Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now
Profile for prisrob > Reviews

Content by prisrob
Top Reviewer Ranking: 31

prisrob "pris," (New England USA)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Nocturnal Animals (DVD + Digital Download) [2016]
Nocturnal Animals (DVD + Digital Download) [2016]
Dvd ~ Amy Adams

4.0 out of 5 stars Revenge Is Not Sweet, 26 Feb. 2017
Nocturnal Animals is a film that needs to be discussed. There are so many variables that after watching the film, I had so many questions. What was the essential flavor of this film? It certainly is shocking at times, no humor, tense and surprising.

Amy Adams in another powerful role plays Susan Morrow, a successful art gallery owner. She is avant garde as we establish from the opening credits. Her husband, played by Armie Hammer, is a less successful something or other. He is cheating on her, and they both know it. Out of the blue she receives a book her ex-husband, played by Jake Gyllenhaal.

This is a book that is raw and revealing, and as Susan reads it, she lives the book, and we go along. This is a traumatic storyline filled with loss and death. The film interweaves the story of the book with present day Susan, and the past tense Susan. At first this was confusing, but once I understood the plot, it moved along well. Tom Ford, the director, has been known from his previous film, to be less than direct in his story telling. I am not sure I fully uunderstand his message, but think a middle finger pointing up might be part of it. This was a film that is compelling, but not compelling enough. I hope you will understand once you see this film.

Recommended. prisrob 02-25-17

Manchester By The Sea [DVD]
Manchester By The Sea [DVD]
Dvd ~ Casey Affleck

5.0 out of 5 stars The Big Chill, 25 Feb. 2017
This review is from: Manchester By The Sea [DVD] (DVD)
Watching this film brought an old song to me, one my mother would sing, 'It's still the same old story, the fight for love and glory, a case of do or die" 'As Time Goes By'. This film is such a thought provoking piece, filled with superb performances. Casey Affleck leads with his Oscar nomination. And Lucas Hedges with his supporting role.

Casey plays Lee,a depressed man, who is filled with self hate from a terrible trauma he and his family went through. He exists as a janitor in Quincy, Ma, a low paying job, and his only refuge is alcohol. His dear brother has died suddenly and left him with his nephew, Patrick, a high school student. Lee has no will to supervise Patrick, but it is what his brother wanted. This begins the fight for love. Emotions are diffucult for Lee, but Patrick can talk about anything, and he does. He talks about two girlfriends, he plays in a band, he plays hockey and basketball, he dies not want to leave his town, Manchester By The Sea, a small town in Mass. People come and go in Patrick's life, and any stability he had is gone. However, Patrick seems to be the grownup in this film. Lucas Hedges as Patrick is terrific in this film, a 20'year old with a Best Supporting Actor Nomination.

This is not a sad film all the time, bits of laughter and fun. The dialogue is terrific, and we can all identify with the characters in some manner. A superb film anyway you look at it. This is a film you will want to talk about with friends, family or colleagues. This film takes place in winter, and we can feel the cold in our bones, The Big Chill.

Recommended. prisrob 02-24-17

Beautiful People - Series 1 [DVD]
Beautiful People - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Luke Ward-Wilkinson
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky But Real, 23 Feb. 2017
This is a quirky film, hilarious at some points, very sad at others, but give it a go. The film centers on several families in London, and how their lives intwine with the Bosnian War. It also encompasses a huge soccer match, drugs and rock and roll.

One family has a marriage coming apart along with a refugee from the Bosnian War who does not want her baby. Another family with a n'er do well son who is caught up in drugs. On his way to the Netherlands, he is involved in a very strange occurrence. Another family has as the male breadwinner a war correspondent, who seems to have developed PTSD, on his return from Bosnia.

This film starts out slowly, but stick with it. It gathers momentum quickly , and you will enjoy it. Lots of laughs, and then a strange settling of personalities.

