Profile for Marigold French > Reviews

Content by Marigold French

Marigold French (Wales, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
De'Longhi EC680.R Dedica Coffee Machine with 15 Bar Espresso Pump - Red
De'Longhi EC680.R Dedica Coffee Machine with 15 Bar Espresso Pump - Red
Offered by sotel-electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact and advertised as making two cups but..., 8 Dec. 2015
We previously had an Aldi SilverCrest espresso machine which was excellent (and a third of the price) but we should have used bottled water as our hard water was eventually the death of it. Took a while to find something and at least this said it coped with 2 cups at a time. Balancing the 7.75mm high normal-shaped mugs we used with the Aldi machine on the drip tray was impossible. So we took the drip tray top off the Aldi machine and laid it over the Delonghi tray and hoorah it works perfectly. Why the makers couldn't have made this machine with a slightly wider ledge for 2 mugs is beyond me. We did have problems getting the filter handle in the correct place, it was very stiff initially but that's getting better. It's smaller than the Aldi machine so that is a plus. Is it good value for money? Well not as good value as the Aldi machine but if you use Tesco clubcard points then it is!

Walimex painting easel, aluminium, 150 cm (load-bearing capacity of approx. 10 kg, incl. carry bag) for canvases measuring up to 74 cm in height
Offered by WALSER GmbH & Co. KG

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it's lightness so I am going to use another ..., 8 July 2015
A lovely light easel for carrying and painting outdoors. However if you want to stand and paint small works (10" high by 12" wide ) it presents a few problems. The bottom edge of the painting has to rest on the supports attached to the two front legs. The top edge being held by the end lip of the wind-up central mast. This means the height of the painting is really too low even with all legs extended to their fullest. I like it's lightness so I am going to use another board portrait-wise and and clip my landscape board to the top of it and then lean the tripod back slightly (shorten the rear leg).
I spent ages online trying to find what I really wanted and this was the closest I got!

A French Affair
A French Affair
by Susan Lewis

1.0 out of 5 stars Promises much, delivers nothing, 10 Mar. 2014
This review is from: A French Affair (Paperback)
After about a quarter of the book I started skipping bits (padding) that add nothing to the story. There's too much pointless dialogue, There's too much (poor) French dialogue patronisingly translated and French words sprinkled throughout which just served to illustrate how pretentious the whole thing was. Having said there was a "camionnette" once, did the author have to keep using that word over and over again? Why couldn't she just write "van"? There too much research showing. The characters are all irritating and unbelievable and the author didn't seem to know which plot was driving the story forwards. All I wanted to know was what happened to Nathalie but by the time I found out, I couldn't have cared less.

Portraits from Life in 29 Steps
Portraits from Life in 29 Steps
by John Howard Sanden

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than going on a course!, 19 Feb. 2014
The reviews I read prompted me to buy this book. I wasn't expecting too much and was agreeably surprised. There are no photographs of the sitters so you don't know how true to life the finished paintings are. There are only two examples given in detail and the choice of these is slightly odd I thought (a white bishop and a Nigerian woman). I spent a lot of time considering the paint mixes and have to admit at this point that I was intending to use acrylics not oil! It is easy enough to create the Pro mix paints from the ingredients given and I put each one in a small sealed pot. The colours, as someone has said do not necessarily resemble the colours printed on the page (the same colours have printed differently on different pages in the book anyway) but this is not a book for the complete beginner!The first few instructions for doing the bishop are quite explicit and then you are more or less left to your own devices until you're in the home straight and doing the details which are well illustrated. I think as a method for paintings portraits it is well worth buying.

Watercolour Portraits with Aine Divine
Watercolour Portraits with Aine Divine
Offered by Jackson's Art Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best art tutorials ever!, 6 Jan. 2014
I have watched this DVD many times since I bought it and it has helped me improve my technique enormously. Lots of useful information and tips and best of all Aine's finished portraits look like her sitters.

Magimix Le Mini Plus Food Processor, Chrome Finish
Magimix Le Mini Plus Food Processor, Chrome Finish

5.0 out of 5 stars A kitchen gadget I wouldn't be without, 12 Nov. 2013
I bought this after reading Which? reviews. It was the only small food processor that Which? said whisked egg whites - and it does it very well, ditto cream. I like the grater blade, it easily produces fine grated carrot and cabbage for coleslaw and grates cheese well. It's good at cake mixes too. Okay it's small and you can only make one cake at a time but if you haven't the money or the room for a bigger machine this is definitely one to go for. I've had mine for a couple of years and wouldn't be without it.

