Profile for Nick-wales > Reviews

Content by Nick-wales

Nick-wales

H&S 16 Pcs Practice Lock Pick Padlock Picking Tools Kit Training Set with Transparent Practice Padlock
Offered by H&S Alliance UK Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun and actually works!, 20 April 2017
Good for a tenner. I bought this as I had locked my garage keys in my garage and since I wasn't desperate to get in, thought I'd give this a go. Impatience got the better of me and I eventually used a disc cutter, only for the delivery guy to turn up half an hour later with this set. Delivered well with in the time stated.
Out of interest I wanted to see if I could have picked my way into the garage, so reset the Yale padlock and set about having a go. Probably less than 10 minutes of fiddling around with different picks and I had it cracked! Genuinely surprised as it had looked like quite a robust lock and took a fair amount of time to cut off in the first place. The only thing I would say is the tension bars seem quite flimsy and so I've made a better one from an old set of tweezers, heated up over the hob and bent the end over with some pliers. I noticed some people were complaining of the picks snapping. All I can say is, it's obvious that you need a degree of patience with this and if you're snapping picks you're probably applying too much pressure or getting frustrated. Have a brew and try later. Next I'm going to try and crack my front door which seems to be an altogether harder kettle of fish.
Ive included a picture of my homemade tension bar, next to the ones supplied
Comment Comment | Permalink

Silva 4B NATO 6400/360 Compass
Silva 4B NATO 6400/360 Compass
Offered by Claritas

4.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, even if it is a bit pricey, 20 Aug. 2015
Perfect condition on arrival and very good quality, I just can't give it the 5th star because of the price! This is the same type as I was issued in the military with the radioactive glow that doesn't dim. Perfect for night navs and all round map work. I'll just be gutted if I lose/break it at that price. Come on Silva it's a compass not a bar of gold!

KitchenCraft KCFRX  Le'Xpress Frother
KitchenCraft KCFRX Le'Xpress Frother

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 20 Aug. 2015
Why the hell did I buy this? Because I had an Amazon gift voucher and needed to get over £20 for free delivery. So I had a few quid to make it over the 20 and saw this. Arrived as described, a bit cheap looking maybe.... But what it lacks in design quality it makes up for in coffee frothing performance. This thing really flies. First attempt, I started it up before sticking it in the coffee. It threw my coffee out of the cup and onto the walls and ceiling of the kitchen. Made another coffee and this time put the wisk in before starting it up. Same thing happened! Next time I thought I'd just wisk the milk before adding anything else. Milk everywhere. Had a great laugh using this a couple of times but it soon ended up in the bin

TECHGEAR® Samsung Galaxy A3 (SM-A300 Series) GLASS Edition Genuine Tempered Glass Screen Protector Guard Cover (for 2015 released Galaxy A3 only)
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Like it, 20 Aug. 2015
Arrived very quickly and as described. Clear instructions and easy to apply. Better than the plastic ones that get bubbles under if you don't lay them perfectly. This one got two bubbles which were pushed out easily with a bit of pressure and now looks spot on. Also comes with a handy little cloth screen wiper. i am confident this will protect my phone screen from any scratches

Skipping Rope - SALE - Best Speed Jump Rope for Fitness, by We Are Training. #1 Rope for Crossfit, Double Unders, Boxing and Fitness Training. Adjustable Length with Carry Case Included. Get Fit Today!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, 20 Aug. 2015
Used this a couple of times in the gym now and really like it. Unlike the plastic type speed ropes it isn't going to stretch and wear, and the length is easily adjustable. When you have the length correct just snip the excess with wire cutter/pliers. Just be careful of your fingers as it stings a bit more than the plastic/leather ones! Overall very happy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2015 7:36 PM BST

Samsung Protective Anti-Shock and Scratch Clip-On Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy A3 - Brown
Offered by GSMshop

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems good so far, 20 Aug. 2015
This product fits alright and looks decent. A bit disappointed that the fit isn't absolutely perfect considering it was the 'Samsung reccommended' product but it seems to do the job. I have yet to drop my phone on concrete with this on, although it's only a matter of time. So can't really give a proper review until that happens. I would prefer to have gone for a super tough case like the one I have for my iPad but haven't found anything similar for the Galaxy A3. I'm not convinced this will protect my phone from me, as I have a habit of breaking anything expensive/delicate. But time will tell, and to be fair it does protect the camera on the back from scratches when you put it down.

