Profile for Ivan > Reviews

Content by Ivan
Top Reviewer Ranking: 337

Ivan "visiting your planet while mine's repaired" (Mid England)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Junxing Recurve Bow Adult Archery Right-Handed Bow Woods Riser Competition Recurve Bow ...
Offered by Hunting Life

5.0 out of 5 stars needs instructions for novices... otherwise faultless, 2 Dec. 2016
Recurve Bow
I received this rather later than my birthday, but it was a welcome gift. I've been wanting to take up bowshooter again for quite a while but never got around to it.
It's many years since I did any archery, and way back then, my weapon of choice was a traditional long bow with a high draw weight, no sights and very little in the way of machining. It was almost flat and it was cord whipped for grip, stained almost black and I think it was oiled and waxed. It wouldn't have looked out of place at the Norman conquest, or Agincourt.
Forty years ago, I learned a little of bow building and one of my many unfinished projects was a laminated yew bow that would probably have been more ornamental than seriously competitive but it was involving for a while and I learned the basics of using a spokeshave and a draw-knife, if nothing else.
I even learned to fletch my own shafts, which was emotionally rewarding but an insanely tedious task and required access to a friendly poultry seller with a few geese to selectively pluck, a good source of dowels and of course produces arrows that are generally nothing like as accurate as modern mass produced and cheap offerings. Still, I was a staunch traditionalist, maybe something of a snob about what I perceived as gimmickry in the equipment I saw other people using
My original inspiration was Eugen Heugel's (spelling?) classic book "Zen in the Art of Archery," which is less about archery and more about self-discovery and it gave me an attitude about archery that was maybe a bit snobbish and contrary.
I could out-shoot most I was standing with simply by good luck and not getting bogged down with sights and stabilisers and what I then considered frippery, and in the time that my range neighbours could get two arrows off, I could loose five or six shafts with better grouping.
It wasn't skill, It was a happy accident caused my not caring a damn about how well I scored and was far more about good luck and a relaxed approach than being "good" with a bow. If I'd been competing for money or real kudos, I know I wouldn't have cut the mustard, but if I found myself in the aftermath of some sort of nuclear holocaust and had to hunt or defend myself, I'd have done all right, at least that's what I reckoned.
In short, my experience with bows was not very high- tech and I was something of a Luddite.
My views have changed somewhat.
Compared with equipment I have owned before, The JunXing is a very different and more sophisticated beast indeed.
To start with, it's a thing of beauty.
I understand that it's considered to be on the upper end of the beginner's or intermediate equipment range, and one can pay an awful lot more than the price of this for something that is probably not a lot better.
Why would a bow be better? Beyond a certain standard, I suspect its largely cosmetic.
it's not going to be a question of better moving parts, after all the only thing with fewer moving parts than a bow is a stick. If a better bow has, for example, less propensity to twist, it's not going to matter a damn unless one habitually uses different bows throughout a shooting session and expects consistency. More expensive may not be better, performance wise, and I think that the Junxing is pegged at the level where more expensive might get you fancier, but not necessarily better.
I suspect that a lot of this being perceived as a beginner/intermediate model is down to the fact that the supplied screw-on sight"s body is injection moulded from, presumably, ABS rather than machined from the brass or titanium that a "professional" user" might be happier with.
The sights that come as standard seem perfectly adequate to my eyes. It's rigid, with no discernible play anywhere. All the adjustment screws appear to be brass or steel and run in metal bushes, not into threaded plastic. Unless it's subjected to trauma sufficient to snap the plastic, I don't see why its performance should be worse than all-metal construction. It would be "nicer" to have inlaid scales, for example, rather than the black on black moulding of the included sight.
What is that extra "niceness" worth?
Of course I'd like Swiss watch style construction and inlaid, engraved 'ivory' scales on the sights but would it get the arrow closer to the target?
To replace it with anything "better" looks like it would cost a lot of money for very little return on the investment, but then I'm no expert and I bow to those with greater experience

The Bow, finally.

The basic piece - the riser – appears to be made of nicely-contrasting wooden laminates which really do seem to be made of heavy maple.
If anyone is not at all familiar with wood-working, it means that several pieces of wood are glued together and thereafter treated as one piece for all subsequent cutting drilling and shaping operations. As well as being more economical, laminated construction is often stronger, more resistant to warping and, as in this case, by using different colours of wood, the final piece can have one or several pleasing contour stripes that emphasise and ornament the final shape.

