Profile for Bagpuss > Reviews

Reflections
Reflections
Offered by nagiry

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same from Candice Night, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Reflections (Audio CD)
Beautiful voice. Soulful lyrics. I love Blackmore's Night, so was eager to see if Candice's solo album would see her push herself. Alas not. More of the same, which is no bad thing. But I'm just left wondering ...

Chapter and Verse
Chapter and Verse

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Bateman"s Best, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Chapter and Verse (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic read. A story that will make you laugh and cry. A love story that isn't really about love. Bateman at the top of his game!

Jamie Oliver Large Mediterranean Sea Salt Grinder
Jamie Oliver Large Mediterranean Sea Salt Grinder
Offered by The Fuzzy Bear Family

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 27 Jun. 2013
Like the previous reviewer, a great grinder but then discovered that it was single use. I feel really cheated that it is single use and doesn't help having Jamie's smug face on the front!

The Turtle Moves!: Discworld's Story Unauthorized
The Turtle Moves!: Discworld's Story Unauthorized

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't add much to Discworld, 10 Jun. 2013
I am of mixed views about this book. I love Discworld and all things TP and thought this would interesting. It's not. While Lawrence Watt Evans (real name) tries to be funny, he comes across as jealous. He finds faults with Discworld which are purile and irrelevant and his points of view add little to the series.

He also constantly moans about the fact that Terry Pratchett is English and writes in English, not American. How dare he! Yes we read books in the UK.

I have never heard of Lawrence Watt Evans and going by this book, I wouldn't want to read anything by him again. I'm not surprised this is unauthorised.

Night Watch: (Discworld Novel 29) (Discworld series)
Night Watch: (Discworld Novel 29) (Discworld series)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the best, 5 Jun. 2013
I have been a life long fan of Terry Pratchett and I really enjoyed Night Watch when I first read it. Re-reading it on my Kindle, I was blown away by how amazing this book is. TP writes great novels and this surpasses most of the Discworld books. Taking the time travel premise and applying it to Sam Vimes, this book twists and turns and I genuinely felt sad when I reached the last page.
If you are new to Discworld, it will have helped to have read the previous Night Watch books, but this is one of the best.

Thank you Terry for giving m the gift of a book that I wished would never end/

A Good Day To Die (Raven Book 1)
A Good Day To Die (Raven Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Raven or is it just Crow???, 25 May 2013
Like some other reviewers, I grew up reading Edge, Crow and Herne the Hunter. I had never tried Raven and even though the name sounded a bit similar, I thought I'd give it a go. What a load of rubbish! Crow wears black, so does Raven. Crow carries a Purdey, Raven carries a scattergun. Crow is lean and mean. Yup, guess what, so is Raven. When in chapter 2, Raven shoots a dog in almost identical fashion to Crow, I gave up and deleted the book off of my Kindle. This drivel is just a poor copy of Crow. Save your money and download Crow instead. Even if this was free, it would still be unreadable!

The Pink Panther / The Pink Panther 2 Double Pack [DVD] [2006]
The Pink Panther / The Pink Panther 2 Double Pack [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Steve Martin
Offered by TwoRedSevens

1.0 out of 5 stars utter drivel of the highest calibre, 15 May 2013
As a life long fan of Peter Sellers and Inspector Clouseau, I was intrgued when Steve Martin was set to reboot the character. Now before I say anything more, I must also confess that I am a huge fan of Steve Martin's work.

The Pink Panther and the 10 other films (if you count the Martin movies) it spawned, vary in quality, but unfortunately these two Steve martin films are nothing short of hideous!

Steve Martin lacks any kind of charm or screen presence and comes across as a very pale imitation of Peter Sellars (even Alan Arkin is better in this role than him!) And if I see Steve Martin trying to say "hamburger" one more time as Clouseau, I'll be sick!!

Still, in comparison, if I thought PP1 was rubbish, then it stands head and shoulders over the drivel that was PP2. A comedy where they forgot to put in anything remotely funny. I reckon Steve Carrel is the man who should have a stab next at playing Clouseau next, as Steve Martin fails to bring even a glimmer of smile to these horrid cash-ins.

Peter Sellars would be turning in his grave at this rubbish and I was forced to give it one star by Amazon. How sad they don't allow negative ratings. Please for your own sake, avoid this like the plague!!!

Tears of Blood (A Crow Western Book 3)
Tears of Blood (A Crow Western Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Crows back!, 13 May 2013
Like many reviwers before me, I grew up on the new breed of western. Edge, Herne, Adam Steele, the Undertaker Barnaby Gold, Cuchillo Oro, Macallister and of course the purdey weilding Crow. If you are were a fan of John Wayne and James Stewart then this series isn't for you. Dark, violent, sexual and bloody, Crow is the antithesis of the good cowboy in the white hat.

Maybe not as cleverly written as Edge and certainly not as enthralling as Herne, these books are still worth a read. However, this book (and the series) lost a star because the spelling and punctuation is appalling! Come on Picadilly publishers don't treat us loyal fans like rubbish and chuck out these books without spell checking first. It's an insult to your readers. I also hate the covers of all these reissues. So trashy. At least get an artist who knows the characters.
Moanins aside, still lovely to be reacquainted with the man in black.

Evolution (1993)
Evolution (1993)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enter a new Guitar God, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Evolution (1993) (Audio CD)
Misha calvin appeared from nowhere in 1993 with Evolution. A stuuning album with track vocals shared by either Tony martin or Ian Parry. like other reviewers, this album would have been so much better with Martin singing on all the tracks, but Parry does a respectable job.

Fantastic fretwork without the pompus crap of players like Malmsteem. Why this album didn't sell in the millions, I will never know.

Despite a follow up album (not as good and no Tony Martin), Misha Calvin came and then he went. Come back Misha. Evolution should have changed the world.

Dodger
Dodger
by Terry Pratchett

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Hat Reading!, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Dodger (Hardcover)
I'm not sure when Terry P actually wrote this book as it is a fantastic retunr to form after the dire Thud. A standalone Victorian novel that spins a tale around the Artful Dodger. Great read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10