Profile for L. Cato > Reviews

Content by L. Cato

L. Cato (Bristol, UK)

Garmin Forerunner 305 Wrist-Worn GPS Personal Training Device with Heart Rate Monitor (discontinued by manufacturer) (discountinued by manufacturer)
Offered by AOT (UK VAT registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Massive, but worth it, 13 Sept. 2011
This watch looks massive...and it is, but it's also deceptively light and it makes it easy to see the screen.

It beeps quite a lot, but if you like beepy things that tell you when you're not working hard enough or that they've lost GPS signal then that's fine. I don't mind the beeping and if you run a race then everyone else's watches are beeping too so you won't feel left out.

The GPS only lost signal when I went under tunnels and even then it managed to regain the signal quickly, so you can track your distance and pace pretty accurately, especially if you don't have too many tunnels near your house.

There are loads of easy to use features. I especially like the virtual workout partner as I could put in the distance and race time I wanted and it then tells you what pace you need to keep to and warns you when you are running slower than that. I would say that the watch actually helped me get a personal best in my last race (that and some training, but it was mainly the watch)

I bought this as I'm running a long trail in a few months and don't want to get lost, this looks like it will be a huge help for that and it's also been invaluable for all my training so far. I can see how I'm progressing and can also upload this to my computer to create some pretty nerdy spreadsheets and graphs if I really wanted to. And if I do get lost on the coast path then it will tell me my coordinates so I can call the coastguard and be hauled to safety.

This also comes with a heart rate monitor, which is great - but my advice here would be to use some sort of lubricant on the strap that goes around your chest as the plastic is fairly unforgiving and it takes the top layer of your skin off after a few miles. However, I just ran a half marathon with it and used vaseline to save my skin from disaster and it was fine. (sorry if that's too much information!)

If you like your running or cycling and like to know how you're getting on whilst you're out on the road/trail then this watch is great. The reduced price also makes it a bargain if you think about how much you'll use it. I'm totally sold on it and it makes my old (more expensive) Polar watch look pretty rubbish. If you're deciding between the two then go for this one. Definitely.

L'Occitane Almond Foaming Shower Oil 250ml
L'Occitane Almond Foaming Shower Oil 250ml

5.0 out of 5 stars The only shower gel I'll use from now on!, 29 Dec. 2008
I've been through a fair lot of bath products in my time and rarely do any keep me from trying other brands. I've just been bought this as a Christmas present and can safely say I'll never use another shower gel again. It smells amazing, it feels like washing in kittens and it makes me want to shower about 5 times a day! On the practical side - for us girls it will stop your legs being an arrid desert in the winter and, for blokes, it's not too girly a smell and will probably make your chest hair all shiny. Lovely.

Hard-Boiled Wonderland And The End Of The World
Hard-Boiled Wonderland And The End Of The World
by Haruki Murakami

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreamscapes, 26 Feb. 2007
This book is likely to have a profound effect on anyone that reads it. There are some dreams that have a bleakness about them, a sense of jepoardy and emptiness that carries right through to the next day. You wake feeling detached from the real world and sit for hours lost in your own thoughts. This book taps into that universal feeling, that world sadness that washes over us from time to time.

Murakami manages to draw you into a place that is so different from the mundane routines we inhabit and yet so familiar. This book is compelling, it is complex, it is the human psyche turned into a story. It is, above all, an amazing novel.