The homogenous assembly has been CNC machined to a good, accurate standard that would be difficult and expensively time-consuming to produce by hand.
The shape and overall appearance is rather reminiscent of a gun stock which has been turned through 90°, which is, I suppose, what it is, though of course this is designed for the left handed grip of a right handed user.
The finish appears to be an acrylic varnish to me, with a pleasant satin finish that looks as if it would stand up to damp weather and blood splashes (?) but is probably not ideal for hiding in a swamp for prolonged periods - but then this wouldn't be the first choice of weapon in this kind of environment. It's more of a target bow, though I would say it would be fine for hunting in reasonable weather conditions.

The finish does show up the quality of the wood machining, which is very good, with hardly any rippling, and then it's very, very slight and only in one place – on the rather "difficult" concavity above the sight area (and it's only visible by scrutinising it under a spot light for the sake of writing a review.) It would never be noticeable in normal use. To improve it would require a lot of careful hand sanding but honestly, unless it were to be displayed under museum conditions, it would be insane to do it. The thing is beautiful as it is.
It's shaped with sensibly rounded transitions from plane to plane - no sharp edges on anything handleable, making for a comfortable piece of kit straight out of the box. It certainly fits my hand very comfortably.
If money were no object, I might expect slightly better grain matching on the laminates, but that's me trying really hard to find flaws that might be visible in a strong light and after all, it's a bow, not a jewellery box. but I'm trying to be as descriptive as possible. As it is, I'd say it's not far off the standard of a premium guitar,

The limbs are neatly and proudly lettered with "junxing" in stylish oblique white capitals against the black base, and though I'm not usually a fan of logos on gear, it seems to be de-rigeur on sports equipment and who am I to go against the norm? I certainly wouldn't be embarrassed by it, anyway. The lettering faces the target on the upper piece and the archer on the lower, which is useful as they are different, functionally.
The limbs are well finished glass reinforced laminates and they locate into permanently attached black plastic "shoes" on the front of the riser. They're attached by unobtrusive black thumb wheel screws which I think are M8 threaded. They have a slight stand-off so it's possible to get them good and tight with fingers All the screw points are metal-bushed, so there's no fear of anything stripping with use or strain. The consequences of the limb screws pulling out at full stretch would be horrific. There's no fear of that happening here.
The first time I assembled the bow, I was cursing and shouting obscenities as I couldn't get the screw in the 'ole, but it wasn't the fault of the equipment. The tolerances were so small that the limb was an interference fit in the shoe, and I had to slide it in and out a few times to lap it into a proper fit. Thereafter, it was no problem at all. Once assembled, it is solid as a rock.
Assembling and attaching the sights took a bit of puzzling out. As I've said, I'm a complete novice with all this new fangled technology and so I was baffled for a good ten minutes while I applied some logic to the problem, though after staring at the bag of pieces for a while, it became obvious.
There was no information included in my package, which was a flat cardboard box with the unassembled components perfectly adequately wrapped in plastic.
I would have preferred an instruction sheet, though, to spell out the obvious to the the inexperienced owner who might not see it as so obvious, and this should cover basic things like attaching the limbs and a diagram of the sights, assembled.
Of course it's obvious once it's done, but I can see this being bought as a surprise gift for say, a teenager, with absolutely no idea of which way is up.
As there are four possible ways of attaching the pair of limbs symmetrically and another four asymetrically, and only one of these is correct, a bit of a clue might be helpful - or at least save time.
I've read that when English men - experienced archers - first encountered recurved bows owned by "foreign devils", their first attempts at stringing them in the way that appeared "obvious" resulted in the bows being destroyed, as the "obvious" way was in fact backwards
Remember, once you've identified the right way up for the 'andle, which fits the left hand comfortably only one way, the bent bits screw on with the pointy ends facing away from you and the logo on the bottom one facing you.
The arrow rest, which is an adhesive-backed flat phenolic laminate plate with a sprung wire on it, goes on the left of the riser in the flat bottomed cut out, just above your hand. It locates with the hole in the plate over the hole in the riser. I understand that this hole is for the fitting of a gadget called a clicker, which Is a doohickey that lets you know when you've pulled the arrow back to a consistent point. It's not included and may or may not be useful to you.
There's also a threaded socket on the bow front for taking a stabiliser. I may be corrected on this but, but I still regard these things as a step too far away from the purity of the art. Might as well mount it on a tripod and power it with gunpowder... your prejudices may differ and I'm always willing to change mine as I learn more.
When I were a lad in the greenwood of merrie England, I could string a longbow with brute force and determination. Not so a recurve. It definitely needs someone with a lot of experience or, as recommended by those with a lot of experience, a bow stringer.
I ordered one eventually, and once I'd figured out how to attach it to the unstrung limb, it was a fairly simple matter to get the bow ready for action.
Trooping off up the local common in search of the King's deer proved unsuccessful. I suspect the green tights scare them away... so a switch to a straw bale and practice arrows was the only way forward, at least until Christmas eve when I'll be hiding down the garden watching the rooftops.
In use, it's pretty much what I hoped for - but noisier than I expected, probably on account of its built-up construction, so maybe the King's deer or the coyotes you're fending off your emu farm may be spooked by all the twangy thwack from your first missed shot and a one-piece bow may be more useful in stealthier applications, but in the real world, it's unlikely to be any sort of problem.
Accuracy?
I'm just getting back into it, so it would be unfair to criticise the bow other than to say that it's solidly made and therefore, importantly, will be as consistent as the user's skill allows.
I've only put practice arrows through it so far but when the weather picks up, I'll run some broadheads through it and if it's substantially different, I'll let you know.
I don't see anyone but a serious competitive sportsman outgrowing this bow, or those who wish to spend more just for the sake of spending more. Again, I could ask for ludicrous improvements, a black ash riser with an inlaid shark skin gripping surfaces, for example, or an oiled instead of acrylic varnish finish or even die casting the body in unobtanium instead of wood, but it's not going to make it better at doing its job.
As it is, it's strongly and attractively made and will do everything I'd reasonably want it to do.
I love this, so much so that I've hung it on the wall.
Rating
I was going to give this four stars but say that I think the bow itself deserves five, but the lack of an instruction sheet deserves a star knocking off.
Is that fair, though? If I'm rating the "package" - the actual buying experience – I'd say four stars, but the bow itself definitely deserves five, so I'm going to say 9/10 - and give it a five for now.
I'd ask the vendors to please knock up a short instruction sheet or even to include the info on this listing. I'll do some photographs of the sights sometime soon, but I'm up to my neck in alligators at the moment and can't do it right now.

