Profile for Bantam Dave > Reviews

Content by Bantam Dave

Bantam Dave (Bradford, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Crocs Unisex Adults' Classicslide Open-Toe Sandals, Black (Black), Uk M 8/ W9 42/43 EU

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart, sensible sandals, 22 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not keen on sandals perhaps because nearly every pair I have ever owned haven’t been particularly comfortable to wear, especially those that have a bar that goes between the big and second toe. A recent heatwave presented me with the ideal opportunity to give these Crocs sandals a go and, by and large, I have been pleasantly impressed. I mainly wore them around the house and garden, replacing my usual slippers, but whilst the black design is fairly sober and maybe even slightly old-fashioned they were smart enough to wear whilst out and about. As far as I am concerned wearing socks with sandals is a definite no-no so whilst I have found them to be fairly comfortable I personally would not advise wearing them for long walks though because skin was painfully scraped from both of my feet when I attempted a hour long early evening stroll wearing mine. This is probably my fault though as this type of sandal perhaps isn’t intended to be used as walking shoes. My pair are a perfect fit for my UK size 8 feet so they stopped in place with no slippage at all and the soles are contoured for comfort too. Overall I would say that if you are looking for a smart, functional sandal you should consider these Crocs sandals.

Rapesco Plier Stapler - Fin, 12 Sheet Capacity
Rapesco Plier Stapler - Fin, 12 Sheet Capacity

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, reliable stapler, 15 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I work in a large modern office containing all the standard hi-tech equipment but the one gadget that is most unreliable are not the desktop computers, laptops or the photocopiers (although these do seem to be out of order more times than they actually work) but the humble stapler. If you were to look in our stationery cabinet right now I guarantee that you would find a dozen or so staplers that either don’t work or jam so frequently that it makes them practically useless. This stapler so far seems to be much better than our office staplers though because whilst it has been well used since we acquired it from Amazon it has been completely trouble free. I particularly like the plier type stapling action, finding it superior to the usual ‘press down’ action, because it seems to be a more convenient and efficient method of stapling. This stapler copes quite easily with up to a dozen sheets of paper but the squeezing, plier action means that it is capable of stapling quite a few more. I was initially a little disappointed to find that it uses small 10/4 staples rather than the standard size ones but these smaller staples have turned out to be perfectly adequate for every job we have used it for. I also assumed that a reasonable supply of staples would be supplied with the stapler, they aren’t but this is no problem because spare staples are easy to source and are also inexpensive to buy.

This is a good stapler which we have found to be ideal for our household stapling jobs. I would also recommend buying one for the kids for use on their schoolwork. Its compact size means it would fit comfortably in their schoolbag.

Intimuse Women's Gora T-Shirt, Grey (Grau Melange 026), Large
Intimuse Women's Gora T-Shirt, Grey (Grau Melange 026), Large

2.0 out of 5 stars Strange design, 1 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When this t-shirt became available on the Amazon Vine program my wife was extremely keen that I should order one but I couldn’t help but notice that less that a week later she had put it in our bag of clothes to give to the charity shop. I think this means that she doesn’t like it! When I asked her about it she said that whilst she liked the soft fabric and the grey colour she did not like the design at all and would never wear a garment leave her back as exposed as this t-shirt does; she wears a bra and she cannot think of a good reason why ANYBODY would wear a t-shirt which displays your bra straps like this does. Maybe the person who buys this from the charity shop might like it more.

Popband Essentials Ponytail Holders - Material Girl
Popband Essentials Ponytail Holders - Material Girl

4.0 out of 5 stars A step up from normal hairbands, 1 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My daughter likes these popbands as she thinks that they are definitely a step up from the traditional hair band. Mainly she likes how they look because, like most eleven year old girls,looking good is one of her main considerations. She also appreciated how simple they were to use. Traditional hairbands are basically nothing more than a glorified elastic bands, so they easily get tangled in your hair when you are putting them on and particularly when you are taking them out. Popbands are approximately a half inch wide and are covered in a soft fabric material The elasticity of the band is not as gripping as a normal hairband which, whilst it doe’t mean that they can slip, it does make them quite easy to remove.
Popbands come in a variety of colours and designs and my daughter is keen to try more.

