Profile for Lisa Busby > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Kicking the Bucket List: The perfect summer read
The Kicking the Bucket List: The perfect summer read

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe a little over-written, 8 July 2017
Some moving parts to this story and at first I really liked the premise but I did start to lose interest half way through and skipped over some paragraphs. I did shed some tears though so I wasn't totally disconnected.

The Keeper of Lost Things: The feel-good novel of the year
The Keeper of Lost Things: The feel-good novel of the year

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely characters, 2 July 2017
Some really likeable, gentle characters although I was beginning to lose interest in the final third of the book. I would read this author again.

The Handmaid's Tale (Vintage Classics)
The Handmaid's Tale (Vintage Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Twenty-three years later, 7 Jun. 2017
That's how long ago it was since I first read The Handmaid' s Tale. I recall feeling chilled by this story and considering it's real possibilities and having just finished it, with a different brain from experience, I ask myself the same question again. In all honesty, I can't really see this happening but in a world such as ours anything is possible. And, of course, such treatment of people does happen which makes reading this story terrifying.

The novel itself is threaded with such anger that I could feel it in my bones as I read her words. I wanted to punch and kick and scream at everybody and everything; get my hands on an aunt and ring her neck the same with the commanders.

What is so clever with this book is that for all the mis-treatment of the 'lower people' there is not one person who can possibly be happy or comfortable in the world they have created and you can feel for almost everyone. Almost.

I felt suffocated with every sentence; that is craftsmanship.

Dark Matter: An Intelligent and Mind-bending Thriller Full of Twists and Turns
Dark Matter: An Intelligent and Mind-bending Thriller Full of Twists and Turns

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual page turner, 1 May 2017
This book got me thinking, what would I do in that position? A thought provoking and exciting novel that I would recommend.

Sealskin
Sealskin

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 15 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Sealskin (Kindle Edition)
This story reads like an old folk tale with beautiful rhythm and heart. There is a gentle sadness that flows through every page and I felt as though I had stepped back in time and could be sitting under an old oak tree whilst the storyteller wove his tale. Wonderful.

A Monster Calls
A Monster Calls

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite, 20 Nov. 2016
This review is from: A Monster Calls (Kindle Edition)
Beautiful. Heart wrenching. Wonderfully told, so deep in its simplicity that it breaks your heart. Tears streaming as I write this review. This story is going to stay with me for a long time.

Charm and Strange (Flat Stanley)
Charm and Strange (Flat Stanley)
by Stephanie Kuehn

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully crafted, 30 Aug. 2016
Loved this book. Stephanie Kuehn gives just enough to get you thinking and omits heaps to create curiosity. Her sentence structure and voice is strong and the whole time I was reading this book I was thinking is it???? (not going to give spoilers). Metaphorical, moving and intriguing I did not lack the understanding of the subject matter dealt with here but still had moments of am I right? A strong disturbing lead character which has to be a good thing. I will definitely be looking for more of her work.

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece
My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny and moving, 7 Aug. 2016
This book has some genuine laugh out loud moments in the depths of a difficult topic. Read it in one day. Would recommend

Slade House
Slade House

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 7 July 2016
This review is from: Slade House (Kindle Edition)
Totally loved this book. Had just finished The Bone Clocks and needed more from this author and I was not disappointed. Gripping, engaging and creepy at times, another unusual tale with horrific and engaging characters. So glad I have discovered David Mitchell. One chapter even gave me nightmares. Brilliant!

Neverwhere
Neverwhere
by Neil Gaiman

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read anything by this author., 23 May 2016
This review is from: Neverwhere (Paperback)
Love this author, love his books. Fairy tales for adults, superb! Great story teller with an enviable imagination.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4