Profile for K. Barton > Reviews

Content by K. Barton

K. Barton (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Nothing Girl (The Frogmorton Farm Series Book 1)
The Nothing Girl (The Frogmorton Farm Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely lovely. Surprising, mysterious, life affirming, 27 Oct. 2016
The mystery at the heart of this story is cleverly never explained, but the who and the why dunnit elements are resolved very satisfactorily ...

By the end you'll have fallen in love with this set of people - both human and equine. I laughed, I cried, I chewed my nails ... Jodi never fails to impress.

A Man Called Ove
A Man Called Ove

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 1 Oct. 2016
This review is from: A Man Called Ove (Kindle Edition)
I have cried my way through so much of this book. I hate books that make me cry tbh. (Ove would not approve either, the old b*****rd but he can stick it.)

I don't know how something can keep sucker-punching your emotions so consistently, or how that can make you so happy. But this book did both of those things. Loved it.

Toni&Guy Prep Curl Defining Hair Oil 150ml
Toni&Guy Prep Curl Defining Hair Oil 150ml
Offered by The Magazine Rack

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't leave wet-look or sticky, helps with humidity / frizz control, 1 Aug. 2016
I have fly-away hair that needs a lot of help to find it's inner beauty - especially on hot and humid days!

So, I've tried a lot of products over years of hunting and I actually don't like to think about how expensive that has been - especially because most have had a few tries but proved useless. I hate waste, but If something leaves you looking and feeling all day like you've just been out in the rain - or had jam poured over your head - it's going in the bin...

I've tried most things by now but this is about the only 'oil for curly hair' product that seems to work for me - and even then I don't use it on its own. I use a Charles Worthington leave-in moisturiser (absolutely essential) but I'll often add a pump or two of this oil because it does help to seal the curl in when the weather is determined to make me look like a frizz-bomb. It's a solid finishing-touch.

It can also be handy on a second-day if I haven't got time to do my hair from scratch - I'll damp slightly with a water-spray and just coat my hands lightly with the curl-defining oil to smooth over my hair - especially the ends when I need a trim 😊. It tames the frizz and leaves a pleasant gloss, but doesn't feel sticky or stay wet-look.

If your hair is curly but not stupidly fly-away like mine, this might even be good enough on its own to give you the definition and shine you're looking for. Lucky you!

But if you're like me, you will need to combine it with something that adds a bit more weight - I've reviewed the leave-in conditioner I have found best, fyi. Both of them are *far cheaper* from high-street chemists than they are on here, though!

I know I've said that my hair is a frizzy nightmare in its natural state - but using the two products I've reviewed I actually get complemented on it regularly. Most people just assume I naturally have these gorgeous, flowing curls when I get out of bed. Hah - I wish!

Charles Worthington Moisture Seal Hair Healer Leave-in Conditioner - 200ml
Charles Worthington Moisture Seal Hair Healer Leave-in Conditioner - 200ml
Offered by Gracious Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing I have EVER found for curly / frizzy hair, especially fly-away., 1 Aug. 2016
I have curly hair in large quantities - a great big mane of it, but each hair is very fine, so with no product it's just this mass of FRIZZZzzzz. Maddening. If you're a fellow-sufferer, you deserve to know about this product.

When young, my hairdressers actually permed my curly hair as the only way to control it (?!!). If straightened, it takes hours to do and lasts minutes - open an oven or walk outside and bam - mophead. Gives you an idea of how stubbornly unmanageable it is.

So, I have tried pretty much every single product you can think of, over the years. Paul Frieda (feels grim and has to be washed out hard the next day) Paul Mitchell (my original go-to, but hair left wetlook or crispy), Redken (not man enough for my hair!), T&G (one product I like), Tigi (tend to leave sticky residue and smells can be a bit much) Aussie Miracle (nice but still too fly-away), Umberto Gianni (probably next best), etc etc etc - plus other brands designed exclusively for curly / wavy hair. I've tried coconut oil, Miracle, Macadmia and all the other many different versions of 'oils' you've heard of...

... and *none* of them hold a candle to this generic leave-in moisturiser for all hair types. It is a saviour.

Seriously

I've been using it for years now and still try other products from time to time (because I worry they'll discontinue this and leave me stranded). It weighs my hair down just enough, gives my curls definition and shine without clumping or stickiness. Hair is bouncy and touchable afterwards: you can run your fingers through it and it just feels like normal hair.

You can air dry or blow dry (if you air-dry, just remember to scrunch / rub your hair through with your fingers a bit as time goes by - removes any crispiness)

It smells fabulous in a low-key way too - a sort of passing breath of clean-smell as you waft past people. Or so they tell me.

Sometimes if it's really humid I'll add one pump of T&G curl-defining oil. But without this particular leave-in moisturiser first, I might as well not bother.

And if you get it from normal shops btw, it's usually possible to get it for about £6 each and often three-for-two. Totally worth it. Try it and see if you agree with me.

Summary: The man In The High Castle
Summary: The man In The High Castle

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly fun and enlightening, 20 May 2016
This is a really good attempt to pin starlight to a wall and let us feel we haven't quite literally lost the plot (or our marbles).

MITHC is a doozy of cross-wired minutiae in classic Dick-ian style but in this synopsis it comes a close to making any kind of sense as you can ever hope for.

And it's also really fun to read too!

The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library series Book 1)
The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Total wish-fulfillment for realworld librarians., 2 Feb. 2016
So much fun ... Rider Haggard meets Herbie Brennan in Terry Pratchett's L-Space. Interesting characters that you want to get to know better ... and a back-story hook that just begs you to read on.

Book 2 coming up!

Sleepy Hollow Season 2
Sleepy Hollow Season 2
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars A wake-up call, 25 Oct. 2015
Fox have worrying Form in terms of cancelling excellent shows that generate an avid and devoted following. I'm genuinely worried that this series will similarly get cut because it has all those hallmarks of being really engaging; humorous while startling; thought-provoking without being preachy; brilliantly scripted, cast, acted and directed ... that's apparently everything that usually encourages Fox to get out their axe. Better hope Abraham gets to the execs first because this show deserves to run and run.

Vampire Shift (Book One) (Kiera Hudson Series One 1)
Vampire Shift (Book One) (Kiera Hudson Series One 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Amateur: for teen readers, 11 Oct. 2015
Not actually the worst book I've ever read and with a good stab at some tension and drama, but overall strikingly amateurish - and not only because it's full of the types of typo and poor choices of phrasing that reveal the author would struggle with English A Level.

The main character is an adult policewoman, but don't be misled by that into thinking it's suitable for an adult reader. The character development and relationships are about on a par with Twilight - adult readers will find this pretty cringe-inspiring, but younger teens would probably get a bit of a thrill.

The gore factor would probably put it at a 12A if it were a film.

The Testing (The Testing Trilogy Book 1)
The Testing (The Testing Trilogy Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just another Hunger Games, 6 Sept. 2015
This story is a post-apocalyptic dystopia, yes, but it has its own flavour and agenda, believable characters and is well-structured: you keep wanting to find out what happens over the page.

I got to the end still wanting to find out what would happen next - always the signature of a good story.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. [DVD]
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. [DVD]
Dvd ~ Henry Cavill
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, fun, fashion, fabulous eye-candy, 15 Aug. 2015
Even at my old age (ahem), Man from UNCLE was already retro when I was a kid, but I adored it and was ready to hate the film for missing the point and spoiling my childhood. There are references to and images of torture that make me seriously doubt the age rating (really should be 15 imo), but other than that it was a blast and a worthy successor to the original series. Gorgeous work on the costumes and art direction... and such PRETTY people! The soundtrack was nifty too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5