Profile for Elise Ferguson > Reviews

Elise Ferguson (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Dusky Pink Crinoline Flower Hairband Fascinator
Dusky Pink Crinoline Flower Hairband Fascinator

3.0 out of 5 stars Came very quickly and a nice style for the price but it's bright pink not ..., 19 May 2015
Came very quickly and a nice style for the price but it's bright pink not dusky pink so was no use for the outfit I bought it for. Perils of Internet purchases I guess!

White Lines Privacy Window Film (Internal)
White Lines Privacy Window Film (Internal)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product but be careful when measuring, 5 Dec. 2014
This is overall a very useful product. It's easy to fit, removable, lets light in and provides good privacy in daylight without losing visibility to the outside, unlike the frosted film I put up initially. It also looks good. However be aware that it's not much use for privacy once it's dark outside with the lights on so it's more a complement to a blind than a substitute. Also I think the sizing is a bit confusing - I'd assumed from the picture that 152cm wide meant looking at the lines horizontally but actually they run vertically. So I bought 1m (for windows measuring in total 140cm wide by 90cm) and had to cut it to fit as it wasn't wide enough with the lines horizontal. I think they could explain this better in the description, I'd have probably just bought a bigger sheet if I'd realised to save the hassle of fitting it together. It doesn't show now it's fitted though

Pack of 10 cream brown stone effect Mosaic tile transfers stickers bathroom kitchen stick on tile peel and stick on wall tile size 6x6
Offered by LUCRATIVE PURSUIT

4.0 out of 5 stars They're easy to apply, 3 Dec. 2014
I wanted tile transfers to protect the wall up a spot in my kitchen which was susceptible to messy splashes and chose these particular ones because I thought the colours would match - they do, and I have to say they look very effective. They're easy to apply, can be cut to get around sockets, and though I can't say how easy they would be to remove after being up for a long time they are certainly re-positionable if you need to tweak the alignment. The only reason I gave them 4 stars rather than 5 is because to keep the 3x3 alternating design going you end up having to overlap them which always means you waste one corner of every transfer and involves a fair bit of trimming. If I'd been choosing again having thought of this I might have gone for one with and even number of sub-tiles. Still, they're cheap so a bit of waste isn't the end of the world, it's just a bit more hassle to fit them.

G-Paws GPS Data Recorder
G-Paws GPS Data Recorder
Offered by The Express Panda Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars The answer to every cat owner's question, 27 Jun. 2013
This review is from: G-Paws GPS Data Recorder (Misc.)
I bought this in the early release direct from g-paws rather than Amazon so have been using it for nearly 2 weeks. My 2 year old Bengal Leo is a bit of a wanderer, staying out for a day or two at a time in mild weather and we always wondered where he went. So now we know! The maximum distance we've tracked him travelling is about 10km over the course of the night and he's reached a top speed of 36kph. He spends hours trailing round a semi-derelict farm about half a mile away from our house and we've even discovered he crosses the nearby river near which is very shallow just now. It's been completely fascinating.

The device itself is easy to use - I've used the velcro strap on the blue holder to attach it to a basic cat collar as the orange holder was too narrow for the collar to fit through. I chose a collar which needed a decent tug to undo, I'm satisfied it would come off if he got caught on something but it's not too "quick release". I'd have been gutted if he'd lost it on the first day. He didn't much like it at first and kept scratching at it but doesn't seem to mind it now. The lights on the g-paws are a bit intermittent so it's hard to know if it's working or not but don't worry too much if you don't get a blue gps lock, just charge it up then give it a try. Uploading to the website is easy although I did find after a week or so I was getting a lot of files not working which became a bit frustrating and I wondered if the device was faulty. However there's a file GPSFileCheck.exe on the device itself and if you double click on that then try uploading again it seems to solve the problem.

