Profile for C. Atkinson > Reviews

Tyneside Irish
Tyneside Irish
by John Sheen

5.0 out of 5 stars Tyneside Irish, 9 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Tyneside Irish (Hardcover)
I have been carrying out research in connection with a soldier from WW1 who lived in Haughton-le-Skerne and is buried in the churchyard. A friend told me to read this book as the Major served with the Tyneside Irish for short time in France. The author has put together a poignant piece of social history and the information is a invaluable.

McCrae's Battalion: The Story of the 16th Royal Scots
McCrae's Battalion: The Story of the 16th Royal Scots
by Jack Alexander

5.0 out of 5 stars McCrae's Battalion: The Story of the 16th Royal Scots, 9 Jun. 2012
I have been carrying out research regarding an officer of the Royal Scots who won the Military Cross and stumbled across this book. From the minute I picked it up, I have been unable to put it down. For the author this book must have been a labour of love and I can understand why it took him so long to research then put it together. It is an extremely moving insight into the horrendous world that these men were suddenly thrown into. The books also provides a valuable historical source of information and a true insight into the bravery of the 'footballers who became soldiers' and were sent to France. Every time I read about a soldier, I moved to the photographs to try to see if there was an image so that I could visualise him in my mind whilst reading. My husband is waiting for me to finish the book so he can start reading it. A truly poignant piece of social history which should be available in schools and colleges as an academic tool. A worthy tribute to 16th Royal Scots. Thank you. [ASIN:1840189320 McCrae's Battalion: The Story of the 16th Royal Scots]

Memorials of the family of Wrightson
Memorials of the family of Wrightson
by William Garmonsway Wrightson

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing piece of social history, 17 Mar. 2012
Memorials of the Family of Wrightson

I run the Haughton-le-Skerne Local History Society in Darlington, County Durham and whilst researching the history of a house in the village came across this delightful book. 6 members of the Wrightson family lived in the house in question, 4 sisters and 2 brothers all unmarried. The book was written by a relative and provides a truly amazing insight into the era and time the family spent in Haughton. In fact the author has left a fascinating legacy not only for all of his descendants but also provides a wonderful piece of social history for others to read.