Profile for shamaroth > Reviews

I, Lucifer
I, Lucifer
by Glen Duncan

5.0 out of 5 stars The spiritual guide of the millenia!, 18 May 2003
This review is from: I, Lucifer (Paperback)
It's tough judging humanity and the human experience objectively when you are a mortal yourself.
And so Glen Duncan guides the reader on a journey of revelation, riding on the back of Lucifer's wit and fury, where he explores what it is like to be taxpayer. We see the world from the view of Satan himself, and get to know this being that the preachers warn us about.
However, seeing as half of our worlds greatest writers have "human behavior" as their subjects, this isn't really that great of a feat. What Glen Duncan REALLY manages here is to remain objective; that while Satan portrays himself as the free-thinking rebel, the underdog constantly blighted by the power of God, "I, Lucifer" holds the balance dearly between good and evil, wonderfully demonstrating that everyone has their flaws, be they mortal or a member of the angelic host. Littered around the pages are short stories of various eras, such as the extermination of the nephilim, the Nazi regime, the redemption of the playboy satanist and the iron grip the Inquisition held on the peasant people, not to mention the life story of most of the books most prominent characters, each and every one colourful yet broken, sad husks. And while Lucifer enjoys his newly-acquired five senses, he starts investigating his own fragile psyche...
"I, Lucifer" is much more than a mere book, but a collection of stories that each carry a meaning, a myriad of tales that each teaches us something about the dangers of the flesh and mind.