IeGeek Waterproof Home Security Surveillance Outdoor Bullet IP Camera
IeGeek Waterproof Home Security Surveillance Outdoor Bullet IP Camera
Offered by MeeHoo Tech

2.0 out of 5 stars crippled by dreadful software, 27 Oct. 2016
Ipcam review
I bought this attractive, nicely finished and quite robust-looking little camera partly on price, but mainly because it had self-contained recording via an SD card, which is rare in an all-weather and which I thought would save me a lot of bother.
It hasn’t.
According to the product blurb, set-up and installation is apparently a simple, foolproof and almost-instant operation. It isn't. It took me over six hours of continuous effort to get the thing to work
First of all, it seemed to work fine via the ethernet cable - i.e. I got a viewable picture on my tablet, which was connected wirelessly, but as soon as the camera was unplugged from the ethernet, it would not recognise the wireless network.
The CamHi software showed about twenty nearby wireless networks, and I went through the connect procedure about fifty times for my own and it seemed to be connected - but as soon as the wired connection was removed, it failed. See below.
I was on the point of boxing it up and sending it back but tried a previous setting again once and it suddenly worked.
I'd tried and retried various permutations of settings, attempting to follow the absolutely dreadful instructions which make no sense and eventually, after turning it off and on yet again, it worked – though I had not done anything different from what I’d been doing before.
(rant)
Why can’t the Chinese get over their damned arrogance about writing homespun instructions that cause hours of frustration for their European user-base? All it would take would be to employ a native English speaker to edit and check over their gobbledygook before publishing it, but they won’t do it. The Japanese suffered from the same problem as anyone who installed any 1970 audio equipment will remember, but they bit the bullet decades ago and now produce material in reasonably good idiomatic English. The Chinese won't accept even very friendly, positive criticism on this issue, and I have, in the past, offered to help out but the manufacturer in question assured me that they had perfect capable, and not for needing of instructional assistance, please. And have a nice nice day.
The last three pieces of Chinese kit I have had have all had instructions which refer to product buttons that either don't exist at all or are labelled as having a completely different function. This camera is no exception. When setting up the wireless connection, I kept coming to a dialogue asking me if I heard, “the sound.”
What sound?
I hit the “no” button and was instructed to press the “reset” button and hold it for a long time. I was stalemated.
What reset button?
Is this in the software, buried under more unnavigable dialogues and menus, my tablet’s controls, or is it on the hardware, maybe somewhere inside the screwed on casing?
I couldn’t find it, anyway, and after coming across a text link in the system dialogue - definitely not a button - giving me the option of rebooting or resetting the camera, I risked the dire warnings and tried resetting the camera - was that it - ?
Apparently not. I kept being brought back to the same point - do I hear the sound. No, I didn't.
This wasted about an hour and a half of the six that this ”only moments” set-up was taking.
I gave up and hit the software button that confirmed that I could hear the sound that I couldn't hear.
The room filled with the whooping of a slowed down siren, filling a bottle sort of noise that went on for a long time.
Eventually it stopped.
At that point, a brief pop up confirmed that I had a connection to wireless, and the IP number in the system dialogue had changed, so I thought this might have solved the connectivity issue, so I turned the camera off, pulled the cable, turned everything back on again.
No wireless.
Tried disconnecting the ethernet while hot, while down, while standing on one leg, holdimg a rabbit's foot... eventually it worked. Screwed the camera to the wall, cursing the fat connector which I eventually fed in through the edge of a window frame.
No wireless.
Disconnected the power a couple of times,
Yes wireless.