The web interface is pretty basic, you can make your cat's adventures public, private or only available to friends. I'm sure it'll develop further in time - some kind of "cats near me" feature would be interesting, or the ability to comment on adventures.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this if you're interested in knowing where your cat's goes on their travels. Bear in mind that it's a gps recorder, not a live gps tracker (those are considerably larger) so won't be any use if your pet is lost; however I take comfort in knowing where he's been so if he goes missing for longer than usual I have some idea where to look. Mind you given how far he roams it'd be like looking for a needle in a haystack! Also the battery life is around 6-8 hours so if like Leo your cat goes walkabout for over a day you're still speculating on where he's been after the recorder stops working.

Finally, it's not much use if your kids let the cat out without the collar like my son did yesterday lunchtime, I'm still waiting for him to come back so I can put it on him again!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2013 3:24 PM BST

Duronic KS1009 Super Slim Sleek Design Digital Display 5KG Electronic Kitchen Scales - with Glossy Brushed Chrome Stainless Steel Surface and 2 Years FREE Warranty
Offered by DURONIC

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe Duronic but not very durable, 15 Jun. 2013
I bought these in December 2011 to replace a previous digital scale which became unreliable after a few years. These ones looked good and worked well initially but lasted were even less robust, they packed in completely after under 18 months. I think the problem is simply flour and icing sugar getting into the recessed areas round the buttons but it's actually pretty difficult not to have a bit of spillage from time to time, particularly if kids are involved. Now I need to find a replacement ideally with some kind of a touch screen and no place for ingredients to hide!

Adidas HT Hike Zip Off Pants Womens Hiking Trousers Trekking Outdoor Cargo Walking Bottoms Zip-Off ZipOff ZO ladies woman

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice enough trousers but very small sizing, 24 April 2013
These seem to be perfectly adequate quality trousers but I'm writing this review to comment on the sizing to help future purchasers. I ordered a size 10 which is the trouser size I've worn for years from Gap, M&S, Next, New Look etc but I could barely fasten them at the waist. Oops I thought, time to lay off the chocolate bars, and ordered the size 12 instead. They were STILL too tight at the waist and massive at the hips/legs. Maybe it's a problem with walking trousers as I ordered a Gelert pair at the same time which were also too small - the fabric has no 'give' in it whatsoever and the amount of elastic isn't enough to compensate. So both pairs ended up going back and I'm off to search for some walking trousers containing Lycra!

iRobot Roomba 780 Vacuum Cleaning Robot
iRobot Roomba 780 Vacuum Cleaning Robot

5.0 out of 5 stars Houseproud at last!, 25 Mar. 2013
I've always been a bit lazy about housework, viewing hoovering as something to do when visitors are coming and/or it gets really bad. Now I have 2 cats and though they aren't particularly bad shedders I found myself hoovering more than I'd like. So when I found out this device existed I immediately thought "I have to get me one of those." I did and I can't believe I didn't hear about it before. It's brilliant! All you need to do is press the button then go and do something, anything more interesting than housework. It definitely works better if you give it a clear run at a room so I tend to put any coffee tables/loose chairs etc off the floor - this took me a bit of time the first time but now I can do it in a few minutes and it encourages you to keep clutter to a minimum which is a good thing in itself. I now find myself using it every other day and am honestly enjoying being houseproud for the first time ever. All I need now is another robot to pick up the junk off my kids' bedroom floors and my life would be complete!

Pet Head Feeling Frisky Waterless Spray Shampoo, 236 ml
Pet Head Feeling Frisky Waterless Spray Shampoo, 236 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well but cat hates it, 3 Mar. 2013
I bought this to use on my Maine Coon whose coat tends to get a bit greasy even with regular brushing. He was definitely cleaner after using it although the fact that he spent the entire day trying to lick it off himself might have had something to do with it! He really didn't enjoy the experience at all and kept running away from me - thinking he might come around I persisted and was rewarded with a nasty scratch which is unusual since he's a very good natured boy. I've brought it out a couple of times since and not only does he run like the wind he blinks his eyes as if it's hurting them even when I'm not spraying anywhere near his face. I think the strong smell is probably the problem, he might object less if it was a more neutral scent or something attractive to cats rather than humans. So overall I've given it a 3 - it's worth a 5 if your cat is able to tolerate it but only a 1 if you end up with scratched hands and a kitty hiding under the bed!

