Profile for Mandy5 > Reviews

Dead Wrong: Straight Facts on the Country’s Most Controversial Cover-Ups
Dead Wrong: Straight Facts on the Country’s Most Controversial Cover-Ups
by Richard Belzer

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Put it Down!, 1 Aug. 2016
I was riveted by this book - just found myself reading it at every opportunity I was granted. It is written in a way that speaks to everyone - its easy to follow timelines and theories, you don't need to have spent time reading and understanding the backgrounds of the people discussed in this book before starting. You can just open it and start!

So that's what I did.

It is well referenced, enabling those of us who want to read on and watch associated videos an easy pathway.

It lays out facts - doesn't tell you what to think, but presents the actual facts - and I felt that in each case, I came away with enough background to form my own conclusions.

That's exactly what a book of this kind should do. Richard Belzer and David Wayne communicate well to the reader and present you with facts that allow you to form your own opinion.

Pick this up and read it - you won't want to put it down!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2016 10:18 PM BST

Polish Bar
Polish Bar
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Go straight for the buy option!, 24 May 2016
This review is from: Polish Bar (Amazon Video)
Reuben wants more - he is talented and he wants to use that, but he sees the apparent ease in making money in less than honest and respectful means.

Its hard to dislike him, despite his lack of consideration for his actions and the affect it will have on his family. Despite that - family does matter to him. This is abundantly clear in how he stands up for his cousin. The road he is on just can't go well however.

I enjoyed Vincent Piazza's portrayal of Reuben, and will be looking out for more of his roles.

Richard Belzer is great in his role as just about the only person who doesn't turn Reuben away, despite the mess he becomes embroiled in. He mediates for him and gives him support when really everyone else is too disappointed and upset to.

Must mention Judd Hirsch too - I was thrilled when his name came up on the credits. He always delivers a great performance.

I knew I would regret renting this movie as I will undoubtedly want to keep it! I should have gone for the buy option straight away!

The Foliage: (Prequel) (The Foliage Series Book 1)
The Foliage: (Prequel) (The Foliage Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Moving Glimpse into a Post Apocalyptic World., 8 April 2016
This book drew me in right from the start as it follows the story of a group of survivors after a virus has left two thirds of the population as fungus mutated killers. But the biggest threat is humanity itself, in the form of the sinister UNA who are hiding a horrific secret, which when revealed was something I was not expecting. The ending left me on the edge of my east and I can't wait for book 2 this novella is a great beginning to this series, and I'm looking forward to the second book in the series.

The Pregnancy Questions and Answer Book
The Pregnancy Questions and Answer Book
by Christoph Lees
Edition: Flexibound

4.0 out of 5 stars Good all round book, 13 Aug. 2007
This was the first of many books i purchased while pregnant. It is a good all round book - everything was covered,and the illustrations and pictures were very good.

Only drawback is that i needed to get other books to look at some topics in more depth.

Daisy Chain (Sapphire and Steel)
Daisy Chain (Sapphire and Steel)
by Joseph Lidster
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Darker themes emerging., 13 July 2005
I enjoyed this story - it certainly played on a far darker theme than the previous story. I think that the characters of Sapphire and Steel are developing well, and it's very easy to picture the original cast - they both represent these characters well.
At the end there is a shock - it works well, but I found Sapphire's involvement a bit out of character. If Steel had been in her place, then it would have been more believeable, but based on what we know about her from a previous televised adventure (don't wanna say too much in case I spoil it!) then I don't think she would been involved in the way that she was.
Elements and themes from the televised adventures are still being borrowed heavily, but I think it is developing well as a series. I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment.

The Longest Night: v. 1 (Angel)
The Longest Night: v. 1 (Angel)
by Christopher Golden

4.0 out of 5 stars I could barely put the book down, 25 Nov. 2003
I was instantly captured by this book, and read it within two days. I enjoyed it on the whole, although due to the nature of the book (a collection of short stories), I fele it lacked depther where the charaters were concerned, on some stories. I realise that indepth character potrayls on each character where the story's are so much shirter, is very difficult though.
Looking at the broader spectrum of the book, I did find it a very enjoyable read, the authors all had a good knowledge of the characters and the themes of the show, and did not make the mistake of assuming the reader has no background knowledge. (I have read some novels that have spent too much time explaining things that the target audience would already know). The blanace in that respect was just right, and the stories reeled me in and kept me wanting to find out more.
This is a good book for fans who enjoy Angel novels, as well as those who just want to give it a try, as each story is quite different. There's something for everyone in this book.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper
by Barbara Vine
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow to start - but I couldn't put it down towards the end., 24 May 2001
I did enjoy the story, and was surprised by the twists.
My only criticisms would be that I found it a little hard to follow in the first half of the book. The story of where she was now in her life would cut in a little too abruptly, and too often for me, to the story of the past.
However, it did keep me interested, and as the story went on, it flowed far more smoothly. The first part can be a pit off putting as it doesn't flow very well, but it does get better, and I found myself glued to it once I was half way through. I became very intrigued as to what had happenned to these people in the future - and couldn't put the book down towards the end.