Profile for King of pain > Reviews

Content by King of pain

King of pain (Hereford, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Only by the Night
Only by the Night
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars This band is on FIRE!, 28 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Only by the Night (Audio CD)
Wow! what an album. This Im sad to say is my first purchase of the Kings of Leon. After hearing the popular Sex is on fire and use_somebody endlessley played on the radio I could'nt help but be hooked in. I've always been aware of the quality of this band but have never been drawn in enough to really get into them. I guess im 'the new fan'that the sucess of this record has opened then up to. Back catalouge here I come....

Cardinology
Cardinology

5.0 out of 5 stars Cardinology-GOLD!, 28 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Cardinology (Audio CD)
Well what can i say, Ryan Adams and the Cardinals have possibly produced their best work yet. This is a fantastic album that from the first listen your aware is good, but played again and again the songs really grow on you! It has everything you've come to expect from Ryan & co. Little bit country, little bit rock, little bit blusey, little bit folky. The man can do no wrong, if your a fan buy! you won't be dissapointed...

Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings
Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings

2.0 out of 5 stars 6 YRS!, 9 Oct. 2008
It pains me to say it, but after much time spent genuinely trying to like this album and find some quality in it I have to say its dissapointing.It's not terrible by any stretch but its just bland. Like so many have stated before me it just fails to live up to previous works, I mean it really dosen't sit with the others at all. It feels like a tired re-working of previous efforts and themes. Maybe 'Live' some of these tracks may jump out, but I feel doubtful when you know the likes of Mr.Jones, Round Here, Long December, Mrs. Potters Lullaby are coming. The Crows are and probably will always be one of my favourite bands and I know the depths this band can take you to, but I guess Im growing up a little at 30! but I don't know if this band is growing with me. It took six yrs for this! don't leave it so long guys! Good songs for me, Hanging Tree, Cowboys (goes on far to long though) and Anyone but you.

Voodoo Lounge
Voodoo Lounge
Offered by GMFT

4.0 out of 5 stars One of their best since their heyday!, 20 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Voodoo Lounge (Audio CD)
I was 17 back in 1995, and the voodoo lounge tour at 'the old' Wembley was the first BIG GIG I had ever attented. My brother 5 yrs my seniour had got 2 tickets to see a band, I thought were ok but had certainly had their time in the sun and were much more yesterday than today (mid-nineties at that moment!) Then, on the barrier, just to the right of the mic(Keith side)I was completley blown away!it changed my life. I liked music but this made me love it! LIVE music captured my soul, my imagination, my life! I suddenly understood the Stones,the sixties/seventies the whole rock & roll thing! Sorry went on abit there?!?
To get back to this album, I became a stones fan in reverse really buying this before the others. And although some of their past works are great, in recent times I feel this album has been over looked (don't forget it won Grammys) It definately there best modern album evereything 10 yrs before or after it, is not as good. Out of tears is as beutiful as Wild horses or Angie. At the prices on Amazon, you won't be dissapointed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2014 7:51 PM GMT

All That You Can't Leave Behind
All That You Can't Leave Behind

3.0 out of 5 stars U2 Good when its good!, 20 Mar. 2008
Lets face it, its not classic U2. The Joshua Tree,The Unforgettable fire, Rattle & Hum,and without doubt my favourite Actung Baby!Are the albums that roped me into the U2 heart,a place difficult to escape. Im still a fan, always will be, will always buy their new album etc. Regarding this one, well its a nod back in the right direction for me after the experimental pop which lets face it was quite poor. People that dig it, are just trying to be 'different'. Beutiful day really helped re-launch them and it works, a heart beat beat an odd but subtle arrangement with Edge's chimming guitars and Bono glorious vocals. Stuck in a moment has that slight gospel feel to it, Elevation gets you jumping & walk on is lovely melancholic rock. Kite tugs on the heart strings and is reminiscent of acrobat. It then goes a little bland for 4 tracks, heads into 'crap territorey' with Grace & New York, then luckily ends on The ground beneath her feet, for me a slightly over-looked U2 gem.

Love It to Life
Love It to Life

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better?, 17 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Love It to Life (Audio CD)
When I first heard Jesse was releasing a LIVE album,I thought brillant! Anyone who's seen him live will no what a great performer he is and how much energy and heart he puts into his songs.Well? its not really captured on this,the songs are fine he sings them well the band are tight,but its just abit lacking.This had the promise to be something abit special and it just feels abit average. If your a fan of his works though I would recommend it, I mean its Jesse!its good to add to your collection.

You See Colours
You See Colours
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't DELAY!, 17 Feb. 2008
This review is from: You See Colours (Audio CD)
For whatever reason I kept putting off buying this album although I throughly enjoyed their first album Faded Seaside Glamour. Well if anyone out there is reading this in my prior situation, DON'T DELAY! This is a quality follow up album (no tricky second album problems here..)it more than matches the first. There a real talent these boy's and deserve far more recognition! The album start very strong the first 3 songs get right under your skin from the first listen and then there are the delights of Winter's Memory of Summer, Hideaway etc to come. It's good stuff, go buy if your tempted at the prices on Amazon, you really won't be let down with this.

Up (U.S. Version)
Up (U.S. Version)
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Experimental Tripe!, 25 July 2007
This review is from: Up (U.S. Version) (Audio CD)
I see the used ones are avalible at 0.29p. Thats a fair reflection on a dyer album. If your a regular fan of good indie/americana/rock&roll steer well wide of this. There are 2 good songs DAYSLEEPER & AT MY MOST BEUTIFUL. The rest is awful!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2012 3:05 PM BST

August & Everything After
August & Everything After

5.0 out of 5 stars True Love, 25 July 2007
My first true musical love.Counting Crows are a fantastic band,an immensely talented band of individuals in their own right put together with the voice and beauty of Adam Duritz lyrics you really have something a little bit special here.This lived in my Hi-fi for years and is never far from it now.Guitars,mandolins, pedal steel,piano,hammond b-3 organ the sound is lush.The tone often sombre but so richly painted this is a classic!and is deservedly their most famous and sucessful record.Anyone looking into the Crows star here,anyone after a classic album buy this.

This New Day
This New Day

4.0 out of 5 stars A substansial follow up to the previous..., 23 July 2007
This review is from: This New Day (Audio CD)
Those who bought Out of nothing,will be happy with this.It's not quite as good but is still a very solid album,U2/coldplay would be the influences in here I would say.Its hauting,uplifting and roaring in places.Very hands in the air,if your pretending to be Danny in the privacy of your own home..if you catch my drift.

Page: 1 | 2