Profile for go_europe > Reviews

go_europe

Bach at St Bavo's
Bach at St Bavo's

4.0 out of 5 stars Bach in slo-mo, 29 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Bach at St Bavo's (Audio CD)
Those of us with a love for organ music have heard most of the pieces on this CD many times. I thought I knew them intimately, but I was still curious to hear a recording of them on the famous Müller organ which, after all, dates from the time when Bach was alive. However, after the first few measures already, I was dissappointed. Michael Murray is one of the greats, so why the slow tempo? It took a second listening to appreciate the pace. I am used to bombastic sounds that leave me breathless, but in this interpretation you can hear Bach, the harmonist, the brilliant tone smith and the diligent worker. You can practically see the complicated web of notes all around you before they culminate in the final chord. An interesting rendition!

Sense and Sensibility - The Diaries: Diaries and Screenplay
Sense and Sensibility - The Diaries: Diaries and Screenplay
by Emma Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars It Feels Like Playing a Fly on the Wall, 8 Sept. 2002
Emma Thompson gives us a glorious account of what was going on behind the scenes in the making of the film. I especially appreciated the little explanations for us ignorants when she used filmmakers' jargon. The most endearing feature about this book is, though, that it makes those giants in the film business look like real people and we like them all the better for it!

Truly Madly Deeply [VHS] [1990]
Truly Madly Deeply [VHS] [1990]
VHS
Offered by rdowns33

5.0 out of 5 stars Another English Success, 5 Sept. 2002
This film is another in a long line of great English filmmaking. The makers managed to take a very touchy subject and tell a story around it in a way that does not make you feel embarrassed. The actors' perfomance is first class. They make the characters seem totally believable. I felt Nina's grief like it was my own and sobbed along with her. Alan Rickman never ceases to amaze me in the variety of roles he can play and if he was faking his playing the cello he did it very well. I will never be able to listen to cello music by Bach again without remembering Nina and Jamie.

The Wombles: Camping And Cloudberries [VHS]
The Wombles: Camping And Cloudberries [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Endearing characters, 13 Jun. 2000
If my children were the judges, they would give it 6 stars! There are very few shows that they are in love with as much as they are with this one. I myself find the dolls and their different characters endearing. They seem to just accept each other with all their little oddities. The stories are everyday situations (for Wombles anyway) that the children can relate to. A wonderful alternative to many of the popular shows out there!