Quiet Genius: Bob Paisley, British Football's Greatest Manager
Quiet Genius: Bob Paisley, British Football's Greatest Manager
by Ian Herbert

5.0 out of 5 stars The biography of Duggie Doin's, 28 May 2017
It can’t have been easy writing the biography of Bob Paisley. Whilst you could find plenty to write about the great Liverpool teams he built and the fourteen major trophies they won during his nine years as manager there is surprisingly little that can be written about Bob Paisley himself. This is because he was an intensely private man who was uncomfortable being in the media spotlight and would certainly never court controversy. Rather than celebrities and nightclubs Paisley was a man who was much happier to be at home in the company of his beloved wife and family. He possessed none of the charisma of his predecessor Bill Shankly and often he has been undervalued because of this but his achievements mean that he must rank among the very best; this biography attempts to explain how and why this could be.
Reading this book it is difficult to understand how he became such an outstanding manager. Usually seen wearing a cardigan and tie, and occasionally also wearing a pair of slippers, with his ever Brylcreemed hair Paisley looked more like the proprietor of a corner shop than a football manager and fully earned the nickname Uncle Bob. His North Eastern accent was, for many, almost unpenetrable and he became a figure of fun to some of his players particularly during his sometimes baffling team talks in which when he would invariably forget a particular players name - causing him to then christen them doin's, earning him another nickname, Duggie Doin's. He was not universally liked by his players neither (hence a third, but much less friendly nickname - The Rat) because they would often become frustrated by the lack of communication they received from him and his tendency to favour a few select players. Although his team talks would sometimes leave his players scratching their heads it is clear that much of Liverpool’s success was derived from Paisley’s tactical genius. His main strength was that he could usually pinpoint the weaknesses of the opponents and he was ruthless in exploiting them,thinking nothing of dropping players if he thought that their replacement would be more effective for that particular game. Whilst he came across as being a kindly grandfather-like figure this is deceptive; Paisley could be a cold, ruthless man when the circumstances demanded.
Despite Paisley not being the most colourful of characters this is an extremely enjoyable, well written biography. It was worth read if only to learn what Bill Paisley said to Alan Kennedy after he had had a bad game - they shot the wrong Kennedy, which is surely the best football put down of all time! My only slight criticism is the subtitle, Bob Paisley, British Footballs Greatest Manager. Whilst in terms of trophies won, this is probably correct, but is great management judged on trophies alone? I hope there is more to it than that and if so it must surely be argued that others such as Herbert Chapman, Jock Stein, Sir Matt Busby, Sir Alex Ferguson or even Brian Clough could perhaps deserve that title instead. Bob Paisley must definitely be rated alongside them all nevertheless.

The Life of a Scilly Sergeant
The Life of a Scilly Sergeant
by Colin Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect tales of sin and debauchery, 21 May 2017
A note on the front cover informs us that The Life of a Scilly Sergeant is soon to be made into a major television series. When it is it is likely to be as far removed from Happy Valley as you are ever likely to get because on the Isles of Scilly illegal activity is practically unheard of and the issuing of two parking tickets in a week would be classified as a crime-wave. Thats the trouble with this book; it is far too gentle and whilst it starts out as being a pleasant, undemanding read it isn’t long before it becomes tedious. Perhaps it is best if you ignore the fact that it is written by a police sergeant because if you are looking for a police procedural book you are likely to be disappointed. Instead if you read it to gain an insight on the Isles of Scilly you will at least be partially satisfied.

Of course you could simply skip the book altogether and wait for the TV series. It is likely to be screened in the same time slot as that other hard hitting drama, Call the Midwife.

