Profile for Sam > Reviews

Content by Sam

Sam

Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 32 GB - Includes Special Offers [Previous Generation]

5.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly a Nexus or an iPad Mini :o(, 11 Nov. 2012
I was primarily looking for a tablet to use in conjunction with my iPhone 5 - mainly for the increased screen size for watching catchup tv and films. I was only interested in 32GB tablets or above as I am also an avid user of the Kindle for e-reading. I have had the Keypad 3G Wifi version practically since it's release - going on 3 years now - and I wanted to transfer my extensive iPhone music collection from my PC to the Kindle Fire HD so that I could listen to music and read at the same time. I researched the Kindle Fire HD extensively prior to making the decision to pre-order it. I had dismissed the iPad and the soon to be released iPad Mini as I was not prepared to pay the prices, and so I looked indepth at the comparative Nexus and Blackberry tablets. It appeared that the Kindle Fire HD 32GB had virtually the equivalent or better specification to the Nexus 32GB, but at £199, it was same price as the Nexus 16GB model. In the main I am pleased with the Kindle, however, there are various issues to bear in mind when making your decision to buy it that I was totally unaware of prior to it's delivery, and to be honest, with hindsight I would have purchased the equivalent Nexus, irrespective of the higher price. Firstly, the camera does not work at all until you have installed Skype - not a problem in the first instance, however, if you wish to use the Kindle as a camera without going through Skype you have to install an app that you pay for - HD Camera (Kindle Tablet Edition) - it's only £1.25, and it unlocks the hidden camera app - but really - shouldn't that sort of thing be pre-installed - there would be an uproar if Apple didn't include the necessaries on the iPhones or iPads!!! However, as I always have my iPhone with me if I need an impromptu camera, more importantly, as far as my intended usage of a tablet is concerned, you cannot download Adobe Flash Player!!! You don't realise what the implications of that are until you don't have it!!! The only TV app that works is BBC iPlayer. They have not yet got apps for ITV Player, 4oD, Demand 5, Sky Player, Sky Go, Sky + or TVCatchup. Even though this is recognised as an Android Device for the majority of apps, it can't access the full Android App Store, and it can't access Google Play, and so you can't download Google Chrome which comes with Flash Player, so you can't get around the Flash Player issue that way. I would like to point out that Apple doesn't have Flash Player either, but it has supplied the popular apps to get around them not wanting to support it's use!!!! For what you can access on the Kindle Fire HD, the graphics are superb, transferring pictures and music is a doddle, it is soooooo similar to Apple devices that I am more than happy with how it actually works, but I am not a happy bunny with it's shortcomings. I know that apps etc will probably become available in time, but I can only hope against hope that they do so quickly!!!!

Well I thought I would amend my review from 3 star to 5 star - I have successfully rooted my Kindle HD Fire, and have put Adobe Flash Player and ITV Player together with the full Google Play Store - there aren't any google apps yet for Sky Go, 4OD, Demand 5 or TVCatchup, but by using Dolphin (Flash Player compatible once Flash Player is installed) you can bookmark them all from the respective web sites and they work a treat!!!! With a bit of persistence and know-how my Kindle now works as I anticipated it to do for a lot less money than the compatible Nexus 7 and Blackberry models. I am now a VERY HAPPY bunny!!!!
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2013 6:49 PM BST

Belkin In Car Tunecast Auto Live FM Transmitter Charge and Play for iPhone 4 and 4s
Offered by HomeandGarden

5.0 out of 5 stars TuneCast, 18 Jan. 2012
The main reason for choosing this product is that the audio system in my Peugeot 207 doesn't have an auxiliary input, and I prefer to use the much bigger choice of music on my iPhone 4S to CD's through the car speakers. I have tried other cheaper versions of FM Transmitters, but after carefully looking at reviews for many products I decided to pay a bit more than I have in the past and get this one. I have to say, it is brilliant and really easy to use. It works a treat with my combination of car and iPhone and the sound quality is very good. When you download the free app it means that you can control the device with your iPhone to scan for suitable 'free' frequencies and it can then use the iPhone GPS system to make better choices for you. The bonus is that as my car audio system has RDS the names of the artist and track scroll across my car's on board computer display so it really does feel like you are listening to a CD or the radio. There is also a PRO Setting button which allows you to change the the average volume of the sound from the iPhone to the stereo dependant on the type of music or audio books etc.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2014 10:44 AM GMT

Epson Stylus PX830FWD All-In-One Printer with High Speed Wifi and Double Side Printing and Fax (Print, Copy, Scan and Screen)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 7 Jan. 2012
Ordered on 29 Dec, Delivered Sat 31 Jan - can't ask for better service and totally trackable order - a Saturday of all things for delivery!!! Easy set up for the printer - you literally follow the easy set-up instructions and as long as you know your wi-fi network key there is no problem (I know mine by heart but that is another issue!!!) - I have tried every function so far for the printer and it is so far so good. My niece has done god knows how many Baby Shower invites and paperwork in the short time I have had the printer and it is excellent!!!

Garmin Universal Friction Mount for 700/600/300/200 series
Garmin Universal Friction Mount for 700/600/300/200 series
Offered by cadabra

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - does what it says on the tin!!!!, 20 July 2010
I have a Peugeot 207 and have never been able to put my Sat Nav (nuvi 300) on the windscreen properly as it is so sloped. I hummed and haad over the price, but finally after talking to family members that had bought similar products, I ordered this mat on Sunday evening and it came today (Tuesday). I've already tried it out, and it sits neatly on the shelf in front of my car computer display. It's quite heavy, but much smaller dimension wise than I expected, and there is absolutely no way either the mat or my sat nav are going anywhere, and it stores very neatly in either my glove box or in the door pockets. Most of its stability comes from the metal balls that make up the mat, and the fact that they supply you with a new stand that locks really well into the permanent housing in the centre of the mat. It would be interesting to know whether it would allow you to substitute the stand of another make of sat nav into the mat.