Profile for Sydney Bristow > Reviews

The Dark Knight Rises (DVD) [2012]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale
Offered by MusicnMedia

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of an anti-climax., 2 Mar. 2013
I've loved Chris Nolan's Batman films - my favourite is Batman Begins, but I think Dark Knight is probably the best film overall. Unfortunatly, not only is Dark Knight Rises the third film, its third in order of quality. I liked the ending & I liked the Robin character. I thought Anne Hathaway was great as Catwoman - sexy, kick-ass but with vulnerability. I also liked how the story connected to Ra's al Ghul from the first film. Yet somehow its strangely dis-satisfying. Firstly, its overlong, with scenes and sub-plots that really aren't necessary and ultimately make the film quite boring. But the main problem is the villain - its not that Tom Hardy's bad - he isnt - its just that the character himself has no menace or subtely. I appreciate Heath Ledger's Joker was always going to be a hard act to follow, but making Bane nothing more than a contestant on a WWF bout lets the whole film down. And the final stand-off between him and Batman is such an anti-climax - in fact, Batman's pretty impotent throughout the whole film, which is such a shame. Its probably worth watching as a finale to the trilogy, but I don't think I'll be watching it over and over like I have the other two.

Growing Up in Public
Growing Up in Public
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Who'd've thought it!, 22 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Growing Up in Public (Audio CD)
I first brought this on tape when it was released in '92 (goodness was it that long ago?!?!) & loved it then. Just over 20 (gulp!) years later, it is even better & unlike me, hasn't aged a bit. Its just a wonderful, wonderful album - every track is spot on & either makes you want to get up and dance or lay back and let it wash over you. Nail's music is soulful and joyful. When I played it for my bf, he had that 'oh i'll suffer it' face on. At the end, he said 'oh this jimmy nail ain't too shabby at all' & if you knew my bf, you'd know that was high praise indeed, especially when he repeated it four times! In the words of my stuck-in-his ways, 'refuse-to-listen to anything that's not rock' boyfriend; 'who'd have thought it Oz - that Jimmy Nail bloke ain't half bad!'.

A Woman Unknown: Number 4 in series (Kate Shackleton Mysteries)
A Woman Unknown: Number 4 in series (Kate Shackleton Mysteries)

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably more 2.5 stars rating, 31 Dec. 2012
For me, this is the weakest of the Kate Shackleton mysteries. The writing is still intriguing & the characters enjoyable, but I felt there was too many plot threads, that weren't drawn together overly well and actually weakened the overall story. I also got fed up to the eyeballs with Kate's continual moaning about being kept out of the police investigation because of being a woman - then next minute they'd be asking her back in it. I understand what Brody was trying to get across but I felt the way it was done was overkill - like being hit over the head with a cloche full of cement! Also, the ending is odd - after the 'mystery' is solved, additional stuff relating to Kate's past & husband is tacked on the end. Although this has been a theme throughout the other books, its barely mentioned in this one until the end when its added on, almost like an afterthought, which was jarring & confusing. It might have been better if one of the plot threads had related to this ending and been brought to fruition in that way. I can't give it two stars because I didn't dislike it, but I thought it was slightly less than ok, so if I could I would give it 2.5 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2014 10:21 PM BST

Murder In The Afternoon: Number 3 in series (Kate Shackleton Mysteries)
Murder In The Afternoon: Number 3 in series (Kate Shackleton Mysteries)

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeping up the standard, 31 Dec. 2012
Very good third installment of the Kate Shackleton series and it keeps up the improved standard set in the previous novel, Medal for Murder. The plot is tight, the characters nicely drawn and the story draws you in. I was a bit perplexed about her sister's reticence to disclose anything to Kate, but I did like the children's characters very much. Finding out more about Kate's past was a good focus of the story and although I thought the ending a bit convoluted, overall the novel is very entertaining and a good read.

A Medal For Murder: Number 2 in series (Kate Shackleton Mysteries)
A Medal For Murder: Number 2 in series (Kate Shackleton Mysteries)

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first one, 31 Dec. 2012
I think this is my favourite of the Kate Shackleton mysteries. The mixing of tenses the author used in the first book has gone. She still uses flashbacks to the past or to describe the predicament of other characters, but in this novel, it works well & the whole plot/writing is much tighter and more structured. The characters are very good and the plot twisty and surprising, which definitely holds the attention. A very satisfying and enjoyable read.