HiPP Baby Oil (Pack of 6)
HiPP Baby Oil (Pack of 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars HiPP HiPP - hooray, 14 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our baby is now eleven years old and she’s taller than her mum but both are regular users of baby oil after they have showered. They were both devotees of Johnsons and probably would never have considered using any other brand until we acquired a pack of six bottles of HiPP baby oil from Amazon. After initial scepticism they both like it; it has a pleasant aroma which lingers pleasingly after it has been applied and it absorbs quickly into the skin leaving absolutely no trace - no stickiness, no greasiness. Its main selling point is that it is free from any ingredients that may irritate sensitive skin but because neither mum or daughter have sensitive skin they are perhaps the wrong people to judge whether this is actually true in practise. The individual bottles are quite small, probably designed to be easily carried around with the countless other items that a mother must carry with her everytime she and baby leaves the house, but as a small amount goes a long way a bottle will last a surprisingly long time.
HiPP baby oil is a good product which is appears to be on a par with Johnsons.

New KS2 Maths Targeted SATs Question Book - Foundation Level
New KS2 Maths Targeted SATs Question Book - Foundation Level
by CGP Books

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but choose the level that corresponds to your childs ability, 30 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For the past few months my daughters schooldays seem to have been taken up with the preparation for the forthcoming SATS tests. Her school has provided her with plenty of practice papers and various books, similar to this, to help her on her way. To my eyes this particular book seemed one of the better ones that she has been given, being both well designed and interesti ng. So interesting, in fact, that I found myself doing some of the tests, and I’m pleased to say, doing them quite well. My daughter though wasn’t quite so impressed with it. She found the level to be below her ability and therefore didn’t find it a much of a challenge. On checking I found that this to be foundation level , which is the lowest of the three levels available, the two other levels being, standard and advanced. Therefore before purchasing one of these workbooks take care that you choose the one which corresponds best with your childs ability.

FIND Leather Formal , Mens Loafers, Brown (Brown), 8  (42 EU)
FIND Leather Formal , Mens Loafers, Brown (Brown), 8 (42 EU)

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and smart, 28 April 2017
This review is from: FIND Men's Loafer Shoes (Shoes)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If I had have seen these in a shoe shop I would not have bought them. I have not worn slip on shoes for many years and when I saw them I though they were a little too long for my taste and perhaps slightly old fashioned looking. I work in an office though, and they are perfect shoes for that environment, being light, casual but smart. Since wearing them I now admit to liking them – a lot. They are extremely comfortable and have been from the first time I wore them, I had no wearing in problems whatsoever, perhaps because they are a roomy size eight rather than being nipped. I have also been surprised at the convenience of wearing slip on shoes too, no more tying and untying shoe laces and I can now slip my shoes off when I am sat at my work-station!

I go through shoes quite rapidly, the soles usually wearing though in no time, but I am hopeful that these will last a while as the synthetic soles seem quite hard wearing, but only time will tell

Above Head Height: A Five-A-Side Life
Above Head Height: A Five-A-Side Life
by James Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Five a side, 28 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In the description of this book on Amazon there is the phrase “a must-have for anyone who has ever played and enjoyed amateur football”. This is no doubt true because Above Head Height is definately a book that the millions of people that play five (or more) a side football on a regular basis will empathise with. Many five-a-siders will have played with similar characters to the ones described by James Brown and many will have also had similar experiences, and on reading this will have the enjoyment of recognition. I, on the other hand, have barely kicked a ball in anger since leaving school almost fifty years ago, electing to be a watcher rather than a player for the simple reason that I can’t play football for toffee. Perhaps this is why I didn’t like this book as much as I had anticipated. I enjoyed much of it, particularly when he writes about the diverse people he has played alongside and also about his childhood days playing street football in Leeds (I am familiar with the streets he names that he played on, so this is probably another example of enjoyment by recognition). What mars the book for me though as that it is just too detailed; he writes about practically all aspects of five a side, so much so that at it is almost encyclopedic. This meant that by three quarters of the way through my interest had flagged and I was looking forward to finishing it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20