Profile for prisrob > Reviews

Content by prisrob
Top Reviewer Ranking: 21

prisrob "pris," (New England USA)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Jackery Bar Premium Fast-Charging Aluminum Portable Charger 6000mAh External Battery Pack Power Bank for Apple iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, iPad, Air, Mini, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Note, Nexus, LG, HTC. Portable Battery Charger, External Charger, USB Battery Pack, Rechargeable Battery Backup, Power Bank, Mobile Charger (Gold)
Offered by Jackery UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Portable and Instant, 5 Mar. 2015
Portable chargers are very prevalent now, and finding one that fits your needs can be easy. However, instead of perusing the many portable chargers available, I like to ask my tech friends for their recommendations. I wanted a portable charger that I could easily take with me on long trips or just around town on errands. I often find myself waiting for an appointment and using my phone or tablet, and the battery wears down. A good friend recommended Jackery.

This is a very thin external battery charger. It fits into my bag easily, or you could carry it in your pocket. It comes in several colors, I have the gold. A micro USB cable is provided. When you attach the charger, there is a 4 color LED indicator, you must turn on the button to start the charging. The blinking LED lights will alert you to the amount of charge left, 4 lights is 80-100%, and on down. When there is one light, you will know it is time to charge the charger. I use mine most often for my iPhone and occasionally my iPad.

I can get about 8 hours on my iPhone from a charge using the Jackery. I leave the Jackery in my bag unless I am charging the product. It has been a life saver. I no longer have to worry about losing battery charge and trying to find an outlet at the airport.

The price point is quite reasonable, the portability is perfect, and the ability to recharge instantly is one of the best reasons for purchase.

Recommended. prisrob 03-05-15

Mary Berry Cooks
Mary Berry Cooks
by Mary Berry

4.0 out of 5 stars Mary Berry Cooks, 5 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Mary Berry Cooks (Hardcover)
The Great English Baking Show' on PBS, was such a fun show to watch. My family loved all of the contestants and in particular, the Judges, Mary and Paul. We were entranced with the baking, and since I collect cookbooks, I looked for a cookbook authored by Mary Berry.

This cookbook came out in 2014, and Mary tells us a little about her life in the opening chapter. She talks about the foods she likes to cook and bake, with a synopsis of what the cookbook entails. There are 320 pages and the cookbook, itself is very well edited. Each chapter has several photos of the foods covered. I was disappointed that each food recipe did not have it's own photo. Mary gives us an idea of what she feels should be in every pantry. She discusses herbs, spices, vinegars, the types of sugars, pastas, mustards in her home. What you can freeze, and the opportunity to freeze meals. Menu planning and how much to cook covers several pages.

Nine chapters follow, covering Canapés, Starters, Family Favorites, Spectacular Suppers, A Classic Roast, Vegetables and Salads, Cold Desserts, Hot Puddings, and Afternoon Tea. She finishes with a Conversion Table, which would have been better served for me placed in the beginning.

All of the recipes are written in the metric version, and the English standards. Oven temps are in Celcius, recipe ingredients are in grams and millimeters. It is a shame the U.S. has not converted to the Metric system as the rest of the world. The other issue for some would be the types of foods used in the UK. They eat a lot of lamb, venison, potted shrimp, minced meat and other various and sundry foods. However, most of the ingredients can be found. Another disappointment was the lack of baked desserts. I would have liked to see more sponge cakes, breads and other pastries as seen in the English Baking Show.

All in all, I found this cook book to be fascinating and one I will use. It is, indeed, a lovely cookbook, and one I will cherish.

Recommended. prisrob 03-05-15

Addao Rechargeable Double-Sided Hand Warmer and 3000mAh Power Bank/External Battery Pack Charger For Most Cell Phones and Mobile Devices Like iPhone 6/5c/5s/5/4s/4 Galaxy S5/S4/S3 (White)
Offered by CommulandInt

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive Hand Warmer/ Battery Charger, 4 Mar. 2015
In the tundra of the Northeast this winter, a hand warmer is a good thing. And, to have that hand warmer also as a phone charger, is indeed a good thing.

