Profile for S. Hall > Reviews

S. Hall

Morphy Richards 242006 Accents 4 Slice Toaster - Sage Green
Morphy Richards 242006 Accents 4 Slice Toaster - Sage Green

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke in two week!, 19 April 2017
This toaster lasted all of two weeks before developing a fault which meant it tripped the power every time I used it. The build quality did not seem good to begin with and it also had the annoying habit of pinging smaller items like hot cross buns out of the slot when it popped up. This is due to the fact that it has a 'high lift' as standard.

I bought it because the colour matched a lovely enamel bread bin I own but that will teach me to by things based on aesthetics!

The Great Smile Robbery (Puffin Books)
The Great Smile Robbery (Puffin Books)
by Roger McGough

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, clever children's story., 24 Sept. 2016
This is a wonderful playful children's book filled with clever language and fantastically gruesome characters. I loved this as a child and have just been reading it to my six year old who has been roaring with laughter at the story and the fantastic illustrations.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use, intuitive temperature controller, 15 Jan. 2016
This is a great bit if kit. I'm using it to control a brew fridge/fermentation chamber.

Really easy to set up. My brew fridge build took very little time as it was so simple.

You do need to play around to make sure your fridge isn't just cycling between heating and cooling but if you leave a small bit of leeway above or below the target temperature then depending on the ambient temperature it will either drift down or up around your target temperature slowly with cycling on and off.

I would recommend this to anyone building a brew fridge.

Polaroid Optics 77mm IR720 Infrared X-Ray Filter
Polaroid Optics 77mm IR720 Infrared X-Ray Filter
Offered by Smart Shop UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well with infrared film, great price but doesn't look like a true 720nm filter., 13 July 2015
I purchased this filter on a certain auction site but wanted to review it here as you can't really review products on that site. I have done a little bit of infrared photography in the past, always using Rollei IR400 film. I own a Hoya R72 and Kood R720 filter in smaller sizes so have something to compare this too. I purchased the filter to use with my Mamiya RZ67 which uses 77mm filter. I'd previously been able to find bargains for smaller filter sizes but there was nothing under £80 from any of the major filter brands so I went with this much cheaper Polaroid filter.

On inspection the filter does not appear to be a true 720nm IR cut off filter. If you hold it up to a light source you can see that it is not completely opaque and you can see a dim dark red image through it. I compared it to my other IR filters and was concerned that the IR light would be overwhelmed by even this small amount of visible light. If I were to guess, I would say that it is more like a 680-700nm filter.

Saying that, I carried out a test comparing it to the Kood IR720 filter and found it worked just as well. I was using Rollei IR400 film and taking a manual meter reading and exposing at EI 6/3/1.5. This equated to shutter speeds of ~ 1/15s to 1/3s @f16 on a very bright sunny day at midday. I took shots with the Kood filter and then held the larger Polaroid filter over the lens. Comparison scans of the negatives show very little difference that I can see between the quality filter and this cheapo version. Both show the characteristic lightening of foliage and dark black skies. If I were to say there was any difference I might suggest that with identical exposure times the shots with the Polaroid filter ended up with fractionally more exposure on the film. The highlights were possibly a tiny bit brighter and the dark black skies were just a minuscule amount lighter. Really though, this is only though having the two images side by side that you could spot any difference. Overall it seems to work well for use with infrared film.

When I get them online, I'll post a link to some sample images which I know I would have found useful when shopping for this filter.

I obviously can't comment on how this filter would perform with digital IR photography but why would you want to muck around with all that digital nonsense anyway ;-)

Poo Bum
Poo Bum
by Stephanie Blake

5.0 out of 5 stars loved by all ages in our family, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Poo Bum (Paperback)
Hilarious, and with perfect comic timing. Takes away some of the illicit the power of rude words for a 4 year old who was thrilled to get it for xmas. There's more to this book than is first apparent..... such as the lovely modelling of a family who love and accept their "Little Rabbit" despite his limited vocabulary and the later demonstration of his real verbal intellect. I've been re-reading this and giggling alone whenever I happen to see it about the house. Oh and I love the cartoons; the expression on the sick wolf's face is spot on.

Shit London: Snapshots from a City on the Edge
Shit London: Snapshots from a City on the Edge
by Patrick Dalton

5.0 out of 5 stars Capturing London at its cruddy best, 16 July 2011
This is a really brilliant book, with some fantastically funny photos.

From the opening image of the massive graffiti wall that simply reads 'TRAIN WANKERS', I knew that this book would appeal to my base and juvenile sense of humour. Some of the photos are genuinely witty even artistic, but for me it's all about the knob graffiti, bizarrely named shops and abusive notices.

Enjoy it for what it is; a collection of hilarious photos that make you laugh... a lot!

Vivitar ViviCam 6200W Rugged Digital Camera (6MP, 4x Digital, Waterproof to 10m) 2.0" LCD

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly rubbish camera, 31 Oct. 2007
I bought four of these cameras for the special needs school that i work at. I thought that as they were "rugged" and waterproof they would be up to the test but barely a month had gone by two had stopped working. In addition to this they eat batteries at an extraordinary rate, have extremely stiff buttons which are too difficult for small children to use and the picture certainly don't look like they were taken with a six mega pixel camera. The lack of proper focus also seriously hiders this camera. It may be designed to be simple and easy to use, but it by over simplifying it they have created a dud product.

Instead i would recommend the Olympus mju725 or something from this series which i have myself and would have bought had we had the budget. I wont make the same mistake again.