Well, I can now see who’s coming up my back passage, (!) day or night, by grabbing my tablet and booting the app, which takes about thirty seconds.
The live picture quality is adequate and the field of view wide enough for what I need.
The night vision is particularly impressive, with bright, shadow-free lighting which works best if it’s not overwhelmed by nearby objects reflecting more of their fair share of the light.
The dialogue for image quality refers to two streams, with different settings for each.
I have no idea what this means.
Does it refer to the live feed versus the recorded feed, the internal versus the ftp feed or the daytime versus the night vision?
Whoever is responsible for the cd-insert sized “manual” obviously doesn’t care that I don’t know what it means, and this is infuriating. Maybe it’s obvious to everybody else, but I’ve not been taught the secret handshake or whatever it is that’s necessary to see the “obvious.” and frankly, why should it be necessary? I’m reasonably tech savvy, but I can’t fathom this level of incompetent product service which is unforgivable in this information-rich age.
I STILL can’t get the camera to connect to an ftp server.
I have two servers running on different machines on my network, and I can connect to either server from either machine or from any other piece of kit I try, but the camera, well, I can’t get it to work. It fails the self test every time. After wasting hours to get the wifi to work, I’ve now wasted several more hours trying to get the damn thing to save footage to remote storage. It won’t do it.
I can save the current view to tablet from the on-screen viewer button, which is fine if I’m actually sitting watching an intruder in the process of intruding, at the time as it’s happening but it won’t perform the alarm save function.
The worst thing?
I bought this mainly because it featured self contained recording via an SD card.
How about this... other than viewing SD recordings via the dreadful CamHi app, there doesn’t seem to be any way to retrieve the recordings without dismantling the camera again, which means a considerable amount of work – actually uninstalling the apparatus, and if it's attached to a high wall for example, this is not going to be trivial.
And - of course - It won’t save via ftp, either.
Why go to the trpuble of producing something which is then crippled to the point of unuseability.
Say I get up and find that I’ve had an intruder steal the pile of potatoes that the camera is pointing at. I have a screen full of video clips which I have to sort through, only accessible via the Cam-Hi app, which will only let me view the SD recordings in real time. Yep, that’s right, if something happened in the last eight hours, I have to sit for eight hours to find it because the scrub bar on the viewer won’t let me scroll through the recording - trying crashed the viewer.
Once I’ve found my potato-thieving intruder, there’s no way to get the footage off the card to use as an evidence clip without the afore-mentioned dismantling.
I was in two minds about returning the camera, but it’s pretty good as a remote viewer, or something to review the past few minutes if I think I’ve just missed something.
Why not use the proximity-detecting alarm recording function, instead of the continuous recording you might ask?
Because it doesn’t work, is why. It fires off when there’s nothing happening, whereas going and waving at the camera, marching up and down the passage and tap-dancing - the camera misses it completely. The only way to capture events reliably is to set it on continuous record.. and the dialogue for that is completely unfathomable too, what the frick is “guard switch” on/off ?
I had to try all sorts of permutations and let the thing run for ages to figure out most of the stuff I did, but of course if settings are interdependent, this could take weeks - all for the want of proper instructions.
I need more coverage, and have decided to buy a hard-drive recording system which will at least enable me to access the recorded footage. Meanwhile I’m covered where I really need it.
The camera looks good, seems robust and as a camera it’s pretty good value for money but the hardware is only half of the system. Without the software, it’s not much better than a dummy camera and the rather decent-looking unit is so badly - so badly – let down by the badly thought out software and the lame instructions - both of which declare, “f**k ‘em, they’re only customers, we’ve sold the product, job finished!” that I could not in good conscience recommend this - yet with a decent software download and instructions that aren’t contemptuous of the end-user, the same hardware could receive a five-star rating.
If the distributors contact me to successfully put right the problems detailed above - none of which seem to be hardware - I will gladly amend the review and rating.
(/rant)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2017 4:24 AM GMT