Dying In The Wool: Number 1 in series (Kate Shackleton Mysteries)
Dying In The Wool: Number 1 in series (Kate Shackleton Mysteries)

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably enjoyable, 31 Dec. 2012
Overall a fairly entertaining jolly wheeze of a story. But the author's constant mixing of tenses within a sentence, especially to describe people, drove me absolutely nuts, that along with the constant too-ing & froo-ing between the present story-line & the past of various different characters. I assumed it was deliberate & perhaps done to show off a literary prowess, but it spoilt the whole reading experience for me. But I kept at it and in the end, found it a reasonably enjoyable read that did hold my attention.

Digital Fortress
Digital Fortress
by Dan Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars What a load of tosh., 6 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Digital Fortress (Paperback)
I cannot believe I wasted a whole day of my life reading this drivel (the only reason I did because I'd run out of books on holiday and borrowed this one). I should have known better than to read on when I realised in the the first few pages that the idea had been lifted from the 1990's film Sneakers, even quoting a line from the film ('no more secrets'), without even so much as a nod to it! Then when the perfect woman meets the perfect man, I was torn between putting it down or throwing up in the nearest bin! Perfect woman (who every man is in love with of course) has an IQ of 170, is the worlds leading genius in the code-breaking field, yet somehow manages to do absolutely nothing at all (apart from get in the way)& is the most gullible, naive & useless article I've ever read about. She 'teaches' her perfect boyfriend basic code-breaking & he turns out to be better at it than she is! Perfect boyfriend, who is a mere language genius, then turns out to be stupid enough to accept an undercover mission without so much as a slight raised eyebrow & turns into James Bond, engaging in every chase/pursuit cliche in history! Added to which, the 'twists' in the tail were more like 'written in letters six feet high obvious' and the 'cliff-hanger' ending was as long as a bank holiday weekend and just as predictable. People say his later books get better - well, here's another thing that's predictable - they sure as hell can't get any worse!

Daisy Dalrymple Omnibus (Books 1-4)
Daisy Dalrymple Omnibus (Books 1-4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Flapping great!, 11 Nov. 2012
I just love Daisy Dalrymple. Of course its light, easy reading but there's nothing wrong with that. I find Carola Dunn's character the nearest thing to a young Miss Marple I've read and hugely entertaining. Daisy's a great character, as is the detective Alex and his associate Sergeant and Constable. The description of the 1920's period is fab, the characters are enjoyable, the neat plots more than satisfactory. These four stories are each very good and the whole set is a great intro to the Right Hon. Miss Dalrymple. The only downside is, I can't stop reading them & end up buying more & more.

The Daughters of Gentlemen: A Frances Doughty Mystery (The Frances Doughty Mysteries Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't think it could get any better but..., 11 Nov. 2012
After loving 'Poisonous Seed', I just had to plough headlong into the next Frances Doughty mystery, which was equally as good and didn't disappoint on any level. All the qualities from the previous book are here - wonderful sense of period, great characters, a lovely sympathetic but strong main protagonist and twisty plots. This story however, has even more twists, turns, sub-plots and intrigue. I must admit I've never read a novel with quite so many strands going on at one time (even more than Agatha Christie - & that's saying something!). At one point, I was quite dizzy with it all - thank goodness I was lying down whilst reading it! But fairplay to the author, she keeps them all the plates spinning in the air beautifully and brings them all to a wonderful resolution. Cannot wait for the next in the series!

The Poisonous Seed: A Frances Doughty Mystery (The Frances Doughty Mysteries)
The Poisonous Seed: A Frances Doughty Mystery (The Frances Doughty Mysteries)

5.0 out of 5 stars Grabs hold of you and doesn't let go, 11 Nov. 2012
Brilliant book. I believe the author wrote non-fiction historical books before turning her deft hand to novel writing & it certainly shows. That being said, a good writer of non-fiction doesn't automatically make a great writer of fiction (as you need more than an accurate back-drop) - but it does here. The book starts off quite slowly, yet it pulls you in and keeps you reading. Frances is a lovely character, that you like from the beginning. Other characters are well drawn and clearly defined, with some moments of real sadness and humor. The plot is twisty and keeps you guessing all the way to the end, although its a detective style novel based on insight and deduction, rather than endless bodies & procedural detail. Personally I prefer the former and just loved and enjoyed the book for its excellent writing, storytelling and amazing sense of period.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4