Profile for Derek Johnstone > Reviews

Content by Derek Johnstone

Derek Johnstone "Mr Jinkles" (The Kingdom of Fife)

Post Office
Post Office
by Charles Bukowski

5.0 out of 5 stars Ever Had A Dead End Job?, 15 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Post Office (Paperback)
This book was something of a revelation for me. I had never read a book before that wasn't something more than what I had been living. For years I had had a dead end job that I took during college and ended up stuck in. I had started to drink and life seemed to be more a blur of dark nights and darker days. Reading Post Office, I couldn't help but draw parallels with my own sad life. I loved this book.

Peepshow: A Cartoon Diary of Joe Matt
Peepshow: A Cartoon Diary of Joe Matt
by Joe Matt

5.0 out of 5 stars Joe Matt-Legend, 20 Feb. 2010
The honesty in this book is cringeworthy.
I loved it.
I originally came across Spent (schnarff) and rushed to find this book as fast as I could. Some of the things Joe writes about may have people judging him unfairly, but who doesn't have issues? His simple black and white art style suits his frugal life perfectly. I see a whole lot of myself in Joe Matt's writing and can't recommend him enough to friends.
Read this book.
Read as much Joe Matt as possible.

Drood
Drood
by Dan Simmons

3.0 out of 5 stars It's another long Dan Simmons book, 20 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Drood (Paperback)
Olympos and Illium were long. A little too long for me, but once you get into them the pages fly by. Not here. You think that soon, you'll be well into the story and it won't all be trains to and from here and there, to and from Charles Dickens...blah blah blah. Sure the historical facts are a little interesting and a lot of effort has obviously gone in to researching the material, but I know nothing about Charles Dickens and therefore would have been happy with a period book with fictional characters. 200+ pages lost easy cutting out Dickens. The story is good and you will like the way the period is written. Just too much repetition of train journeys, drug addiction and plays. Good, but I was expecting more.