That Yankee Cat: The Maine Coon
That Yankee Cat: The Maine Coon
by Marilis Hornidge

2.0 out of 5 stars Informative but overpriced and disappointing quality, 6 Feb. 2013
When I opened the package containing this book, my first thought was "Seriously? Is that it?" It's partly my own fault for not paying more attention to the product dimensions but for over £13 I was expecting a reasonably large and glossy book full of nice photos of Maine Coons. In fact this is a short and modest book, slightly larger but much thinner than a standard paperback, printed on cheap paper with lots of text and a scattering of black and white photos. The "color folio" comprises 8 pages of faded colour photos which look like they were taken in the 1970s and been left lying in someone's desk drawer ever since. So in terms of coffee table impact this scores about 1 out of 5.

The text is reasonably informative but is a bit old fashioned both in writing style and content. Although it's a revised edition from 2002, the book was originally published in 1981 and not much has been updated. There are tales dating back to the 1940s and one photo of a lady holding a cat in front of what looks like a WW2 aeroplane! It's an American publication which isn't a huge problem but does mean all the information on societies, cat shows etc are totally US centric. It has some historical information speculating on where the breed originated, a comprehensive description of the different colours (which was drier than it could have been because the illustrating photos were all black and white), some complicated explanations around the genetics associated with colour inheritance, some Maine Coon anecdotes and some more general sections on buying/raising/caring for pedigree cats. All OK but not enough to make up for the underwhelming presentation. If I'd only paid £5 for it I'd be marginally less disappointed but if I'd seen it in a bookshop I'd have flicked through it once and put it straight back on the shelf - and it's very rare for me to feel that way about books I buy from Amazon.

Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 32 GB - Includes Special Offers [Previous Generation]

2.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to love this but not even close to competing with iPad, 26 Oct. 2012
We're a family of avid apple fanboys (and fangirls!) so the house is full of iOS kit but I've also been an early adopter of the Kindle from the days when you had to buy it direct from the US so I pre-ordered this as soon as I saw it was available. I constantly read Android users slagging off Apple and saying how much better android is so I kept an open mind and really was prepared to be wowed by the Android/Amazon combination. But it hasn't happened. While the Kindle Fire itself is a sleek and attractive tablet with an impressive screen and great sound, the content (as pointed out by other reviewers) is incredibly disappointing. The selection of apps is poor so even if I wanted to replicate a selection of my iOS apps I wouldn't be able to. No catch up TV, no maps, no camera. Even the user interface isn't that easy - for example putting your own videos onto the device isn't intuitive and they appear in a separate App rather than in the Videos section which is only for Lovefilm. Getting photos from iPhoto into a folder or the Cloud then onto the device will be too much hassle. There's no Audible support (bizarre) and the pre-installed "office" app doesn't appear to do anything. I constantly find myself thinking "it'd be a lot easier to do this on my iPhone/iPad". Don't even get me started on having to phone up and pay £10 to remove ads which I'm pretty sure weren't disclosed at time I placed my order.

I summary, I hoped this would be a smaller, neater replacement for an iPad which I could put in my handbag. However, it falls far short. OK, the iPad mini is quite a bit more expensive but I can't see me using the Kindle Fire for anything other than a colour book reader and it's a bit heavy and pricey for just that, also the battery life is too low. I'm very tempted to send it back but my Mum has been talking about getting a tablet for ages so I might give it to her as a Christmas present, she won't mind about the lack of apps. Either way I'm afraid I'm now counting the days until my iPad mini arrives and wish apple had made their announcement a week or so ago so I'd have had more time to make the decision just to cancel the Kindle Fire order.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2012 4:04 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4