this one I made an exception. After 40 minutes I looked at my other half and, as there was no sign of life there either, the player went off and the DVD went on the car boot sale pile. Not even defibrillation pads could bring this turkey to life.

Baby Sister
Baby Sister
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what you're expecting, but brilliant nonetheless, 27 April 2011
This review is from: Baby Sister (Audio CD)
Way back in 1983, the best selling 80's girl group were storming the charts on both sides of the Atlantic with pop/dance/electro stormers like "Jump", "Neutron Dance" and "Automatic". In the midst of this success, the lovely June Pointer released this solo LP and what a superb piece of pop history it is. I had to order mine from the US at the time, making it the first vinyl I ever bought directly from abroad (remember vinyl???). In these days of the internet, it's so easy to buy from overseas and is now taken for granted, but back in the day, it was a real big deal. My excitement was dulled slightly by the fact that there was a flaw in the vinyl and it skipped on one track. I've had that album ever since and to save wearing it out, committed it to CD-R. I never for one moment thought that I would see such a flawless version on CD. Thankfully the label manager of BBR is a huge Pointer Sisters fan and knows good music when he hears it.

This is an album of two halves. Side 1 is mainly uptempo soul dance tracks, including one co-produced by the legendary Norman Whitfield, punctuated as it is by the beautifully sweet "To you my love". Side 2 starts and ends with two Motown numbers - the impossibly fast & rather brilliant "I'm ready for love" and the finger-clicking warning of "Don't mess with Bill" (June was married to a Bill at the time). Sandwiched in the middle of these Motown numbers are three slower contemplative R&B/blues style songs, which show the real maturity in June's voice.

BBR were in their infancy when this was released, but the clarity and quality of the remastering is just excellent. You can tell just how much these guys love the raw material they're working with as this is obviously a labour of love. So many discs say they're remastered when all that happens is a little bit if tweaking here and there. BBR take the masters and blast them every which way, ensuring that the final sound is top quality.

If you're looking for more "Jump" and "Automatic", then this isn't the CD for you, but if you want some great soul dance tracks mixed with some beautiful ballads, all sung by someone who really knew how to get the best out of a song, then look no further

Contact
Contact

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you BBR, 26 April 2011
This review is from: Contact (Audio CD)
It's fair to say that The Pointer Sisters are my favourite girl group of the 80's by far, so this review may be a little biased. With their soaring vocals, perfect harmonies and blend of dance pop, the combination is dynamite. Ignoring the girls for one moment, another more recent combination that is oh-so perfect is The Pointers' back catalogue with the BBR record label and their desire to remaster old, brilliant albums and add extra tracks for our listening pleasure.

Ever since this album originally came out in the 80's, I've loved particular songs on it, my favourite being "Back in my arms". I bought the 12" single but never thought I would get a pristine, remastered copy on CD, but here it is. BBR have not just remastered the album, but added a whole host of other tracks on for good measure, including the 12" versions of the singles that were released. This is manna from heaven for a fan like me.

I would recommend that you listen to this through either good speakers or good headphones and compare the sound to what went before. I swear, you can hear things in this recording that you've never been aware of on the previous CD pressing. The hi-hat, the bass lines, eveything here sounds so fresh and renewed. This release is a treasure for Pointer Sisters fans and pop fans alike.

One more thing, not only have BBR remastered other Pointer Sisters albums, but they're going to re-release "Hot Together" soon and the seminal "Breakout" album as a double CD later in the year. Thank you BBR and thank you Ruth, Anita and June
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2011 10:53 PM BST

In Loving Memory: The Complete Fifth Series [DVD]
In Loving Memory: The Complete Fifth Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Thora Hird
Offered by babsbargains *Domestic, EU & International Shipping*

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft, gentle comedy, 31 Aug. 2010
I've just come back from holiday to find that Sky+ had recorded - amongst other things - several comedies that I currently like at the moment such as "Mongrels", "Better off Ted" and "Grandma's House". I also found series 5 of "In Loving Memory" on the doormat and while working my way through the recorded programmes, as good as they are, I found myself hankering for a comedy that was simple and gentle. That's not to do down "In Loving Memory", I love it. But it just highlighted for me the difference between comedies of today and those that were made 20+ years ago. Today's comedies try very hard to be satirical, funny, incredibly witty and self-referential, ironic and more. Back in the day, they just had to make you laugh and "In Loving Memory" does just that.

Thora Hird's (Ivy Unsworth) comic timing is second to none and her obvious relationship with Chris Beeny as her nephew Billy Henshaw is a joy to see on screen. The addition of Sherrie Hewson as Mary, Billy's new wife creates another dimension to the relationships and it's all to the good. Known these days for "Loose Women", people forget how good an actress Sherrie Hewson is.

Enjoy your comedies of today, but don't forget how effective a gentle, heart-warming comedy can be and buy this DVD.

For The Love Of Ada - Series 1 - Complete [DVD] [1970]
For The Love Of Ada - Series 1 - Complete [DVD] [1970]
Dvd ~ Wilfred Pickles
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet & Gentle, 7 Feb. 2010
I was too young to remember this comedy when it was first on, as I would have been about 7 and more interested in playing with mates and toys to care about TV. As I grew up, I do recall watching anything and everything with Irene Handl in it, a superb character actress who could make me smile by just turning up on screen. When this series was shown on cable in the early 90's for the first time in years, I recorded them all and just loved the ensemble acting of the cast. Sure, some of the storylines are a little corny and the sets wobbly, but that's how things were in the 70's when this was made. The important thing is that it's still funny; maybe not always laugh out loud funny (although there were one or two moments that made me really laugh), but sweet funny.

This is the sort of programme that makes you glad you watched it when it's over, because it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Irene Handl has such a twinkle in her eye, it's impossible to dislike her and Wilfred Pickles is so lovely, they make a wonderful couple. Can't wait for series two.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6