York Fitness Tone Dome
York Fitness Tone Dome

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described. Hard wearing materials and doesn't break ..., 20 Aug. 2015
This review is from: York Fitness Tone Dome (Sports)
Exactly as described. Hard wearing materials and doesn't break the bank. Had this for a couple of months now using it 2 to 3 times a week and it's still going strong.

Merrell Bare Access 4, Men's Lace-Up Running Shoes - Black/Dark Grey, 11 UK
Merrell Bare Access 4, Men's Lace-Up Running Shoes - Black/Dark Grey, 11 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 20 Aug. 2015
I really like these trainers and have to stop myself wearing them everywhere. With regards to running, I use these for shorter runs (2-5km) and they are great for hill sprints. I run on and off road in them. Decent grip on the bottom keeps me from slipping about on grass/light mud and the lightweight design and minimal cushioning really let's you feel the ground.
I also find myself wearing these about town, shopping, driving and for most day to day use. If I could wear them to work and on nights out without looking like a tool, I would.
I will be buying another pair of these when they die.

SanDisk SDMX18-008G-E46K Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player - 8 GB, Black
SanDisk SDMX18-008G-E46K Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player - 8 GB, Black
Offered by Or Tal

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, 26 Aug. 2014
Despite all the reviews which said not to, I looked at the price and thought this would be a good device for taking to the gym/running. It is slow, restarts itself randomly and if a bit of sweat reaches it, it will refuse to work, sometimes for days at a time. Then will switch back on randomly. Less than one year on and it will not charge and is only good for the bin. Feels cheap and Nast and acts it. No way is this worth £30

Helly Hansen Duffel Bag - White, 90 L
Helly Hansen Duffel Bag - White, 90 L

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay bag, 29 April 2012
Read the update at the bottom, and my reply to the comment for my honest opinion after 3-6 months of using this bag. Thanks

DURABILITY: The bag is made of a good strong material which does not easily rip or tear. It has good stitching where handles and straps connect to the main compartment. After a month of rigerous use; getting thrown about; covered in sea water; and going through several airport baggage handling systems, everything looks to be holding up well.
After a boat transfer in rough weather I can say this bag has a high degree of water resistancy, all my kit inside stayed dry even though the outside was sprayed with sea water.

SIZE: I travel usually for a couple of weeks or months at a time. This bag can easily accommodate enough clothes and other items to last me that long, with enough space for some duty free an the way back.

NEGATIVES: The only negative i can find so far is the hand carry straps are quite long, so when I carry it by hand it hangs too close to the ground. Pretty annoying so I find I use the shoulder straps more than I would usually. I'm 6ft so anyone under 5'8'' is probably going to be dragging it accross the floor if you decide not to use the shoulder straps.

POSITIVES: Good value for money. Seems durable so far, though one month isn't really enough time to say for sure. Looks good. Light weight. I'm happy so far!

If you want a good quality kit bag for a fair price, this is a good option.

***UPDATE***. 3 years on.....

At the time I bought the 90 litre version of this bag I paid about £35 for it. For that price it did what it said on the tin and carried kit. After prolonged use I did find flaws in the design;
1) The small flap of material that secures with Velcro over the top of the shoulder straps is pointless and as soon as you put the bag on your back it comes undone.
2) Where the tops of the shoulder straps are attached to the bag the stitching came loose after a few months, which I was disappointed with as I generally take care of my kit and didn't rough handle it around.
3) The material of the bag, while durable, is not padded or reinforced in any way. It does not offer any protection to delicate items such as laptops.

In hindsight, I probably had higher expectations than this bag could deliver. It would be fine for short journeys and carrying sports kit to games, but for regular travel through airports and long distance, this is not the easiest thing to drag about with you everywhere. I soon wished I had just splashed out on one of the north face bags with the wheels, reinforced base and proper luggage handle.

I have adjusted the star rating accordingly. I don't think I would pay £45 for this bag as it is now. Although it was quite cheap for an large bag when I bought it, I would expect better quality from a name such as Helly Hansen.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2016 11:40 PM GMT