The Accidental Assassin: An Island, A Poodle, A Body ...
The Accidental Assassin: An Island, A Poodle, A Body ...
by Jan Toms

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely entertaining, 27 Oct. 2013
I borrowed this book from the local library. It was a good yarn and very entertaining. Okay so it's all tongue in cheek but so what. My husband read it after me and he enjoyed it too. It won't win any fiction prizes but who cares! It'll appeal most to people with a sense of humour. I just wish she'd write more.

Bluetooth Transmitter Dongle - Audio Wireless Stereo A2DP Transmitter
Bluetooth Transmitter Dongle - Audio Wireless Stereo A2DP Transmitter

5.0 out of 5 stars Took a while to get working and then worked well, 11 Jan. 2013
I ordered this 31 December 2012 (£11.99 including postage so cheapest dongle around) and at the time was not aware it was coming from Singapore. However it arrived 8 January 2013. I wanted it to connect a Nintendo DS with 7dayshop bluetooth headphones (present as owner getting a more expensive pair). It was difficult to understand the instructions in the tiny booklet and try as I might I couldn't get them to pair up. A mini cd was included but not mentioned in the instructions. So I loaded the CD in the computer and connected the dongle via its USB connector. Downloaded whatever was on the CD. Removed both from PC and tried to match them. Still not having much success I looked for another dongle and came across one that had online instructions that sounded as if the dongle was rather similar. Followed those instructions and what a relief, sound in the headphones! Tried the dongle in other things with an audio outlet hole and it worked. Very pleased. No more trailing wires when using the Nintendo or having to carry a radio around. The package also came with a Bluetooth USB adapter which I hadn't knowingly ordered which apparently will let me connect to the computer from a mobile phone but not sure why I would want to!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2013 10:31 AM GMT

Acti-Fry by Tefal AL800040  Low Fat Electric Fryer, 1 kg Capacity, White
Acti-Fry by Tefal AL800040 Low Fat Electric Fryer, 1 kg Capacity, White
Offered by ASOGADGET4U

1.0 out of 5 stars Caveat emptor, 17 Sept. 2012
If you read a good report about this product find out how long ago the purchaser bought it. The reviews I took notice of were (obviously) all good because I thought it sounded a really good product. I should have paid attention to the one that were not so good. Less than two years old (bought December 2010) my Actifry is now unusable because the element has melted part of the inside (with a terrible smell of burning rubber). Fortunately I hadn't left it for long (this time) while it was switched on. I haven't used it very often, perhaps once or twice a week. This means it clearly has a very short life. If you do buy one, use it everyday, perhaps more than once a day then it will fail within the year's guarantee! Also make sure you pay more than £100 by credit card for it so it's covered by the credit card company. Yes, it's fine when it works but best make sure your house insurance is up to date just in case...

Darkside
Darkside
by Belinda Bauer

1.0 out of 5 stars Glad I got it from the library, 15 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Darkside (Paperback)
I picked this book up in our local library on the basis of the reviews all over the cover. (i.e "one of the most gripping wodunnits you'll read this year" Sunday Times) It was only afterwards I realised the glowing reviews were all for her first novel Blacklands. None were for this book. Talk about it not doing what it said on the tin!
Actually I quite enjoyed the first half (on the assumption the rest would live up to the claims) and then I read that Jonas, in a pub on Exmoor decided to "go to the bathroom". Do men on Exmoor refer to the toilet/gents/the bog as "the bathroom" like Americans? How odd. It made me wonder whether the book had been written in haste. I've no idea why it was set on Exmoor; it might have been the Lake District or Scotland. I read on without warming to any of the characters, except perhaps DS Reynolds and actually becoming irritated by Jonas and his rather two-dimensional wife. As others have said, the first half carries the reader along quite well, until people start dropping like flies (with no explanation even at the end as to why them and not others)and one by one various people become suspects in the eyes of John Marvel the inspector in charge of the case. We get lots of obscure references to Jonas' childhood (that are never satisfactorily explained), an abnormal number of people turn out to have mental health issues, and the ending is the most ridiculous I have ever read. Not only does the local bobby turn out to have murdered everyone (without apparently being aware that he has bludgeoned most of them to death)but the evidence that he is the killer is conveniently destroyed. I'd say give this one a miss!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2012 7:40 AM BST