Profile for S. Dibble > Reviews

Content by S. Dibble

S. Dibble "restorersteve" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Orbitsound SB60LX 200W Soundbar with Integrated Down-firing Subwoofer Powered by airSOUND Technology
Offered by Richer Sounds

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended as a great value sound improvement system for your TV., 15 April 2015
I got the SB60 (the black glossy piano finish one available for £199 from John Lewis) yesterday and am pleased to say it works for me and my aging hearing. It is very simple to connect with either optical (if your TV has one) connection or headphone output. The sound is a vast improvement on my new Sony Bravia speakers and has more power than I suspect you will need. Volume on mine is turned down low so other family members are not annoyed and I can still hear speech very clearly and benefit from from a huge range from low bass on some music tracks to high treble while maintaining clarity in mid range. I highly recommend the SB60 for anyone wishing to improve the disappointing sound of many modern flat screen TV's. I run this with a Humax Fox T2 PVR and haven't encountered any problems with set up or connections. I am very pleased that I won't be needing a hearing aid or headphones to watch TV for some time yet.

Antiference P1200 12 V Masthead Aerial Power Supply Unit
Antiference P1200 12 V Masthead Aerial Power Supply Unit

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 19 Jan. 2014
Not much to say about this! I plugged it in and it works. Seems good quality and is I believe UK made. Recommended.

Quality Prem-I-Air 0.25 L 'El Poquito' Mini Peltier Dehumidifier with 0.5 L Tank Capacity
Offered by One Click Wonder

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for wardrobes etc, 19 Jan. 2014
This arrived very quickly and sits very quietly in the back of our built in wardrobe. It fills the reservoir in a week and keeps mould and damp at bay very effectively. I have it on a timer so runs for 12 hours through the day and off at night. Highly recommended.

Petzl Pixa 3 Headtorch
Petzl Pixa 3 Headtorch
Offered by PICKSEA

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best for my purposes., 19 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Petzl Pixa 3 Headtorch (Sports)
Bought this in the hope that I would get better battery life, my previous petzl only had AAA batteries and would fade after only a couple of hours. While this one does last much longer I am afraid to say it is too bulky for my purposes. I use it for working in confined spaces and it keeps knocking against things which is frustrating when trying to concentrate on a fiddly job. Also the on off switch is a nuisance, when I try to move it between functions the whole headset swivels upwards or downwards making it a two handed task just to turn a knob, one to hold the torch still, the other to turn the knob. I have reverted to using my previous model and am investing in more batteries! I am sure however that this model would be fine for nightwalks etc the light is very bright and long lasting by comparison. Any situation where you don't have to use the pesky switch very often.

2 Litre AirPro Midi Compact Air Dehumidifier for Home, Kitchen, Bedroom, Bathroom, Caravan etc

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 19 Jan. 2014
Arrived very quickly and is very effective at keeping our utility room dry. It is drawing just under 2 litres of moisture a week from a cold room (two outside walls) with washing machine on every day and freezer running continuously. I run it through the day and off at night. Highly recommended for a small room or conservatory. NOTE: the fan is quite noisy so can be distracting if you are using the room.

Logitech Wireless Desktop MK270 - UK layout
Logitech Wireless Desktop MK270 - UK layout

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful and it works, 16 Jan. 2014
Bought this to go with my new Ankermann Office PC having used similar kit for previous laptops and PC. It is plug and play in it's purest sense - just remove the the battery tabs, plug in to any USB port, switch on (both have on/off switches to save battery drain) and it works. However I will continue to use my previous Logitech M505 model mouse and Advent wireless keyboard for reasons of quality and touch. I will keep these in reserve, they feel cheap in comparison, and they are! The unifying module will work with all similar products from Logitech, so there are no concerns about getting stuck if something breaks.
Recommended for hassle free setting up and reliable back up if something goes wrong with other mice / keyboards that you may be using.