Moonlight [DVD] [2017]
Moonlight [DVD] [2017]

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Boy Blue, 23 Feb. 2017
This review is from: Moonlight [DVD] [2017] (DVD)
Little, Chiron and Black, the three phases in the life of a man. This is a film like no other. We follow this young boy to a teenager and then young man. The film moves effortlessly through this life.

As a young boy, Little, has not much of a home life, a mother hooked on drugs, and the man who becomes a father like figure, Juan, played brilliantly by Mahershala Ali, is a local drug dealer. Juan finds Little at a drug spot, and he takes Little out to eat, brings him back to his
place, where he meets his partner Teresa, played by Janelle Monae, and from then on this is Little's second family.

Chiron, as a teenager faces the difficulties in life most young black men are subjected to. Alone, most of the time, finding his way, with one good friend Kevin.

Black, the grown man, still finding his way, and a coming of age film that will stop you in your tracks. The last scene so significant and startling, that the audience remains silent and not moving. A remarkable film that must be seen, a treasure. Mahershala Ali has been nominated for his supporting role for an Academy Award, he deserves this award.

Recommended. prisrob 02-23-17

EOS Visibly Soft Lips Organic Lip Balm - Blackberry Nectar, Vanilla Mint, Coconut Milk - Pack of 3
Offered by Adams Beauty

5.0 out of 5 stars Softens, Hydrates, Nourishes, 23 Feb. 2017
EOS lip balms have been designated as one of the best lip balms, and that is why I purchased it. Because of its shape it is more "ergonomic" to apply. This goes on smoothly as I applied it. The product is smooth once applied (not gritty), and lasts on my lips for a couple hours. I also like that it is certified organic. I purchased two Visibly soft flavors, one is Vanilla Mint in a blue and white striped ball, and the other coconut milk in a pink and white striped egg.

This has become my favorite lip balm, because it does the best moisturizing of any lip balm. The ingredients are all natural, and EOS does not add lip-drying ingredients like alcohol.This is my go-to lip balm, and it keeps my lips moisturized. This lip balm softens, hydrates and nourishes my lips.

Barbie #1: Fashion Superstar
Barbie #1: Fashion Superstar

4.0 out of 5 stars Lessons Learned, 23 Feb. 2017
My seven year old granddaughter and I read this book together. Barbie sometimes gets a bad rap, but my daughters and now my granddaughters love Barbie. She is wholesome with all the difficulties and problems every young girl may have. Mist if the stories have a lesson to be learned, and that is important for young readers.

In this book, Barbie is an assistant to a high powered fashion designer, Ms Yang. Barbie wants to make a good impression, and she is trying to find her way and what talent she may have to offer. She,reuse many avenues, until a friend gives her some good advice. When you read this book, you will discover the advice, and how Barbie comes to the assistance of Ms. Yang.

A story well written for young girls. The illustrations are bright and vivid, and grab your attention. And best if all the lesson learned in this story, is something that every young girl can learn. The writing is geared for children, the stories are relatable.

Recommended. prisrob 02-22-17

Art Naturals Eucalyptus Essential Oil 4.0 oz 3pc Set - Includes Our Aromatherapy Signature Zen & Chi Blends 10ml Each Therapeutic Grade 100% Pure & Natural
Offered by Art Naturals UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Soothing Scent, 22 Feb. 2017
Eucalyptus is one of my favorite scents, fresh, cool, and clean. Both my daughter and I use a lot of eucalyptus in our our cleaning. There are no artificial scents or oils in our cleaning products. I often use a scented oil mixed with white vinegar with my cleaning products. This eucalyptus oil has a rich scent when mixed with white vinegear.

I used this scent mixed with white vinegar after I cleaned my garbage can, and I now have a nice light scent in the bathroom. I used the same mix cleaning my bathroom counter and the outside of the tub. This is not an overwhelmng scent of eucalyptus but a very light scent. I have a new diffuser, and I placed 2-3 drops with water. What a wonderful scent and aroma, soothing and fresh. I am quite happy with this natural eucalyptus oil. The eye dropper is made of glass, as is the bottle of natural oil. Very pleased with this product.