ThecAddao Rechargeable Double Sided Hand Warmer looks like a luscious macaroon. It comes in pink, blue and white. But don't be fooled, you cannot eat it. It is attractive, small enough, 69 mm, so that you can carry in your purse or pocket. Pro initiate the handwarming, blow into the open slot.mitvwill warm your hand for five minutes. There is a ceramic heating component. When your phone battery is dwindling, plug it into the Addao. A small USB port is available, and a USB cord comes with the Addao. This is an attractive hand warmer/battery charger for a nominal price.

Recommended.mprisrob 03-04-15

Parrot Flower Power Wireless Plant Monitor - Green
Parrot Flower Power Wireless Plant Monitor - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Talk To Your Plants, 4 Mar. 2015
Flower Power - Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Bluetooth Smart Plant Sensor with Free dedicated App - Green (Electronics)
What a great invention is the Parrot Flower Power. It is slightly expensive, but can be used with all of your plants at different times. For anyone who thinks they do not have a green thumb, this is the product for them.

I have an Oxalis plant, a maroon, four leaf clover type if plant, that I just love. It is beautiful and grows quite well. The leaves will fold up at night or if it is stressed. It needs enough water to keep it moist, but not too wet. I keep it on a table near a large window. It gets shaded sun, which is what I think it needs. I put it on my deck one summer and it shriveled, so that must have been too hot. The plant is doing well, but I have not been able to get it to grow flowers. With the help of the Parrot Flower Power, I hope at flowering time to have success.

Insert the Parrot Flower Power into your plant. I downloaded the Flower Power App on my Smartphone. The application then connected to my Flower Power to the Parrot Cloud Wi-Fi, where the data is analyzed. After the data is analyzed, I received an alert that told me I needed more water, and light.

When you are near your Flower Power, you can use Live mode to check the light intensity, ambient temperature, and soil humidity. Every 15 minutes Flower Power measures four data sources and stores the data in its memory. Every two hours Flower Power sends data to your Smartphone via Bluetooth Low Energy. If you are not within Bluetooth range, it keeps the data in its memory until you are back within range (data kept for up to 80 days). Alerts are sent to your Smartphone each time one of your plants needs attention. There is no need to be near your Flower Power to get the notifications. A Parrot Flower Power can monitor several plants in the same pot, in a planter or on a small plot of land if the conditions of watering, soil drainage, and exposure to the sun and wind are uniform.Using the application, you can select your plants from the database in the Parrot Cloud, which has been developed by botanists. More than 6,000 varieties are listed and custom advice is given on maintaining each plant.

I was not keeping the Oxalis moist enough, the nutrient level is OK, and I needed to move it to a sunnier location. I have a Fig tree which is losing some of it's leaves, I will use the Parrot Flower Power on this one. I am quite excited about this monitor. I like gardening and have a few house plants that I have had for a long time. I want to keep them healthy.

Recommended. prisrob 03-04-15

Heritage Bundt Pan - Nordic Ware Platinum Collection - for Bundt cakes, jelly, savoury
Offered by davaria™

5.0 out of 5 stars Bundling Along, 4 Mar. 2015
Bundt Cakes are so delicious, and they feed a lot of people. This is a 12 cup Bundt cake pan, made by Nordic Ware, and I knew it would be a good one. My old Bundt cake pan finally had it's day, and even though I don't make Bundt cakes often, I want one on hand. I had a pot luck supper to attend, and there were going to be 15 people. I thought this size cake would be just right, and it was.

This Bundt cake pan has a finish so that the cake will come out of the pan easily. Even a 12 cup cake, came sliding out very easily. I hand wash this pan and place it in my cupboard after drying it carefully. This pan will last a lifetime. This is sturdy and quite attractive. I am very pleased with it.

I am including the recipe for a Chocolate Bundt Cake that I made. The recipe is by Sara Carey from Martha Stewart.