Nokia Lumia 625 SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Nokia Lumia 625 SIM-Free Smartphone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value phone, 15 Jan. 2014
I bought this after giving up on a Samsung Galaxy Ace that I had for several months and could not get on with - slow, clunky useless internal memory, poor battery, lousy reception, etc etc.
The Lumia in contrast is fast, responsive, familiar (running Windows) thus easy to use, has good reception and decent battery life. Email and internet both work well and were a doddle to set up as was pairing to my vehicle handsfree. It also seems to be well built though time will tell.
It is quite a big phone so is not for everybody but suits me and my ageing eyesight!
Altogether a great phone for my needs and at £140 (not Amazon) good value too.

Update October 2014:
After several months of problem free service microsoft in their wisdom decided to update it to Windows 8.1 and as a consequence the phone has died and been returned for repair where I will lose all my data. Hours of attempts at soft and hard resetting did nothing.
The Nokia software recovery tool version 1.5 which can be downloaded from their official site and is supposed to resolve any issues could not be installed on either a newish i5 laptop running 7 Home Premium or very new pc running 7 Professional, so how useful is that? All in all I am now very disappointed - a good phone ruined by typical buggy microsoft os, following their old and I had thought forgotten, test it on the public philosophy.
I now have to say proceed with caution if you are considering one of these formerly great phones.

Further update:
After much messing about the problem was found to be the SD card (Grade 4) which worked fine with windows 8 but NOT with the 8.1 update. You will need a Grade 6 or higher for it to work properly, pity this was not made clearer from the start. I now have a Sandisk SDSDQXL-032G Extreme in it which was comparatively expensive and probably overkill but with relief I can now say the phone is now working perfectly again.

Ankermann-PC Silent Office - AMD FX-4300 4x 3.8 GHz Turbo: 4.00GHz - onBoard Graphic DVI-HDMI-VGA - 8 GB DDR3 RAM - 500 GB Hard Drive - DVD-Writer - Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit - Card Reader - EAN 4260219658447

5.0 out of 5 stars Great PC at a very competitive price., 15 Jan. 2014
Arrived in only 4 days from Germany. Well built, good quality PC. Fast for all the usual tasks, start up, surfing, photo handling and editing, website building and modifying activities. I have downloaded Virtual PC to run XP Mode for an old but essential accounting program which works perfectly. All in all I am very pleased with both the product and service provided by Ankermann, there is also a bonus - it is the quietest running PC I have ever owned, I can barely hear it, only the lights betray the fact that it is switched on.
Highly recommended for a good quality everyday, modern, office PC at a very good price.

Samsung S5830i Galaxy Ace Onyx Black
Samsung S5830i Galaxy Ace Onyx Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Downgraded to this phone, 19 Dec. 2013
I have had this phone for some months now, it was recommended by o2 after my feeling the need to upgrade from my ancient Nokia 6310i which had served me well for nearly 10 years, and I have tried very hard to like it.
Unfortunately I think it is a horrible phone and certainly brings new meaning to the word "upgrade".

The interface is slow and clunky, the internal memory is tiny, it is too difficult to move apps etc to the sd card, I have to keep it on 2G as reception is appalling on 3G - rather defeating the object of having a smart phone, the screen goes black while making a call necessitating a load of "button pressing" to get the screen back, it doesn't pair up fully with my handsfree so can't use the vehicle remote buttons to operate it, it has been back for repair already after freezing and refusing to charge, so all in all not very good and I am sure there are things I have missed out.
My wife and brother in law both have Nokia Lumias in a similar price range and they are far superior in every aspect. The only positive thing is the camera, which isn't bad.

While this is not the place to complain about O2 I will say that they have been unhelpful and expensive compared to others and their advice on choice of phone stinks. Needless to say I have a Nokia Lumia 625 on order at a very competitive price and the sim will be going in that - much cheaper than O2's offer of their new Refresh tariff.

Devolo dLAN 500 Wi-Fi Adapter
Devolo dLAN 500 Wi-Fi Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well after some fiddling, 5 Dec. 2013
Unlike others who have bought this I had a problem setting it up. After sometime of messing about trying to get it to join an established network with three other Devolo 200 Dlans that work perfectly I discovered from the Devolo website that there had been a faulty batch. After following their instructions to reset the device it now works perfectly, so 5 stars, but I think they could have made the faulty batch problem more obvious.

Page: 1 | 2