Profile for J. Lindeboom > Reviews

The Complete Far Side
The Complete Far Side
by Gary Larson

5.0 out of 5 stars Two big piles of fun and laughter!!!, 26 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Complete Far Side (Hardcover)
For over five and a half years, I have the Complete Edition of the Far Side by Gary Larson.These big and heavy books (I think they have a weight of more the twenty kilogram together) are filled with all the funny cartoons of Gary Larson from 1980 until 1994. Mostly drew in black & white, but sometimes in grey shades and also in FULL COLOUR!!! The slipcase that holds the two books together is very beautiful too! Two full-coloured sides! I love the humour of Gary Larson. My parents had years ago every year the 365 -days tear-off calendar of the Far Side. Each page of it gave us a bunch of laughter. Most of the pages are kept for saving. And I have some old comic books of the Far Side. But this two big booked Complete Edition of the Far Side is my most possessed bunch of comics after all. I really love Gary Larson and his Far Side Cartoons! When I looked at it and reading the text below each cartoon, you can wipe me up! Every time I'm laughing about it! Gary Larson, you are a legend!!! The Far Side rocks!!!!!!! Every fan of Gary Larson must have this two booked Complete Edition! Cows, insects, grandparents, parents-in law and other animals and human people, watch out! Here comes the Far Side!!!!!

NikeFIT Women's PRO Ultimate Tight Short Sleeve Crew
NikeFIT Women's PRO Ultimate Tight Short Sleeve Crew

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes everyone look good, 23 July 2011
I bought the size 6 and it was perfect for me. I'm 5'10, weigh 130 lbs and I have pretty broad shoulders for a woman. The fabric is very flexible without pulling on you. It doesn't ride up and just feels like a second skin. The design is just like on the picture and I actually find it to look better in real life. A great buy especially since it's only 5 pounds. I've bought it mainly for sports but it looks great as casual wear too.

If On A Winter's Night (Gatefold Cover)
If On A Winter's Night (Gatefold Cover)

1.0 out of 5 stars Time to get back to Earth..., 5 Nov. 2009
Sting is an artist with talent. You can like or dislike what he makes, but he can sing, he can write and he always surrounds himself with top notch musiscians. In the past, he has had huge success. But why do succesful artists always tend to get their heads up in space? After the intitial Shakespeare inspired songs, a great 9/11 concert that showed his humanity, he chose the holy path, going as far as projecting himself as a sort of "jezus" figure in the clip of "Brand New Day." This has been a couple of years ago and he has gotten worse since then. Insightful lyrics are replaced with mopey songs about looking inside your soul more of that lot. But this...He has literally outdone himself. I should have seen this coming because Sting has tried to master vocals that aren't his own before. By now I thought he'd learned the cliché "be yourself, everybody else is taken," but my hopes were too high.

First off, the booklet. Beautifully shot pictures that ooze atmosphere going as far as looking something like a photo exhibition. As another reviewer pointed out, Sting's beard and 'seasoned' appearance gives us a good idea of what his music might be like. Then there's a premise written by the man himself. He gives a detailed, novelesque description of what it is like to sit in a cold room with a lot of muscisians. This takes more than 2 pages to describe, because everyone is so marvelous and great they need many setences dedicated to them, saying how great they are in several different poetic ways. Now, ofcourse it's nice when an artist takes the time to give credit to the people they work with, but this seems almost pretentious.

Anyway, on to the music. After all, that's what really matters. I needed the lyrics in order to understand what was said in most of the songs. Sting has lowered his voice to this....combination of sounds that could have come from a tuba. Sometimes I can hear "Gabriel" when he makes the mistake of actually trying to pronounce a word. It sounds like something holy, something that cannot and should not be grasped by normal earthlings like myself. And then there are the cliché's. An Irish violin, a Scottish harpist, and several other instruments in order to sound like something historical. And then I realize the music is exactly like the pictures. It tries so hard to be something profound, it ends up being everything except that.

Sting, stop trying to be something and be something. Being yourself worked just fine in the past. Why fix something that is not broken?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2013 6:50 PM GMT

From Where I Stand
From Where I Stand
by Tabitha Suzuma

2.0 out of 5 stars Promising plot, but not living up to it, 6 Jun. 2008
This review is from: From Where I Stand (Paperback)
First off: I don't hate this book. I don't even dislike it. I just don't like it enough to give it 3 stars, that's all. Maybe it's because I'm 20 and technically not a "young adult" anymore (though the term "grown up" doesn't quite apply either...) Anyway, the book just didn't do it for me like it did for the other reviewers. Here's why.

The plot is really promising. The main character is Raven, a good-looking teen with a troubled past that has caused him to shut everyone out from his life. He barely talks and his arms look like he got into a fight with a vampire / really nasty cat. The reason is that his mom was murdered and he knows who did it, but doesn't know how to bring that person to justice. Confiding into a yappy school friend called Lotte -who does a bad job at hiding that she's in love with him- they try to collect evidence against him. However, as they get closer to the truth, the truth doesn't seem to be the one they want.

Though summarized by my poor writing, it still sounds pretty good huh? That's the thing. We don't get into Raven's head. We're as clueless as the supporting characters in the story. And because Raven shuts everyone out, he shuts us out as well. Ofcourse it was written this way so the ending would surprise us, but I'd liked it much better if it was written from his perspective, his narrative. The characters are all a bit too 2-dimensional, including Raven himself. The strength of stories like this lies in character depth. The more well-rounded the characters are, the better the book. As you can see from my rating, this book doesn't live up to the standard.

Atonement [DVD] [2007]
Atonement [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley
Offered by DVDBayFBA

3.0 out of 5 stars luckily for this film, I'm a patient person., 24 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Atonement [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
There was a lot of hype surrounding this film, as you know. I, a movie addict, ofcourse had to go watch it too. So there I sat, in a cinema in London, waiting for the magic to happen. It did alright, but for atleast the first half hour I found the ceiling more interesting to watch than the movie.

You have to have patience for this film. Perseverance to sit through it.
For most of the first part of the movie, we see the same events twice, once as observed by Cecilia's sister from a distance, and once "as they happen," which we later learn isn't any more accurate than the first version.

When well done, this way of storytelling can really work for the movie, like Morgan Freeman's voice-over did in the "Shawshank Redemption" (which is far superb in my opinion.) In "Atonement," I'm not sure it's a success or a failure. The young Briony worked on my nerves and this feeling increased as the film progressed and I got to see "what really happened."
The film tries to explain the little girl's actions and opnions, which is done well. The only thing they failed to do was to create sympathy for her. If I had a little sister like Briony, I would've kicked her out of the house, she's that irritating.

Keira Knightly (Cecilia) and James McAvoy (Robbie) save the movie with their great acting. Their chemistry is fantastic and Keira really is a girl to die for in this movie. Very thin (almost anorexic) but gorgeous nontheless.

As the movie moves on and irritating young Briony has grown up, it becomes more bearable. Enjoyable even. It was only then that I actually relaxed in my chair instead of making up my mind whether I'll leave the cinema or not. The scenes and soundtrack is really well done, it's as much a piece of art as Keira is beautiful.

I'm not going to reveal too much of the plot; you probably know already and many reviewers have put a synopsis in their review if you need it. I just wanted to point out that the movie is very slow and detailed. And you'll have to sit through a long time being put up with an irritating "main character" (the movie can't seem to be able to choose between the irritating brat and the lovely couple, whose love seems to be doomed forever)