Chocolate Bundt Cake

1 cup heavy cream
8 ounces chopped semi sweet chocolate
Pinch of salt
DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 12-cup nonstick bundt pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk boiling water into cocoa powder until smooth; whisk in sour cream. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Then beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with 2 additions of cocoa mixture and beat until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake until tops springs back when lightly touched, 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack set over a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Let cool 15 minutes, then turn our onto rack and let cool completely.
Bring cream to a boil in a medium pot. Add chocolate and let stand 5 minutes. Add salt and stir until smooth. Let stand 10 minutes, then pour over cake allowing the glaze to drip down sides and cover cake. Let set 3 hours at room temperature or 1 hour in refrigerator.
COOK'S NOTE
On Martha Bakes, after spraying the pan with nonstick cooking spray Martha dusted it with cocoa. And in place of the glaze, Martha dusted the finished cake with confectioner's sugar.

Precommended. prisrob 03-03-15

Childrens Book:Derek the Dragon and princess Dayna (Illustrated Picture Book for ages 2-6,funny bedtime story kids collection)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Flying Dragon, 2 Mar. 2015
Are you ever afraid of someone you do not know? What do you do when you are afraid?

The author of this book, Leela Hope, has written a fun and entertaining book about Derek the Dragon, Devin the mouse, and Dayna the princess. Derek the dragon is a very big fella. He likes to fly in the sky with tiny Devin sitting on his back. As they flew over the countryside they frightened the people who looked up and saw this big dragon flying in the sky. Derek was a very peaceful dragon, and he would not hurt anyone. However, the people did not know this, they told the princess about Derek and asked her to do something about him. When you read this book you will find out what happened between, Derek, Devin, the princess and the people.

Parents/teachers will certainly enjoy reading this book to their children. The children will enjoy hearing about a friendly dragon and his exploits. The illustrations by Leela Hope are bright and beautiful, depicting the adventures of Derek, Devin and Dayna. One of the best parts of this book is that it is told in rhyme. Rhyme verse is one of the most pleasant to read and to hear. There is a lesson learned in this book, and this is important for all children. Note: a complimentary copy of this book was provided to read and review.

Recommended. prisrob 03-02-15

Dorothy Parker Drank Here
Dorothy Parker Drank Here
by Ellen Meister

4.0 out of 5 stars Wherever She Went, Including Here, It Was Against Her Better Judgment, 2 Mar. 2015
"That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment." Dorothy Parker

Dorothy Parker was one of those iconic characters found at the Rountable at the Algonquinin the 1920's, in New York City. Her witticisms and quotes are used often, and for those of us, who value her writing and her life, it is impossible not to want to know more. The author, Ellen Meister, has written the second book about Dorothy Parker, imparting the real woman. This was a joy to read.

For those of us who have read about the Rountable that took place in the 1920's , the Algonpquin Hotel is the place to begin. The Oakroom with the big round table, the Blue Room, the small guest rooms, the narrow staircase, we have seen the rooms that Dorothy Parker haunted and continues to haunt. It is at the Algonquin where we meet Dorothy again.

At the Blue Bar Dorothy is drinking and looking for someone with a cigarette. Dorothy signed the magical guest registry, and her spirit is now relegated to spending her time drinking and smoking at the Algonguin. All of her other friends died and opted to join their friends and family in the hereafter. Dorothy is looking for someone to spend time. She has hovered and found that Ted Shriver, a literary genius is a guest at the hotel, and he is drinking as he is dying. He was disgraced after a plagiarism scandal with his last book. He would be the perfect spirit to spend her time. Alas, Mr Shriver refuses to sign anything. Dorothy discovers that a young television producer, Norah Wolfe, wants Mr Shriver to appear on her show to save himself and Norah's show. Dorothy and Norah join forces, but there are many complications.

Along the way, we are privy to scenes with Tallulah Bankhead, Groucho Marx, and Lillian Hellman, which are great fun and entertaining. Dorothy dishes about many and her opinions of some of the famous are laugh out loud. Dorothy Parker, was an American poet, short story writer, but she was best known for her witicisms that have now become quotes. This is the part of this novel that the author has emulated so well. The environment is set so that we are part of the group, talking, drinking and smoking. Dorothy Parker has her own voice in this setting. One chair at the Rountable will never be silent.