Youshiko YC9070 Digital Thermometer Maximum Minimum
Youshiko YC9070 Digital Thermometer Maximum Minimum
Offered by TimesLink

3.0 out of 5 stars ups and downs..., 4 Oct. 2016
Small and neat. Rather baffled that the instructions for an indoor/outdoor weather measuring instrument warn me to keep it in a dry place, which sort of defeats the object as I was installing it in an out of the rain location but it's going to be subjected to high humidity at times. I will take mt chances with it and see.
I'd buy it again, certainly. Very easy too use, not so easy to see. Old do with a backlight or larger digits. Comes without batteries. Easy to fit, then works fine.
I'd prefer a darker housing, personally. For the price, good value.

Micro USB OTG ( On-The-Go ) Adapter ✔ Micro-USB B Male Plug auf USB-A Female Slot ✔ Extremly Small Mini ✔ Use Your USB Devices ( e.g. USB Flash-Drive ) with your Android / Windows Tablet or Smartphone
Offered by Tech-Surfer UK (VAT included)

2.0 out of 5 stars Handy for emergencies, 15 Sept. 2016
Flimsy and unreliable
On the plus side, this thing takes up hardly any space so worth keeping in ac orner of the tote bag for emergency use. Nicely packaged in a memory-card type box with a custom liner,
I'd say it's good as a spare wheel, but for everyday file transfer, it's not a patch on the flexible-lead alternatives.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2016 2:04 PM BST

Tendak Micro USB 2.0 to USB Female OTG Cable On The Go Adapter,Male Micro USB to Female USB for Smart Phones Tablets with OTG Function (Black/Blue)(2-Pack)
Offered by Tendak Store

5.0 out of 5 stars better than the rigid connectors, 15 Sept. 2016
I've used a couple of rigid adapters, and foiund them fragile and unreliable. Clontact wss iffy, they weren't physically secure... no confidence.
These little chaps, on the other hand, are excellent.
I'm exteemely impressed and if they last, which I suspect they will, ghen well worth big, top notch recommendation.

Faber-Castell SUPER POLYMER - lead refills (Black, F, Box)
Faber-Castell SUPER POLYMER - lead refills (Black, F, Box)

2.0 out of 5 stars not for me, I'm afraid., 15 Sept. 2016
I had great hopes for these,
Using in Graphgear 1000, now my go-to pencil range. I;ve used several brands of lead, the pentel Hi-polymer and the ain wotsits, are so far my favourites.
I've been deligter with F-C pencils and other bits and pieces over the years and I tried a box of thesem in F grade and I'm extremely disappointed. They'll be fine for drafting, using a straightedge but when used for preliminary sketching for figure work they are harsh and scratchy to the ponht where they derail me. I feel quite bad about being so negative, but I pride myself on honesty...
I think that these feel more like a 2H Pentel,
As soon as I get some ore / differnt brand, I'm afraid these are going to get relegated to a cheap pencil
Sorry, guys.
The dispenser box is extremely well designed,btw.
as I said, they'll probably be excellent for technical work.

Jorlyen Memory Foam Seat Cushion for Car &Chair- (1 Cushion with 2 Covers), Medically Provide Lumbar Support, Reduce the Lower Back Pain
Offered by Jorlyen_Tech

