Profile for Novice > Reviews

Cycling Back to Happiness: Adventure on the North Sea Cycle Route
Cycling Back to Happiness: Adventure on the North Sea Cycle Route
by Bernie Friend

5.0 out of 5 stars Never mind the Spandex..., 4 Feb. 2010
I'm not a fanatical cyclist by any means, but I have come round to the idea of ditching the steering wheel for handlebars more and more, egged on by much keener friends, and fancied dabbling in a travel story powered by two-wheels.
A colleague of mine who is a much more serious wheel-turner pointed me in the direction of this book and I have to say it was good advice, especially for the trainee biker.
There is a lot of difficult scene setting over the first 30 odd pages, punctuated with self-deprecating laughs, but once that is all out the way a very fluid journey unfolds.
I couldn't believe just how many very differing places and landscapes were so close at hand. The book has certainly inspired me to persevere with the pedalling and maybe even take on a cycling adventure of my own.
The best thing of all for me is that the writer is just a plain guy, who lives a normal life, and just wanted to do something different, special even, but within his own personal limitations.
The fact he undertook thousands of kms on a bike as a complete novice, without months of gruelling (and impossible) training regimes makes it all so more achieveable for all of us. Never mind the Spandex... Anyone can do it!!!