Recommended. prisrob 03-02-15

Olive Kitteridge [DVD] [2015]
Olive Kitteridge [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Frances McDormand

5.0 out of 5 stars There Is No Such Thing As A Simple Life, 1 Mar. 2015
Olive Kitteridge was a superb two episode mini series. A longer series would have been better, but this was so well done. Taking place in Maine, we see the beauty and the harshness, the tough times and the good ones.

I cannot see anyone but Frances McDormand in the title role, domineering, brittle, bitter, unforgiving to her family. However to others, she saved some of them. Richard Jenkins as her husband, the optimist, seeing good in all. Opposite attracts, and you could see they loved each other. Their son got the tough part, aloof mother who never had a kind word. Loved by his dad, but he left that house as soon as he could. What was it with O, ve that she could not show her love easily? We never really saw that.

Both Olive and her husband could have had other loves in their marriage. But, they never quite acted on it. Olive saves a young man, a former student, from suicide. She never quite says it, but we can see it happening. That was the one best scene from the show, that I can pick out. Most if the scenes were marvelous. Hiding her new daughter-in- law's earring from spite, and gutting some of her clothes. Having a huffy moment while visiting her son and his family, and him finally understanding he could never win. He calls a car to come and take her to the airport. These little moments were fabulous. And, finally finding Bill Murray's character, and pursuing him. What a surprise. Olive, be happy.

Recommended. prisrob 03-01-15

I Want a Cat: My Opinion Essay: Volume 2 (The Read and Write Series)
I Want a Cat: My Opinion Essay: Volume 2 (The Read and Write Series)
by Darcy Pattison

5.0 out of 5 stars Cats Come In All Sizes And Dispositions, 1 Mar. 2015
Do you have a cat? If not, what kind of cat would you like?

The author, Darcy Pattison, has written a wonderfully informative and entertaining book for children. Having a cat come into your home is a big responsibility, and cats are a lot of care. Mellie is the narrator, and along with her cousin Dennis, are thinking about and wishing for a cat. Mellie's teacher had some words of wisdom for her. It would be good to list the criteria that both Mellie and Dennis are looking for in a cat. And, her teacher asked her to write an essay about her criteria for a cat. Mellie listed all of the criteria she could think of. And, from my viewpoint, this was an excellent list. When you read this book, you will discover what Mellie's and Dennis's criteria were, and the big question, did they actually get a cat?

Parents/teachers will like reading this book to their children. Their children will like this book very much, and they will have a lot of questions. What does criteria mean, and why is it important to think about and list criteria. How many different kinds of cats are there, and where do you find this information? Involving your family in the decision of having a new cat come into your home is very important for everyone. The illustrations by Ewa O'Neill are vivid and colorful. These illustrations depict the thought and care Mellie and Dennis and their families take in choosing a new pet. This is an important kind of book for children to read because there are many lessons learned. This will be important for children to learn in many aspects of their lives. Note: a complimentary copy of this book was provided to read and review.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 03-01-15

The Nectar of Friendship
The Nectar of Friendship

5.0 out of 5 stars The Value Of Friends, 28 Feb. 2015
What would you do for a friend? How would you know when you have helped a friend?

The author, Gramps Doodlebug, has written a lovely story about friends. Cindy, a beautiful butterfly, was going on a trip. Her good friend, Susie had injured her wing, and she needed some assistance. Cindy filled a tube with some nectar to bring to her good friend. She prepared for her journey, and she started flying. She was halfway to Susie's when she realized she was tired and needed to rest. As she was resting along came a wasp asking for help. Something was caught in a spider's web, and she needed help freeing this creature. Cindy was on her way to help her friend, she did not have time to stop. What was she to do? When you read this book, you will discover the adventures of Cindy.

Parents/teachers will enjoy reading this book to their children. Children will have many questions about the wisdom of stopping to help someone, when you are already on your way to help someone else. The illustrations are beautiful, subtle and colorful. This is a wonderful book to read because it has a lesson learned in the story. It is important for children to learn while reading books. This is a subtle lesson, and it is very important. I enjoyed this story. Note: a complimentary copy of this book was provided to read and review.

Recommended. prisrob 02-28-15