Profile for CompactDestruction > Reviews

Casio F-91W-1YER Men's Resin Digital Watch
Casio F-91W-1YER Men's Resin Digital Watch
Offered by Timewazeuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Who needs anything more?, 31 Jan. 2010
The Casio F-91W was my first proper wristwatch, given to me when I was about 7 years old. I used it throughout my childhood.

More recently, I became a football referee, and so I needed to acquire a couple of watches for timekeeping. As I browsed I was amazed to discover these little beauties were still on sale. I suppose it's no surprise, how many things these days are cheap and built to last?

The design is a classic and looks fresh even today. I have disabled the hourly beep, although I still can't help wearing a flicker of a smile whenever I hear it resonating from someone else's wrist.

I wouldn't be surprised if these were still on sale in 20 years. If you lose one (you certainly won't be breaking it!) then you can simply buy another. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this is the biggest-selling watch of all time, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it were to be found on more wrists than any other watch.

In fact I think this watch deserves a knighthood. It has always been there, dependable, simple, sturdy and reliable, for anyone with a few pound coins to rub together.

U-Bop PowerSURE 1200 Mah Performance Battery (BA S370) | HTC T-MOBILE GOOGLE G1 Dream Phone

1.0 out of 5 stars Description changed after purchase, 31 Jan. 2010
This was advertised as a 2200 Mah battery, and was changed after I purchased it. Haven't tested it yet but very disappointed by the false description.

It's actually a 1150 Mah battery, the same as the stock one.

5.0 out of 5 stars BON JOVI ARE BACK, 29 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Circle (MP3 Download)
Right guys and gals. This is the album we have been waiting for from the boys.

Forget Lost Highway and all that rubbish. It is clear that all that was filler while they spent those 14 years since These Days writing this masterpiece.

Also, forget the single, We Weren't Born To Follow. It's a decent song but in the end it's another It's My Life clone and certainly do not use it as an indicator of the sheer quality of the work on this record.

I've heard the leak (knowing full well that I will be buying on release day) and songs like When We Were Beautiful, Work For The Working Man, Superman Tonight, Bullet, and Love's The Only Rule will be instant classics. The rest of the tracks are also brilliant work and far better than the album tracks on the other albums released this decade.

I will highlight these songs however because When We Were Beautiful is the perfect Keep The Faith-style growing meaningful anthem; Work For The Working Man is the Slippery When Wet-style raunchy rocker for the modern day. Bullet completely took me by surprise- Richie is absolutely on fire in this song with his guitar work (and makes similar contributions throughout the album), it's grungy and the talkbox is on full display, you want to be shouting this song out with 30,000 others in a stadium.

Superman Tonight is the best, absolute best Bon Jovi ballad in a long time. And I'm talking POWER on this one, absolutely brilliant.

Love's The Only Rule is my surprise favourite song so far (hard as it is to choose a favourite). I will not spoil this one for you, but when I got to track 9 and this is what I found I remembered what I really love about this band.

On previous 2000s records Bon Jovi have shown they can still write good songs, in 2009 Bon Jovi show they can still write an absolutely kicking album that you will never want to stop listening to.

The superb songwriting is matched by excellent production. You can distinctly hear the contribution of each band member and the drums and bass in particular are very powerful and contribute to the mix being pretty much the perfect marriage of the Bon Jovi style with 2000s production.

I cannot wait to see the band tour this album (I won't be paying the O2 ticket prices though!). Seriously buy this and get Bon Jovi back to number 1 in the UK, this album more than deserves it.

The Circle (Deluxe)
The Circle (Deluxe)

5.0 out of 5 stars BON JOVI ARE BACK, 28 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Circle (Deluxe) (Audio CD)

Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2009 7:06 AM GMT

Offered by Acfun Store

5.0 out of 5 stars BON JOVI ARE BACK, 28 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Circle (Audio CD)

Bon Jovi - Lost Highway: The Concert [DVD] [2007] [NTSC]
Bon Jovi - Lost Highway: The Concert [DVD] [2007] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Bon Jovi
Offered by pb ReCommerce UK

5.0 out of 5 stars :D, 29 Nov. 2007
The description for this title is incorrect. The DVD is regions 2-6 but it is actually in the NTSC picture format, not PAL, so only buy if your system can take it.

Any Other Day is fantastic!

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock - Guitar Bundle (Wii)
Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock - Guitar Bundle (Wii)

1.0 out of 5 stars The Wii Version Is BROKEN - DO NOT BUY!, 20 Nov. 2007
Everyone should know that the Wii version of this game states on the packaging that is is in Dolby Pro Logic II. Well not only is it not in Pro Logic, it is not even in stereo!!! Yes that's right a game released in 2007 is in mono! For a game solely based on music to be in mono is absolutely inexcusable. There's a 14-page thread on the problem in the Guitar Hero forum and Activision are keeping silent on the issue hoping everyone becomes a sucker and buys it anyway. Avoid the Wii version like the plague until Activision acknowledges the issue and releases replacement disks.

Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Get It Now!, 4 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Lost Highway (Audio CD)
Lost Highway- Nice lyrics it has to be said. The beat is constantly driving, like, well driving! The texture is great with the sliding fiddle and banjo. Bon Jovi-branded Plastic Dashboard Jesuses anyone?! However, the solo is too short, but I like the bridge. All in all not adventurous enough. Solid, though not spectacular opener. There is some nice although faint guitar work in the mix in the outro. Will be a great driving song. 7/10

Summertime- This one nicely attacks us, bringing over some aggressiveness from HAND. Some great drumming once again. Feels very much like summer, however the Who Says You Can't Go Home guitar riff is blatantly reused, although in a slightly different way to the original. 7/10

(You Want To) Make A Memory- Fantastic keyboard work. Simple but very effective. Percussion is also solid again. Harmonies between Jon and Richie are amazing. There's a constant heartbeat underpinning the whole thing, a combination of bass and percussion. Amazing build up and climax. Ending is much better than the original fadeout we heard. Richie in the outro... woo! Repetitive lyrics. 9/10

Whole Lot Of Leaving- I have not faulted the percussion up to this point and I'm not about to start by any means. Great lyrics again. Nice distortion guitar work. Nice solo into bridge once again! There's a lot of soul been poured into this one, it is obvious on listening. Effective melody variation in the last chorus. A very strong album track, although could not see it standing as a single alone, this is not much criticism. 9/10

We Got It Going On- Is there anybody out there looking for a party? We are! We have not had a good playabout Bon Jovi song since Captain Crash, but this one is astounding. The talkbox feels more natural, more like the live sound, far less sampled than in previous albums. Great fill. Love everybody! Gorgeous meaty lengthy talkbox solo. Big & Rich are not overused but nicely complement the song. I think this is the first time Richie and Jon have referred to themselves by name in the lyrics! Nice outro once again. Will be a truly stonking live act. 10/10

Any Other Day- Has to absolutely be the next single. Lyrics, beat, rhythm, guitar work, percussion, keyboard, absolutely EVERYTHING IS PERFECT. You will love this guitar solo. Richie is here and he's letting you know it! The two quarter-note slams on the distortion after 'me and you...' electrify me. Bridge is amazing once again. Did I say the solo was amazing? There's TWO SOLOS! AND THIS SECOND ONE IS LIKE NOTHING YOU HAVE HEARD ON ANY 2000s BON JOVI RECORD! Your hair will stand on end! The fade out comes way too soon... we are left hungry for more, and for a proper ending. Can't wait to hear the ending live. It has to be 11/10

Seat Next To You- Sounds very much like a Jon Bon Jovi solo record, like on Destination Anywhere. The percussion and the lyrics are sweet and make you want to go aww :) Unfortunately, it is not spectacular, there isn't much guitar, and including a female backing singer (LeAnn?) sounds a bit of a cobbled together way to make it sound different. 7/10

Everybody's Broken- I think this will be a great driving song too... this for some reason reminds me of driving into the sunset. I love the bridges. Percussion once again spot on. Melody in the chorus is heartwarming. Little guitar once again, but is a solid album track. But I can't see it being good live. 7/10

Til We Ain't Strangers Anymore- So we have the first Bon Jovi song featuring another artist on the main album. The harmonies are admittedly fantastic, and it does a good job of painting a bedroom scene. Nice guitar solo and background work too. Some of the lyrics really work but some are dross 'Make love with me baby til we ain't strangers anymore' as the last main lyric does not ring true with me. And I always see fadeouts as a copout of a real ending. 7/10

The Last Night- Sounds a lot like I Am off Have A Nice Day. No guitar solo. Kind of mediocre really, although the melody is nice in places. Not adventurous. Repetitive. Overall however it does have a good thick texture, and a nice structure. Won't be good live. 7/10

One Step Closer- Immediately strikes me that this will be good live. Towards the end of the main set perhaps. Beautiful sweet lyrics and keyboard work. Warm harmonies. Great placement of the bridge. Nice last 4 bars. Redeems the back half of this album. 9/10

I Love This Town- This song has little international appeal. Strongly US-centric I feel, very twangy. However, it has to be said that this song features all of the band members nicely and so is a good way to round off the album. I hope this doesn't take up space on the set of non-US live shows or get released as a single though; strictly an album track in my opinion. As I have said already, strong guitar (including solo), percussion spot on again, keyboards nicely complement the texture. Warming backing vocals. Great ending + guitar... woo! :D 8/10

Overall- Left step on this occasion comes up trumps for the band. I put this on an equal footing with Have A Nice Day, musically as competent but lighter. Special mention must be made of Any Other Day. Without a doubt the best track on the album and one you will want to play over and over again. Back half could have been better although not quite slipping into the same mediocrity that plagued Crush and Bounce, and the front half is very strong indeed. I will say it once again. ANY OTHER DAY! Next single! Please! Now!

Overall rating- 17/20

Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it now!, 4 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Lost Highway (Audio CD)

Overall rating- 17/20