4.0 out of 5 stars writing the great american novel, 30 Aug. 2016
After sitting for long hours on a slatted wooden chair from the big Swedish place, writing the great american novel, I had a few episodes of numb 'nads and had to get up and walk around...
...
I hadn't realized how much damage I'd done to myself till I found I was passing urine the colour and opacity of ketchup. It hurt.
One emergency trip to the rubber-gloved ventriloquist revealed I'd crushed my prostate, which is not something I'd recommend to anybody. It started to clear up with antibiotics, but it was all still a bit tender round the undercarriage and I went through a week of tryng to sit on one bottock, then the other, then a doubled-up draught excluder wraooed in a towel...
Amyway, I took a crowbar to the wallet and bought this device.
Oh, blessed relief.
I was a bit worried that it might look like a kiddy potty, or worse.
It arrived more quickly than I expected, packaged without instructions or product manual, but hey - what is there to know?
I was pleasantly surprided by the thing not looking like a geriatric accessory. It has a sort of functoonal, rugged James Bond after Casino Royale (ouch!) look to it, and mounted on a leather office chair it's quite chic.
I've not dismatled it yet, but it has a zip, leading me to believe I can throw it in The Machine should it get too sweaaty, or heaven forbid, bloodstained.
Comfort? Oh yes, it has comfort.
I'm reasonably confident of not doing myself any more damage for a while and that that is done, having chance to heal properly.

Mad Dog 357 Collector's Edition With Bullet Key Chain
Mad Dog 357 Collector's Edition With Bullet Key Chain
Offered by Hot-Headz!

5.0 out of 5 stars Warming!!!, 25 Aug. 2015
I already wrote this but Amazon seem to have "lost" it and have now asked me to "write a review.." fortunately I kept a copy.

What would this be like as an erotic lubricant? I asked myself

I was first introduced to 357 at a dinner party where the host, knowing I was a chilli-head, gave me some to try along with sensible "this is NOT a joke or a dare - go easy with it." type warnings.
I was in heaven - or the other place.
The burn was awesome - but so was the taste, almost like mega-distilled Tabasco, full of fruit and sweet, soft notes which was rather a surprise after some of the hot sauces I'd tried.

I bought my own, and introduced many visitors to it, in the same careful way that I'd been introduced. Most tried it and were impressed, some declined - game - over while a handful of others decided sensible warnings were for them wivvout testicules and decided to prove their worth against nobody else competing, with the inevitable hour spent crying under the cold tap - and a trip to the rubber-gloved ventriloquist for the really hard of thinking.
If anyone claims this stuff "isn't hot" then let them take a spoonful from a sealed bottle and post their proof as a video on here, in one uncut scene. I'll then happily apologise for doubting them and send them a shiny sixpence.

There may be those who have had their taste bids lobotomised by some childhood trauma or who are genetically predisposed to be immune to dilithium crystals and magma, but I doubt many of them review hot sauce.
This sauce IS hot.

It also tastes great, suitably diluted.

In a mug of Bovril, awesomely great. I normally wipe a cocktail stick round the inside of the bottle neck and then stir the mug with it. Plenty hot enough. I once put a free-falling drop into a mug and spent the rest of the day with my viscera in traction. Fail.
Ditto cup-a-soups etc.

The special edition comes with a "bullet" containing a teeny tiny spoon. It would be great if it weren't too flimsy. I put mine on a key ring and within a couple of days it had fallen apart irretrievably. Might be okay hung up somewhere but then not ideal for the travelling connoisseur.

I still ask myself What would this be like as an erotic lubricant?
I also wonder what it would be like painting the inside of my eyelids with it

Some fantastical imaginings are best left to the world of fantasy.

100x 1 Gram Clay Desiccants Packets Mold/Mildew/Odors/Corrosion Prevention
100x 1 Gram Clay Desiccants Packets Mold/Mildew/Odors/Corrosion Prevention
Offered by Broadfashion

5.0 out of 5 stars Make mine dry..., 25 Aug. 2015
I've been after some of these for ages, and at this price I had no excuse not to.

I'm a little perturbed by the instructions to "Throw away." Cunning marketing plan, perhaps?

A great buy.

Benetech GM550 Non-Contact Infrared Digital Thermometer
Benetech GM550 Non-Contact Infrared Digital Thermometer
Offered by ChangWei

5.0 out of 5 stars The power of Heat Vision saves the world again, 25 Aug. 2015
I bought this last Christmas to help with cooking a turkey in an unfamiliar oven, a task it performed admirably. It snowed, too, which allowed me to have a few minutes of fun outside. Snow is hardly the textbook black-body radiator, and I expected failure but again, it performed admirably.

Since then it has proved useful in preparing tinctures in Kilner jars, balancing temperatures on exhaust manifolds and checking the chimney on my log burner to make sure it wasn't going to go all Three Mile Island on me.

Note that there are similar-looking models of this at different prices. This has an extended upper range and I chose it because of the chimney work.

Okay, a budget tool but it performs well, within expected parameters.
If you're a wood stove owner, get one. MUCH better than a chimney-fitting thermometer

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20