Profile for Aida Attwell > Reviews

Content by Aida Attwell

Aida Attwell "weird girl" (England, UK)

My Favourite Letters
My Favourite Letters

5.0 out of 5 stars * * * * *stars!, 21 Feb. 2006
This review is from: My Favourite Letters (Audio CD)
I found out about Alice Russell when somebody suggested I listen to her because she is similar to Nikka Costa (Everybody Got Their Something).
Alice Russell's voice is deep, soulful and just a little husky now and then. The music is really catchy, just after a few listens of the funky 'A Fly In The Hand' you'll soon be humming and tapping in time with the beat. There's also a really nice jazzy piece 'To Know This'. I've given 5 stars, though it would've been 4.5 if this were allowed, because it seems all the catchier, more momorable tunes are together on the first half of the album. From 6 onwards the songs seem to go down a notch in the upbeat style of the ones before (excluding Munkaroo) leaving the album with a more mellower sound. It doesn't matter really, and of course it's not just this CD that's arranged like this, but I think it's nicer and more memorable when albums end on a happier note.
Overall if you're looking for something that's upbeat, easy going and fun you couldn't go wrong in picking up Alice Russell's 'My Favourite Letters'.

Deathwatch [DVD] [2002]
Deathwatch [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Jamie Bell
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch Deathwatch :), 17 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Deathwatch [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
This film is about a supernatural evil but mainly about the evil in humankind. It's as if all the bloodshed and horror of the war has manifested itself into... hmm, I don't know how to explain it.
I really like Deathwatch. The beginning is slow-ish, but as the story goes on it's clear that the soldiers are getting into something far more dangerous than the fighting they had left behind...
The only thing that let it down *IMHO* was the swearing throughout the film, I mean did they even have those swear words in those days? Anyway...
There aren't any named horrors or CGI wossits to mention of, except for a rather nasty bit involving barbed wire.
Jamie Bell (Billy Elliot) was superb in his role of Shakespeare, as were all the other actors. Especially that crazy dude (I've forgotten the actor's name) you could tell he enjoyed playing a real tough man.
I think the reason why people have given this film a poor rating is because it's meaning is hard to understand, and the ending is a little confusing. Though when you think about it becomes clearer, and what had happened to the men is... well I won't tell you that. You'll have to see it for yourself :P
4 stars. Give it a chance, it really is a good film.

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars, 1 Mar. 2005
I'd say that this album is only for the real fans of The Flaming Lips. This was the first album of their's that I've bought and I thought it was really quirky and fun. My favourite songs on it are mostly on the first half of the album.
Then I bought the album 'The Soft Bulletin' and found out it was waaaaaaaaay better then YBTPRs!
So if you're new to The Flaming Lips then I suggest you start with The Soft Bulletin rather than this album.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2009 2:37 PM GMT