Recommended. prisrob 02-20-17

McCann's Irish Oatmeal, Steel Cut Oat Meal, 28 oz (793 g) (1 unit)
McCann's Irish Oatmeal, Steel Cut Oat Meal, 28 oz (793 g) (1 unit)
Offered by STRATTON UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Nutty Taste, Great Flavor, 22 Feb. 2017
NGREDIENTS

4 cups water
1 cup steel cut oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
DIRECTIONS
Oatmeal and in particular steel cut oatmeal is my favorite breakfast food. I have it every morning, and it is easy to put together the night before, and it will be ready for you in the morning. Oatmeal us recommended by cardiologists and other physician's. I tried it when I read about it in the New York Times.

This is not the Instant, do not eat the instant. McCann's has a lot of texture and flavor. It is nutty and sort of crunchy. I've been making it nearly every evening, ready for the morning.

Thus is the recipe I use, and I enjoy it with blueberries and milk.

Bring the water to a boil in a medium or large saucepan (big enough to accommodate about 4 cups of cooked oatmeal with a bit of room to spare).
When it reaches a rolling boil, stir in the oats and salt. Boil for one minute (watching closely so it doesn't boil over).
Remove from the heat and stir. Cover the pot and let it sit overnight, 8-12 hours.
In the morning before serving, stir the oatmeal to recombine the oats with any residual liquid and heat over medium for 1-2 minutes until the oatmeal is heated through.
Serve with your favorite oatmeal toppings! We love bananas, craisins, agave nectar or a bit of brown sugar, blueberries, and lots of other fruits.

Recommended. prisrob 02-21-17

Lavender Oil - Premium Quality Bulgarian 4 Oz 100% Natural & Pure Lavender Essential Oil (Lavandula Angustifolia) - Therapeutic Grade - Perfect Aromatherapy Essential Oil, Helps Relief From Stress and Anxiety, Great Massage Oil - Refreshing and Deep Sweet Aroma - Helps with Aches and Pains - Moisturizes and Promotes Healthy Skin - Natural Insect Repellent - Much More Effective Than Non Pure Lavender Oil
Offered by Epic Business Services

5.0 out of 5 stars Soothing Lavender, 20 Feb. 2017
Lavender is one of my favorite scents, fresh, cool, and clean. Both my daughter and I use a lot of lavender in our our cleaning. There are no artificial scents or oils in our cleaning products. I often use a scented oil mixed with white vinegar with my cleaning products. This lavender oil has a rich scent when mixed with white vinegear.

I used thus scent mixed with white vinegar after I cleaned my garbage can, and I now have a nice light scent in the bathroom. I used the same mix cleaning my bathroom counter and the outside of the tub. This is not an overwhelmng scent of lavender but a very light scent. I have a new diffuser, and I placed 2-3 drops with water. What a wonderful scent and aroma, soothing and fresh. I am quite happy with this natural lavender oil. The eye dropper is made of glass, as is the bottle of natural oil. Very pleased with this product.

Recommended. prisrob 02-20-17

Special Offer Luxury Ultra Sharp Julienne Peeler, Courgette, Vegetable Grater And Slicer
Offered by MadBuy

5.0 out of 5 stars Peeling With Proficiency, 20 Feb. 2017
Vegetable peelers used to be a dime a dozen. Remember those one blade long peelers, then onto different shapes and sized peelers. They all worked well, but took some effort. Peeling 5 pounds of potatoes at Thanksgiving became a chore, but not any longer.

This is the best peeler I have used. Stainless steel, blades very sharp, and peeling carrots and pitatoes for stew took very little time. I am impressed. This comes with a nice little brush thatvassists in removing all the bits and pieces of food left in the peeler. Now to teach my grandchildren about the wonders of vegetable peelers!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20